Vaseline Dangers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Vaseline Dangers

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:43 pm

The scientific analysis of vaseline on this site show that the product is not as pure and safe as many on this board have been led to believe.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/re ... 20warnings

Here's a sample:

BRAND REPORT: Vaseline
owned by Unilever

12 ingredients potentially contaminated with impurities linked to cancer or other significant health problems POLYSORBATE-20 [3], POLYQUATERNIUM-10 [1], PEG-STEARATES [5], PETROLATUM [9], CETEARETH-20 [2], PEG-8 DILAURATE [1], TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [14], DMDM HYDANTOIN [17], WHITE PETROLATUM [7], ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE [2], COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE [1], QUATERNIUM-15 [1]

2 ingredients thought to possibly cause cancer in humans, based on limited data (limited evidence carcinogen) TRIETHANOLAMINE [12], FD&C BLUE 1 [3]

2 ingredients posing potential breast cancer risks METHYLPARABEN [16], PROPYLPARABEN [1]

1 ingredient considered an irritant AMMONIUM CHLORIDE [1]

4 ingredients considered toxic in one or more government assessments POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE [1], IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE [11], AMMONIUM CHLORIDE [1], IODOPROPYL BUTYLCARBAMATE [1]

2 ingredients posing neurotoxicity hazards IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE [11], BHT [8]

2 ingredients considered potential endocrine disruptor(s), raising concern for impaired fertility or development, and increased risks for certain cancers METHYLPARABEN [16], PROPYLPARABEN [1]

3 ingredients potentially harmful to the immune system TRIETHANOLAMINE [12], QUATERNIUM-15 [1], BHT [8]

4 ingredients posing potential gastrointestinal or liver toxicity hazards POLYSORBATE-20 [3], BENZOPHENONE-3 [1], IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE [11], BHT [8]

2 ingredients posing cardiovascular or blood toxicity hazards POLYSORBATE-20 [3], QUATERNIUM-15 [1]

6 ingredients posing skin or sense organ toxicity hazards LACTIC ACID [8], TRIETHANOLAMINE [12], METHYLPARABEN [16], QUATERNIUM-15 [1], PROPYLPARABEN [1], BHT [8]

...and it goes on and on and on and on. Read the full report at the above link and decide if you want this stuff near your nose and mouth.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:54 pm

How will this affect someone poisoned with Agent Orange by our government, and regularly dipped in used Diesel motor oil and fuel and had to eat in a building 15 foot by 10 foot with twenty chain smokers for 17.6 years.

In this world you have to be tough. Jim

This topic sounds familiar, Didn't Guest just ride this topic the other day?
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Axmigo

Post by Axmigo » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:27 pm

You dumba** guest, you are giving all guest posts a bad name. That is not the ingredient list for Vaseline. You can even see this in the link you provided - if you are a little careful in reading.

Do you know during the last 60 years as we began to use more and more chemicals, our life span increased dramatically. Do you suffer from chemophobia?

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:01 pm

Guest provided a great link. Suggest bookmarking the HOME page. With careful reading you can find out a lot of good info about what we are putting in/on our bodies and into the environment. You have to sort out the additives from the base product and check to see where the risk is (like it may be in manufacturing and not in use). It is best read and interpreted yourself rather than relying on someone else's interpretation or taken out of context.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

tomjax

Vaseline

Post by tomjax » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:36 pm

IMHO, the GUEST posting is pure BS,

Unfortunately, it may just scare some u nsuspecting person.

Ignorance does not help at all either.
Chicken little strikes again.

guessed

take home advice

Post by guessed » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:08 pm

Notice that all those lip-smacking terrible terrible things that will happen if you use "Vaseline®" reference the full spectrum of products under the Vaseline® label. That is to say, you will need to take Vaseline® MOISTURIZER, LIP BALM, LIP TREATMENT, BATH OIL, BATH SALTS, BATH SOAK, DIAPER CREAM, BUBBLE BATH, ANTI-ITCH CREAM, RASH CREAM, FACIAL MOISTURIZER, and FACIAL TREATMENT, mix them all together....

Then simultaneously EAT IT, DRINK IT, INHALE IT, BATHE IN IT, PAINT YOUR FACE WITH IT, PUT IT IN YOUR DIAPERS, PUT IT UP YOUR NOSE AND LEAVE IT THERE !!!

Anyone brave enough to do all that richly deserves whatever happens next.

(rubbing a small amount of Vaseline® (the petroleum jelly) on the external nares to improve the comfort and effectiveness of CPAP is of no consequence and not worth babbling about.)

Nevertheless, thanks for thinking of us, chicken little.

Oh, and by the way, in your next thread tell us about the hazards of dihydrogen monoxide, I hear that stuff is DANGEROUS !!!!!!

kteague

Vaseline - Take It Or Leave It

Post by kteague » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:34 am

Last nite I read the "Last Word" thread and was surprised to find such intensity over opinions. Seems I had missed the original thread that turned ugly, since I don't need Vaseline. (Which, if I did, I'd have no real concern about using a dab if it helped, weighed against the risks of ineffectively treated sleep apnea.) What I read unsettled me. I am new to this forum and was so grateful to have found what I described as "a wonderfully supportive group of people". Although there are some things I've been very vocal about based on my personal experiences, now I'm almost afraid to post anything for dread of ambush if I say something I thought I was informed about but maybe needed more objective information. In a forum such as this we will run the gamut of life-approaches, from the alarmists (Chicken Littles) to the daredevil tempters of fate. A reader who is capable of going online to find a chat room is capable of either gleaning from the posts what their research can substantiate, or simply asking their doctor.

Admittedly, I am a bit biased toward wanting information. I have been injured by chemicals treated too casually by my superiors (docs), prescribed meds in spite of contraindications based on other meds and/or conditions and told "it's not usually a problem" (I was unusual), and left to find my own answers after docs and pharmacist couldn't help. Oh, and one of the urban legend web sites called a claim circulating against a medication fradulent - next day results of a formal study were released and the warnings were immediate.

Dear Guest, thank you for being a watchdog, but please do your homework to prevent disseminating misleading information. It kinda sounds like you accepted propaganda as fact.

Guesto

Try the other Board

Post by Guesto » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:29 am

kteague -- I browse and post on the American Sleep Apnea Association's forum and only occassionally post here.

While you'll note that some people are members of both boards, I think you'll find the ASAA forum preferable: people are more civil, mature, genuinely helpful, and there are fewer flame wars.

Reece

tomjax

flame

Post by tomjax » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:59 am

Then you should feel better by exclusively visiting and posting there.
IMHO, those who post misleading and uninformed material, should be challenged in a civil manner.
Ad hominen attacks serve no purpose and rarely happen here.
Thanks for your revealing post.

Amigo

Re: Try the other Board

Post by Amigo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:00 am

Guesto wrote:kteague -- I browse and post on the American Sleep Apnea Association's forum and only occassionally post here.

While you'll note that some people are members of both boards, I think you'll find the ASAA forum preferable: people are more civil, mature, genuinely helpful, and there are fewer flame wars.

Reece
However, a word of caution as the ASAA is a very highly edited site.

Just try to post information about changing settings on your CPAP, or direct someone (except in a private message) to a "storefront" for buying supplies and I guarantee you that the moderators will delete the post.

The attitude there is that ONLY your doctor or DME provider should have the ability to make adjustments, and that you should solely rely on them for answers to your questions in that regard.

It is the main reason I no longer post or visit that Forum. I prefer one where they foster the completely open and honest discussion of all aspects of Sleep Apnea and its treatment, and DO NOT censor discussions

It is no wonder there is less controversy there...lol.

Amigo

Re: Vaseline - Take It Or Leave It

Post by Amigo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:05 am

kteague wrote:...It kinda sounds like you accepted propaganda as fact.
Amen, kteague. It's called scare tactics, and obviously some people with small minds seem to thrive on it.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:16 am

Amigo wrote:
Guesto wrote:kteague -- I browse and post on the American Sleep Apnea Association's forum and only occassionally post here.

Reece
Amigo... that's right. They just edit out any dissenting opinions... makes it look like everyone is nicey-nice and agrees. LOL!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Some Other Guest

Post by Some Other Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:28 am

Amigo wrote:

Reece

Just try to post information about changing settings on your CPAP, or direct someone (except in a private message) to a "storefront" for buying supplies and I guarantee you that the moderators will delete the post.

The attitude there is that ONLY your doctor or DME provider should have the ability to make adjustments, and that you should solely rely on them for answers to your questions in that regard.

It is the main reason I no longer post or visit that Forum. I prefer one where they foster the completely open and honest discussion of all aspects of Sleep Apnea and its treatment, and DO NOT censor discussions

It is no wonder there is less controversy there...lol.

Brent Hutto

Post by Brent Hutto » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:35 am

The argument about moderated vs. unmoderated forums is older than the Internet. It will never be decided one way or another because there will always be people who strongly prefer each option.

Options are a good thing and being too quick to disparage those with different preferences to your own is IMO a sign of insecurity, ignorance or both. The nasty eruption of name-calling over Vaseline, of all insignificant matters, should illustrate clearly why some people prefer a discussion in which comments are civil, attributable and uncontroversial even at the cost of leaving some stones unturned (specifically self-treatment advice).
The best laid schemes o' mice and men
Gang aft a-gley;
And leave us naught but grief and pain
For promised joy

--Robert Burns

PhilinOK

Post by PhilinOK » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:50 am

I said it before, and I will say it again, just register with this site, and no problems will occur. I have never seen anyone with a registered name be flamed. But I do see Guests starting things, especially in regards to Vaseline. I see guests poasting to look like users, I see Guests posting misinformation, and I see Guests being a PITA. That is why alot of boards require you to register, but we want to leave this board open for the casual Guest. Sooo, we are going to have incidents like these. So be it. It is the way it is.

As for Vaseline boy, Chicken Little suits him well.

Phil