Sleep-breaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
growing

Sleep-breaks

Post by growing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:35 am

(http://s1304.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=0)

How to brake these breaks? Opinions invited, please.

cosmo

Re: Sleep-breaks

Post by cosmo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:21 am

How long has it been going on? On any meds? How is the sleep hygiene and diet?

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:11 pm

I don't know too much about your machine but you might try unplugging it and it might reset itself when you replug it?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

growing

Post by growing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:17 pm

cosmo wrote:How long has it been going on? On any meds? How is the sleep hygiene and diet?
- I am not on meds.

- I am disciplined in diet department except take lot of Darjeeling tea with milk.

- I would appreciate if you could specify the parameters you have wanted on sleep hygiene.

Have you stopped or still taking that Ambien or some thing and what is your inference on that experiment?

Thank you and other posters, too.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Looks like you're turning the machine off and back on. Are you aware of doing this?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

simplyme

Post by simplyme » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:46 pm

That is really odd readings, since I'm assuming you are not turning your machine off and then back on in your sleep! If you are you must be doing something similar to sleepwalking because most people just turn the machine off when asleep!
I wonder if power problems would cause the machine to turn off and on again? I noticed that it is ramping up again each time so it cant be just a data break otherwise it would just continue to show full pressure...
Hopefully someone here with more knowledge will see your post and offer an explanation and solution...

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi,

Any cats or small children in the house? The reason I ask is due to the cat issue that "khauser" just posted about (his kitty figured out how to hit the ramp button).

-john-

growing

Post by growing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 pm

archangle wrote:Looks like you're turning the machine off and back on. Are you aware of doing this?
Should not I turn the machine 'off' when I have to go to the wash-room or do a short chore?

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Are you actually getting up and turning the machine off at each of those breaks during the night?

I think that everyone is assuming that you are asleep (or think that you are asleep) for the whole night and that your question is "Why does my data look this way?"

Is your question really "How can I stop waking up (and turning my machine off) so many times during the night?"
jeff

growing

Post by growing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:15 pm

jdm2857 wrote:Are you actually getting up and turning the machine off at each of those breaks during the night?

I think that everyone is assuming that you are asleep (or think that you are asleep) for the whole night and that your question is "Why does my data look this way?"

Is your question really "How can I stop waking up (and turning my machine off) so many times during the night?"
Yes, that is my question.
During every break, I turn the machine 'off' and head for the wash room, mostly.

simplyme

Post by simplyme » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:31 pm

growing wrote:
jdm2857 wrote:Are you actually getting up and turning the machine off at each of those breaks during the night?

Yes, that is my question.
During every break, I turn the machine 'off' and head for the wash room, mostly.
:lol: wow that would have been a good thing to mention in your first question....
Try not drinking too much before bed....

Or if it seems like you have suddenly begun to need to get up way too often see your Dr. About possible infections or other issues like diabetes....

Lesson to the rest of us... we need to ask more specific questions... or we'll get and give a lot of unneeded info

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:25 am

growing wrote:
- I would appreciate if you could specify the parameters you have wanted on sleep hygiene.

Have you stopped or still taking that Ambien or some thing and what is your inference on that experiment?
Sleep hygiene is not eating sweets after a certain time, going to be at the same time, enough hours of rest, etc.

I have only tried sleeping meds with the same active ingredients as Benadryl (diphenhydramine). Did not work at all in keeping me asleep.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:46 am

growing wrote:
archangle wrote:Looks like you're turning the machine off and back on. Are you aware of doing this?
Should not I turn the machine 'off' when I have to go to the wash-room or do a short chore?
Turning the machine off when you get up is fine. If you can tolerate it, stop using the ramp function so you start at full pressure.

It just wasn't clear from your first post whether you were turning the machine off deliberately, if you were turning it off in your sleep, if the machine was shutting down on it's own, or if it was just something strange in your data.

Some of the people who replied seemed to think it was a technical problem. I understand now that you're turning the machine off.

Apnea does tend to make your bladder overactive during the night. Many people find they need fewer bathroom breaks once they use CPAP right. It may take a while. How long have you been on CPAP?

Why do you think you're waking up? Do you think you are waking up because you need a bathroom break, or are you waking up for other reasons and deciding to take a bathroom break?

Tea is a diuretic. I don't know how long the diuretic effect lasts, so you might try not drinking late in the day, or stop entirely for a few days as an experiment. You might also try drinking a moderately large amount of water long enough before bedtime to let you "flush out" your system, and then drink little if any water a few hours before bed.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

growing

Post by growing » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 am

archangle wrote:
growing wrote:
Turning the machine off when you get up is fine. If you can tolerate it, stop using the ramp function so you start at full pressure.

It just wasn't clear from your first post whether you were turning the machine off deliberately, if you were turning it off in your sleep, if the machine was shutting down on it's own, or if it was just something strange in your data.

Some of the people who replied seemed to think it was a technical problem. I understand now that you're turning the machine off.

Apnea does tend to make your bladder overactive during the night. Many people find they need fewer bathroom breaks once they use CPAP right. It may take a while. How long have you been on CPAP?

Why do you think you're waking up? Do you think you are waking up because you need a bathroom break, or are you waking up for other reasons and deciding to take a bathroom break?

Tea is a diuretic. I don't know how long the diuretic effect lasts, so you might try not drinking late in the day, or stop entirely for a few days as an experiment. You might also try drinking a moderately large amount of water long enough before bedtime to let you "flush out" your system, and then drink little if any water a few hours before bed.
Thanks.

The lesson learned. The quantity of tea I consume seems to be the culprit. I will reduce it by 80% for the next 10 days, to start with.

I have been on CPAP since the last 17/18 months.

These days, I do not use 'ramp'.

Last edited by growing on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

growing

Post by growing » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:46 am

cosmo wrote:
growing wrote:

Sleep hygiene is not eating sweets after a certain time, going to be at the same time, enough hours of rest, etc.

I have only tried sleeping meds with the same active ingredients as Benadryl (diphenhydramine). Did not work at all in keeping me asleep.
Then, sleep hygiene is also the area where I can improve. Presently, I must confess, it is not very satisfactory.

I had started thinking towards sleep meds. Now, I am closing this chapter.

Thanks for the useful info.