Has anyone switched from PR to Resmed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BleepingBeauty

Has anyone switched from PR to Resmed?

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Looking for opinions from anyone who's switched from a PR machine to a Resmed.

I've used PR machines for 11 years now and am not unhappy with my therapy. But I need a new ASV and am curious about the differences between the two. (Not sure it makes sense to change horses in the middle of the stream, but I'll definitely consider it if the consensus is that a Resmed ASV provides better therapy.)

TIA
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

palerider

Re: Has anyone switched from PR to Resmed?

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:39 pm
Looking for opinions from anyone who's switched from a PR machine to a Resmed.

I've used PR machines for 11 years now and am not unhappy with my therapy. But I need a new ASV and am curious about the differences between the two. (Not sure it makes sense to change horses in the middle of the stream, but I'll definitely consider it if the consensus is that a Resmed ASV provides better therapy.)

TIA
I've only switched with cpap/apap, and quite prefer the resmed.

If you're not happy with your therapy, I think it certainly makes sense to give the other machine a try, and see if it works better for you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:53 pm

i went from the pr560 auto to the resmed 10 auto. the results are simply unbelieveable. i went from AHI 5-10, never below 5 and some up to 15, to mostly well below 5 at one and two and occasionally up to 10. i know you asked about variable machines. this is my experience with auto.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:18 pm

I have actually use both the ResMed brand ASV (the S9 Adapt) and the PR System one 60 Series model 960 which is Respironics ASV machine and I preferred ResMed...it was less noisy in terms of a minor reduction in motor noise and breathing noise plus I was able to use about 4 cm less EPAP with the ResMed than with the Respironics and get similar results.
I don't have central apnea like you do...just plain OSA and I was using ASV to treat it. I would see the machine respond to when I probably had an occasion sleep onset central with pressures in the 20s but I slept right through it and never knew it until I looked at the reports and saw a brief spike in IPAP.

ResMed does have a different algorithm though and John B Fisher once described it as the ResMed being a fast sports car and the Respironics being more like a big comfy Cadillac. They respond differently. Both will get you to where you want to go but depending on how you want to travel might make a difference in which you prefer to drive.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm

as a matter of fact, i'm doing that right now. just a few weeks in, as my resperonics was giving me mechanical difficulties and i decided to buy a new machine.

here is some of my blather, posted on this here forum-

viewtopic/t172518/Me-and-My-AirSense.ht ... 411e6a5c58
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should give the Resmed a try.

It'll be interesting to see how different it feels and whether it offers more effective therapy than I'm accustomed to (which has certainly been adequate). The potential for even better therapy is very appealing. :wink:

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should give the Resmed a try.

It'll be interesting to see how different it feels and whether it offers more effective therapy than I'm accustomed to (which has certainly been adequate). The potential for even better therapy is very appealing. :wink:
My view is that Resmed invented ASV... and are probably still ahead of Respironics...

I hope that my theory pans out with even better results for you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks, PR. I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:38 am

First auto machine a Resmed S9 loaner. It worked very well and kept me using PAP after poor experiences with the F&P ICON.

I bought a Respironics PR Series One 560 APAP for a good price as insurance for machines doesn't exist in Australia. It worked OK but I thought I could do better. I then bought a PR760 BiPAP which made significant improvements in my results. However, it seemed to try to treat events that just weren't there (according to Sleepyhead) and that bothered me along with the variable pitch fan noise.

I bit the bullet and went back to Resmed with a used S9 Auto BiLevel. The improvement was significant. I've future proofed myself by getting a Resmed Aircurve 10 VPAP auto which has taken me even further ahead (though ostensibly the S9 and the Vauto 10 share the same internal workings and algorithm). The S9 is my backup/travel machine

Bottom line is that I respond better to the Resmed with it's more aggressive algorithm as opposed the the gentler Respironics. The PR760 is the same generation as the S9.

I sold the PR760 for the same price I bought it for from Secondwind and the new owner, who suffers from chronic COPD, is grateful as he got this machine in Australia for less than half the price. It's a win for him and for me.

I still have the PR560 (sans humidifier) but can't ever see myself using it again.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:08 am

mmmm…. Cadillacs are nice..... :roll:

Sheriff

WRX03

Post by WRX03 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 am

As a repair tech I always preferred Respironics based on the great troubleshooting and their in-depth calibration program compared to the oh-humm ResMed program. But I use ResMed too. :roll:

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:32 am

If I needed a reminder about how ridiculous dealing with a DME is, I got it this morning. :roll:

I'm usually a fighter, but the past two years have worn me down, and I just don't have it in me to get through their bureaucratic bullshit. I checked secondwind's offerings, but even their used ASVs are well over $1K. :shock:

So I'm just going to keep using the old tank, unplugging it whenever possible during a storm. *heavy sigh*

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am

I will watch the forum...maybe we can find a screaming hot deal on a gently used ASV of some sort.
Not long ago there was one for the S9 Adapt (which is their ASV version prior to the AirCurve 10 ASV) for $250 with less than 3K hours on it.
Never know what might pop up.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks, Brenda. I guess it's also a good time for me to start searching CL again... :?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 pm

There was an AirCurve 10 ASV on EBay couple of weeks ago and someone snatched it up before the EBay police pulled the listing.
Less than 100 hours and buy it now price at 475. If I had spotted it I would have bought it but someone else spotted it first.
If I find a screaming hot deal like that and I know we can't wait I will buy it and then you can buy it from me.