Humidifier question - Do you need to use distilled water or

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DougalMcDougal

Humidifier question - Do you need to use distilled water or

Post by DougalMcDougal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:41 am

- Do you need to use distilled water or is filtered water from a tap ok?

I'd rather not have to pay for distilled water

locust78

Re: Humidifier question - Do you need to use distilled water or

Post by locust78 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:59 am

While filtered water from the tap might be fine for drinking purposes, it will still contain certain substances that aren't all that great when used in your humidifier. Even a very good filter can leave behind certain contaminants, in particular minerals, which can build up in your reservoir. These minerals can start a chain of events that can lead to mold growth, and perhaps respiratory problems. If you watch for the sales, you can get distilled water at a fairly reasonable price.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 am

You are better off using distilled water, if you can afford it. If not, tap water is fine, but as previously stated it will eventually create deposits that will build up in the water reservoir.

Sheriff

DougalMcDougal

Post by DougalMcDougal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 am

Is it possible to use tap water, then clean the humidifier with lime scale remover or other cleaning product once a month instead of using distilled water?
I can afford it but do not want the hassle of buying it, transporting it, storing it, opening the bottle etc if there are simpler alternatives

Pachyderm's Nose

Post by Pachyderm's Nose » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 am

I pay 88 cents per gallon at walmart and one gallon lasts me 2 or 3 weeks and I empty my humidifier every day. However, if you prefer tap water you should clean with vinegar. Once a month may be ok.

Please have your equipment shown as text, it's much easier to tell what model you are using!

Heavylids

Post by Heavylids » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:50 am

DougalMcDougal wrote:Is it possible to use tap water, then clean the humidifier with lime scale remover or other cleaning product once a month instead of using distilled water?
I can afford it but do not want the hassle of buying it, transporting it, storing it, opening the bottle etc if there are simpler alternatives
A gallon of steam distilled water is less than $1 here. It's not as difficult to obtain as the above post makes it seem...lol I think it would be more hassle to buy and install a filter, de-scale my tank every week and still not be sure of what impurities I'm breathing into my lungs! No thank you.

A gallon lasts me a month and I take none if the risks associated with using plain or home filtered tap water. Quality of tap water varies greatly from city to city. Steam distilled water is generally just as pure and clean wherever you buy it.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:54 am

When you speak of not affording it....then you will pay for lime scale and cleaner... ..which is more?????? Distilled water is about $1 and you would only use 2 to 3 gallons a month, depending on how high you set your humidifier. Yes there are folks that do not use distilled water, if you have the type of tub that will go in the dishwasher...or if you don't care about bacteria.....then go for it.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:58 am

DougalMcDougal wrote:Is it possible to use tap water, then clean the humidifier with lime scale remover or other cleaning product once a month instead of using distilled water?
Welcome to the "hassle" of the humidifier. Early on, mine broke and I realized that I didn't didn't need it while it was being repaired. Ask yourself if you need it or not. A lot of people need the humidifier for person comfort, live in dry climates, allergies or personal preference. If you use tap water, you can soak the reservior in a water/vinegar solution or buy a new one (cpap.com sells your reservior for $33) once or twice a year.

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 am

You can clean mineral scale build up with a good vinegar solution if you don't want to use distilled water. Don't use one of those powerful lime scale removers like Lime Away. I don't know that that would do to the tank. Vinegar does a great job. Just like cleaning out the coffee pot.
To minimize build up dump the tank every morning and do a quick rinse out and dry.
Amount of mineral build up and how quick will depend on the mineral content of your tap water. If you live in a hard water area it will build up faster than if your mineral content is lower.

You can always give it a try and if it doesn't build up much and doesn't take much vinegar soaking then it may be an acceptable alternative for you. You can also replace the tank much more often.
You can guy a lot of distilled water for what one tank costs though. If it more for convenience though...it might be worth it too you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Carmen

Post by Carmen » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:13 am

I used distilled water until my husband tested it for dissolved solids (his job has him testing a lot of water). Turns out that the dissolved solids in the so-called distilled water we were buying was just about the same as our tap water. Now we have unusually soft tap water, so your mileage may vary, but I've stopped using distilled. My reservoir goes through the dishwasher without any problems, so I just clean it that way once a week or so.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:26 am

I just purchased a gallon for 88 cents, and it will last one month. For about ten bucks, I'm set for the whole year. As for convenience, I just picked it up when I bought shampoo, dish soap, etc. As for storing it, it sits on the floor of the bedroom, near the nightstand for ready access.
DougalMcDougal wrote:- Do you need to use distilled water or is filtered water from a tap ok?

I'd rather not have to pay for distilled water

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:36 am

You don't "need" to use distilled water - just depends on where your priorities lie. As much of a clean freak as I am, I would prefer to not have to get mineral deposits off my tank every week.

I gallon of distilled water lasts me a couple of months - I just fill it once a week, toss what's left in there and wash and completely dry my tank and swap it out with a second one.

Cheers,
xena

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:33 am

one gallon of distilled water lasts me 7-9 days.... Every morning, I dump out whatever is in the tank and let it dry during the day.

85 cents a gallon at our grocery store

$46.28 a year if I bought one once a week.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

sleeptimeinNY

Post by sleeptimeinNY » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 am

After spending a whole day trying to clean the "orange" gunk out of my humidifier, I now exclusively use distilled water - even to clean it.

Xney

Post by Xney » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 am

I only use tap water in an emergency. Beyond the cleaning issue, it tends to smell weird in the humidifier - distilled water is totally neutral.