Autism and maternal apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
quietmorning

Autism and maternal apnea

Post by quietmorning » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Have there been any studies that you could point me to that might link maternal sleep apnea (pregnant untreated mother) and autism in the child born?

Thanks!

borgready

Re: Autism and maternal apnea

Post by borgready » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Was the child born with autism or did it develop later on?

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:29 pm

How bad was the sleep apnea? Was it mild an not noticeable or was it bad and there was several major events of not breathing during the pregnancy?

I doubt there is any studies that are public on something like this as it would be criminal to research it. I would say they would blame it on drugs or toxins, physical truama, or lack of nutrition? If there are one or more events of not breathing everyday of the pregnancy then its got to effect the child in someway.

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:34 pm

How early can autism be noticed and what is the test that show there are problems? I know there are several tests that are reflex tests that check certain functions for the nervous system.

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:40 pm

SIDs is a malfunction of the nervous system of a baby that keeps the baby from waking up and seeking a position that allows access to air.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:53 pm

What does SIDS have to do with anything?

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:31 pm

My grandson was just diagnosed with autism, it has been a question since he he was very small - it has finally been confirmed - he is now two. Apnea runs in my family - I was the first to be diagnosed, my mother and (now deceased) father were both diagnosed, and for the same reason I was - too small airways. My son is going to go get tested - he is very thin, but wakes up breathless and dreams that he is suffocating. When I was in CT with my daughter, I mentioned apnea to her as she gasps in her sleep. She has said that she will get tested, but so far has not done so. She is now pregnant with her second baby - I brought it up again.

So, I was wondering if apnea has anything to do with autism when the mother's oxygen level is too low.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:46 pm

But what makes you think there's a connection at all?

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Julie wrote:But what makes you think there's a connection at all?
I don't know if there would be, I'm more wondering if it's ever been considers as being a connection - and if there have ever been any studies on it. Right now there's a gamut of things that 'might' cause it - but it's truly anyone's guess at this point. . .so it's just my brain looking at possibilities, and if it's a possibility, then maybe if it's a key in the puzzle, there might be some help out there to prevent some of the future children from being subject to the disorder.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:38 pm

The last I read it is somewhat correlated with obesity and inflammation of the mother and now they think it might be related to what the previous generation experienced.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:51 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:The last I read it is somewhat correlated with obesity and inflammation of the mother and now they think it might be related to what the previous generation experienced.

Thank you, BlackSpinner, I guess when there's a new diagnosis my mind goes to all sorts of puzzle fixing directions.

HA! My grandson's previous generation. . .and the one before that and the one before that. . . ohhhhhhh my. . . .it's a wonder he's here at all!

Lazer1234

Post by Lazer1234 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:25 pm

I think a common cause can be infection of bacteria. A tick bite with Lyme disease along with other bacteria may interfere with the immune system and damage the nerves and even brain cells. There are strong suspicions that it is transmitted to the unborn child as well.
Although theories about links to sleep disorders, fibromyalgia, ADHD, CFS m, m,
Saw the other day that they found links between bacteria and Reumathid Arthritis too.

Everything I write I translate through Google Translate.
Hope you have patience with that, sometimes it can get a little crazy.
/Lazer1234

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Lazer1234 wrote:I think a common cause can be infection of bacteria. A tick bite with Lyme disease along with other bacteria may interfere with the immune system and damage the nerves and even brain cells. There are strong suspicions that it is transmitted to the unborn child as well.
Although theories about links to sleep disorders, fibromyalgia, ADHD, CFS m, m,
Saw the other day that they found links between bacteria and Reumathid Arthritis too.
My mom was diagnosed with RA just weeks after her exposure to spinal meningitis. I think it was the immune system going for it and missing by a mile. She reacted very strangely to the meningitis - no fever, just a bad headache, then boom, she was in the bed for months with her first RA attack - it was a whopper. I think the meningitis was the precursor that triggered an already faulty immune system.

Loreena

Post by Loreena » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Sent to email list by Steven Park: http://doctorstevenpark.com

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 04:06 AM PDT

Sleep Apnea May Increase the Risk of Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a common condition among Americans. This is well evident as one in 15 Americans suffers from this condition these days. A new study states that women who have OSA are highly prone to high risk health conditions during pregnancy, which is fatal to their babies and the mothers. The study said that those babies that were born to women with OSA condition are more likely to be admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit than those babies that are delivered by healthy mothers.

Details of the study

The study was conducted on obese women who were pregnant. The study revealed that the women with Sleep Apnea were more prone to develop preeclampsia, which is a serious condition of high blood pressure during pregnancy, where an emergency caesarean section may be required. The complications during pregnancy of obese women were also linked to high blood pressure and gestational diabetes. These two medical conditions are always understudied and under-diagnosed in women who are pregnant, according to the researchers. The study researcher and Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of South Florida, Dr. Judette Louis, said that there is a need for better methods to test for and treat sleep apnea among women during their pregnancy.

Nature of Sleep Apnea

Usually, people who experience this condition gasp for air while sleeping. Women who are overweight face a higher risk of experiencing this condition, as fat in the throat can narrow the airway and can cause difficulty breathing at night.

Findings of the study

In this new study, researchers analyzed the condition of over 175 obese women who were pregnant and were screened for OSA in their homes by offering them a small portable device. About 15% of participants were found to have OSA. These participants were a bit heavier and had higher blood pressure levels than those who did not have OSA. Among those pregnant women who had OSA, about 65% needed a caesarean section while 33% of those without this condition needed a C-section to deliver their baby.

In addition, the study revealed that 42% of those with sleep apnea had preeclampsia when compared to 17% of those who did not have this condition. However, the premature birth rate was similar between the groups involved in the study. The percentage of newborn babies that required admission to NICU was 46% of the mothers who had OSA. This is much higher when compared to the 18% of those mothers who did not have sleep apnea. Researchers feel this might be because of the high rate of the caesarean births among the group of women who have sleep apnea. However, it is not clear on the effects of sleep apnea among women who are not obese as this study focuses on obese women.

Rania Paula, Author of this article writes for http://www.sleepwellblog.com. A weblog providing information about various sleep disorders such as insomnia, sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, sleep deprivation, etc and there by helping you to have good night sleep.

Last edited by Loreena on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
+ Original Deluxe-Style Chinstrap + Nexcare Low Trauma tape

Loreena

Post by Loreena » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Sent by Dr. Steven Park to email list: http://doctorstevenpark.com/

Posted: 08 Nov 2013 04:00 AM PST

Snoring in Pregnancy Linked to Higher Health Risks

There’s been lots of studies in the past showing that obstructive sleep apnea during pregnancy can be potentially dangerous to the mother and baby’s health, but unfortunately, these finding haven’t made their way into being used in clinical practice. Here’s another study that supports the need to screen for OSA on a regular basis: Snoring before or during pregnancy was found to be associated with significantly higher rates of pre-term delivery and c-section rates. Women who snored were 2/3 more likely to have smaller babies and about 2 times more likely to undergo a c-section. Knowing that weight gain is a major risk factor for sleep apnea, it’s important to make sure you do or don’t have this condition if you’re pregnant. Lack of sleep and repeated oxygen deprivation is not very healthy for the mother or the baby.