Colonoscopy and sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
locust78

Re: Colonoscopy and sleep apnea

Post by locust78 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:18 am

I had a colonoscopy last year and didn't bring my CPAP, but I wish I had. Something about the way the oxygen cannula was placed in my nostril didn't agree with me. It gave me some kind of wind burn in my sinus which caused incredible nose-running, sneezing fits, and sinus pain for about 3–4 days afterward. Next time around I'm bringing my CPAP unit; the heck with the cannula. If they want to give me oxygen, I'll bring along a fitting that will allow it to be integrated with my hose.

RobinC1961

Post by RobinC1961 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:24 pm

My husband just had a colonoscopy last week and had an apnea episode and now has an aspiration pneumonia. We are scheduled for a CT next week as they think he may have developed an abscess. They sent him home with an inhaler and a pat on the back. Our doctor called to tell them what happened and to make a long story short we have had no follow up at all from them. Take the CPAP with you. I almost lost him.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:15 pm

You could NOT use your CPAP unless you're hospitalized in a hospital room. Normally, a colonoscopy is not extended into hospitalization.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/Documents ... viPrep.pdf

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:53 pm

--and in medicine, the abnormal happens every day.
Otherwise, we would not need it.

c4110djh

Post by c4110djh » Fri May 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Just had a colonoscopy today. Choose to pay the extra and have it in the hospital instead of surgery center b/c of the c-pap issue. I was told that they would take care of any breathing needs and I shouldn't bring my own equipment. As it turned out the supplemental oxygen kept my oxygen level normal but, twice, they had to give me something to bring up my blood pressure, (I was told to take blood pressure meds day of, which I did.) The anetesiolgist (spelling?) told me to be sure and wear my c-pap when I went home, even for a nap. I heard him tell others as well. I think once out of the hospital's care, he was concerned about the medications still in our systems and that they would suppress our breathing more. Talked to him a bit about my undiagnosed sleep apnea having caused some right sided heart damage with me. He said he was suppose to have a sleep study and that motivated him to make the app that day. Too many people wait until it's too late

Puggy1

Post by Puggy1 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:51 pm

My mother just went today for preoperative colonoscopy appt. She has had issues with anesthesia and the doc. Assured us a note would be on the chart. Also since my moms who problem is that she isnt going frequently shd would do an extended prep.

However we go over to the schedule gal and she states....she just doing standard prep and anaesthesia has already reviewed her stuff and she is to have it at the one day surgery center......not the hospital.

Mom has OSA and anytime shes had a procedure done every other doctor insists on having it in the hospital. When we both voiced concerns since her osa and other medical issues along with anaesthesia issues they acted like we were overreacting. My moms very upset and im very frustrated. I dont understand how the GI dept. Act like its no big deal however other doctors for othet procedures said it was a big deal. (The other procedures she has had done was a knee arthroscope and a dnc)

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:12 am

I brought it in, but it wasn't needed. However, I suggest bringing it in, just in case.

pitman

Post by pitman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Anesthesiologists are well equipped to handle sleep apnea. I very recently had a colonoscopy and did not need my CPAP. They admin oxygen and besides, you won't be under very long.
ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear

purple22

Post by purple22 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:27 pm

I have three colonoscopies awake, no sleepy time drugs. I sign the paper saying the doc can apply drugs if he chooses too, in case something goes wrong. I think the doc said over forty percent of his patients do the procedure without sleepy drugs. That was over four years ago, and I have a terrible memory. Just relaxation drugs.

The bigger thing was that the hospital clinic had a over nite motel just for patients. About a block from clinic. Else I am sixty miles from clinic. So I had someone bring me to motel, and take me to my car some forty miles away. I could drive myself home. The good thing about no drugs.

Puggy1

Post by Puggy1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:34 pm

We dont have any family history of cancer let alone colon cancer. So i think mom just wants to do an alternative testing method. She had MS and currently having issues with what we think is gastroparisis which can happen with MS. She just doesnt like any of these type of procedures. And since we have no family history i really think the doc's should be open to an alternative test....like the colagard. I know if that test shows an issue then she'd have to have the colonoscopy.