No humidifier have excessive condensation in nasal pillows

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lakeboy29073

No humidifier have excessive condensation in nasal pillows

Post by lakeboy29073 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm

I wake up about every hour with moisture drops going into my nose. I do not use a humidifier because I have too much moisture already.
The cause is that I keep a cool room to sleep in and I am always hot. Making my room warmer will improve this, but then I sweat.

While keeping a bedroom cool, and not using a humidifier at all, is a there a cure for the excessive condesate that builds inside my nasal pillows and eventually drips into my nose?

HoseCrusher

Re: No humidifier have excessive condensation in nasal pillows

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:45 pm

The first thing to try is to get gravity to work with you instead of against you.

Even with wind blowing water tends to roll downhill. If you can route your hose and machine so they are lower than your head you may find that helps.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Keeping your hose covered may help.
Just cut the toes out of a couple of pairs of knee socks, and cover the hose with them.
This may help, too:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -hose.html
Pad-a-Cheek has one with a zipper.

lakeboy29073

Post by lakeboy29073 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Bonecrusher. I currently have the machine on a night stand about 1 foot below my level (when on the mattress). Tonight, I will put in on the floor and have it about 4 feet below me. It would be awesome if that fixed it.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Whats going to happen if all that moisture goes back into the machine? Probably would be better to connect a humidifier with some water and not turn it on.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Good catch, Cosmo.
Let the water run into the humidifier, where it won't mess up the blower electronics.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:31 pm

lakeboy29073 wrote:I currently have the machine on a night stand about 1 foot below my level (when on the mattress). Tonight, I will put in on the floor and have it about 4 feet below me. It would be awesome if that fixed it.
Since your machine is already below your head, I'd leave it where it is. You don't want it sitting on the floor, in any event. The suggestion made above (about attaching the humidifier, whether or not there's anything in it) is a good one; since the machine is below your head, gravity will see to it that condensation in your mask/hose is able to drip back into your machine. That's something you definitely want to avoid.

Some people keep the hose under the covers to keep it warm; if you don't move around much at night, hose clips (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cpap-h ... igodigital) are a handy accessory to help make that work. If that's not an option, make a hose cover (or buy one). Karen (http://padacheek.com/) makes nice fleece covers for many masks, as well as hose covers and other comfort items for xpap users. Doing what you can to keep your mask and hose warmer will help prevent rainout.

You don't say which mask you're using, but you might try some of the other rainout solutions in the Lab Rat Trophy Awards thread (viewtopic.php?t=15104). Necessity is the mother of invention, and this forum has benefited from some very clever problem-solving members, like this one: viewtopic.php?p=298845#298845

HTH. Good luck.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

rjezuit

Post by rjezuit » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:27 pm

I have the same problem sleeping outside in the summer while camping. Try and cover the hose as much as possible to keep it warm. You will get some condensation in the pillows, but not as much. I have woken up to water running down the side of my face more than a few time outside in the cool, damp air. You might try dropping the humidity in the room, that might help also.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Nasal pillow mask?

Check out Padacheek's barrel cozies.
http://www.padacheek.com/PACSwiftII_Barrel_cozy.html

I got one a couple of years ago because of the rain out in the pillow (that's from the moisture in your exhaled breath and your cooler bedroom) for the same problem you are having and it helped a lot. Just adds another level of insulation to help limit the conditions that cause the condensation.
I have used mine pretty much every night...even in the summer when not needed...just because the material feels so nice against the skin.

I have read of people putting a little bit of cotton twine inside the nasal pillow barrel to absorb the condensation...but that sort of made me nervous for some reason.

If you are handy you might be able to make your own barrel cozy. I am not so handy anymore...so I don't do homemade comfort features anymore. Karen at Padacheek makes her products so much nice than what I would or could do.
But people do make their own so if you are talented in that area....just fix up a light weight little cover for the barrel.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.