I really dislike the Resmed Quattro straps

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Denial Dave

I really dislike the Resmed Quattro straps

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:56 am

hate is too nasty a term, so I dislike them a lot

With my higher bi-pap presssure, I get IPAP chirps.... when the IPAP pressure reaches 20cm, the cushion leaks near my cheeks & out comes a quick chirp & I wake up.

I am using the pad-a-cheek mask liners!

As soon as the machine begins the transition to EPAP, the chirp is gone.

I end up over-tightening the lower straps to prevent these chirps from happening again. Which then causes my mild TMJ to flare up.

Last night was an absolute nightmare for me... nothing I did would stop them. I finally fell asleep out of shear exhaustion.

It didn't help that the freakin strap section along my left cheek rolled itself into a tiny tube, which made adjusting & setting the velcro a nightmare.

I'm thinking of trying out the all fleece headgear from snugglehose...

Anyone here use it?

reviews are mixed on cpap.com.... some like it, others complain that it has no elasticity.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

LSAT

Re: I really dislike the Resmed Quattro straps

Post by LSAT » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 am

padacheek also has an anti-leak strap for the Quattro
http://padacheek.com/PAC_AntiLeak_Strap.html

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:56 am

Honestly, its just headgear. Nothing more and nothing less -- Resmed seems to have one design for its FF and nasal masks and sticks with it. Clips on bottom and Velcro loops on top. Clips and dimensions vary depending if FF or nasal style masks or size ordered. (Pillow headgear has more variables). The underlying headgear fabric material the straps are constructed from seems the same. It has minor elasticity but not much -- but then again, no other brand I have used has much more or less either.

Perhaps re-review the fitting videos to see if you are putting on the headgear properly. If worn properly, with the straps flat and flush against the head and face, in the right positions, it shouldn't easily be able to wad the straps into curled 'tubes' even with a lot of movement. Perhaps one was twisted before bed.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:06 am

I've considered the anti-leak strap, but from the photo's, t doesn't look like removing the mask is easy.

It looks like it wraps over the hose connector. So in order to remove the mask, you have to disconnect the hose, unwrap the anti-leak strap and then unclip the headgear.

I've been using this Quattro mask for almost 6 months and have the "taming the mirage quattro" guidance next to my bed. Once a week, I review it to make sure I'm still doing things right.

This is the 1st time, I've experienced the curling of straps.... My DME did not send me the standard resmed straps in my last shipment. They sent me some type of universal headgear & I did not see any no name brand on it.

I'm beginning to wonder if that is the cause of the strap curling.

I'm also considering lowering my IPAP pressure from 20cm down to 19cm to see if it helps me control the bi-pap chirps.

Since my AHI is under 1, the only downside might be that it increases to about 2.

I can live with a 2.0 AHI if the chirps are gone.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 am

Denial Dave wrote:I've considered the anti-leak strap, but from the photo's, t doesn't look like removing the mask is easy.

It looks like it wraps over the hose connector. So in order to remove the mask, you have to disconnect the hose, unwrap the anti-leak strap and then unclip the headgear.

I've been using this Quattro mask for almost 6 months and have the "taming the mirage quattro" guidance next to my bed. Once a week, I review it to make sure I'm still doing things right.

This is the 1st time, I've experienced the curling of straps.... My DME did not send me the standard resmed straps in my last shipment. They sent me some type of universal headgear & I did not see any no name brand on it.

I'm beginning to wonder if that is the cause of the strap curling.

I'm also considering lowering my IPAP pressure from 20cm down to 19cm to see if it helps me control the bi-pap chirps.

Since my AHI is under 1, the only downside might be that it increases to about 2.

I can live with a 2.0 AHI if the chirps are gone.
Why would you need to take the mask off? If you are going to the bathroom, simply turn off the CPAP and unhook the hose. I have been doing that for 4+ YEARS. Once you have the mask connected properly leave it alone until morning.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 am

I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night since starting therapy.

Right now, I undo a clip and drop the mask into a basket and I'm done. Cleaning happens in the evening.

I'm thinking about being coherant enough to do all of that at 4:30AM when I get up for work.

Taking a razor to my face at that time of day is death defying enough.

90% of the time, my leaks are under control. It just these random bi-pap chirps that wake me that are getting annoying.

Having to deal with curled straps just made them worse to deal with last night.

Dave

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 am

I really think something like that anti leak strap is worth while. At work we do a similar thing - but I hadn't heard of that brand until today.

VPAP is often a challenge when it comes to mask leak. That strap seems like a good idea.

sleeptimeinNY

Post by sleeptimeinNY » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 am

If I were you, I would look into replacing that "no name" headgear with one from Resmed that belongs with the mask.

I had a similar problem when I reordered new tubing from Apria and they sent me "no name" tubing that felt like I could put my finger right through it. I called them and told them I would only accept the one from Resmed and they tried to tell me they don't stock it... but they could order it. It's all about convenience and money for them. They did send me the correct one.

I'm due for new headgear, so we will see what they send me.

Good luck!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Put your mask and machine on and lie in you usual sleeping position. Now adjust the straps DURING the epap phase. That should help.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:43 pm

sleepstar wrote:I really think something like that anti leak strap is worth while. At work we do a similar thing - but I hadn't heard of that brand until today.

VPAP is often a challenge when it comes to mask leak. That strap seems like a good idea.

Would the anti-leak straps also help with eye-leaks? The other morning I got up and had to struggle to open my left eye. Having a real hard time controlling eye leaks. The AHI is steadily going up from less than 1.0 to over 4.0 the last 7 days or so. Appreciate any ideas people have.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 pm

to put things in perspective, last night my AHI was 0.61...

95% or more of the time, my leaks were 10.80 or less. My max leak was 13.6 & the overnight leak average was at 1.96!!!

which when you consider I am on bi-pap with pressure settings of 20 IPAP and 14.4 EPAP, is pretty darn good.

So the curling of the straps was the cause of major annoyance for me. The curling prevented me from being able to deal with the bipap chirping properly.

I just dug into my box of spares and pulled out a new resmed set of headgear.

Janknitz -- I'll give your suggestion try !! Your "taming of the mirage quattro" guidance is what helped me be this successfull with this mask so far.

Dave
Dave

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:57 pm

I haven't seen that exact strap - but we use something similar at work and it definitely helps with leak near the eyes.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:14 pm

http://www.padacheek.com/index.html

This is Karen's website. She's a member (padacheek) and she can do magic!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm

I went in to the DME RT yesterday and was issued a DeVilbis FF Silicon - last night had very few eye leaks but was able to eliminate them. Eyes felt better today. But, several strong mouth leaks occurred, but once again I eliminated them easily and went back to sleep. Also started to use a new cpap pillow to help with being a side-sleeper. My AHI was down to .02 last night which is a major first for me. May that become an everyday event for me.

Unfortunately, I had to finally give up on the Mirage Quattro which others have said is the 'Holy Grail of full face masks'. I tried everything humanly possible to get it to work. I did have some fairly decent nights with it but when the AHI's were becoming steadily in the 4.0+ range, the air constantly leaking into my eyes, something needed to change. When I asked the DME RT if all she carries was REsMed masks, she rushed out of the room and returned with two different brands. I'm giving the DeVilbis a 30 day trial (which I learned from this forum is something that I have a right to ask for ) and last nights sleep was pretty good overall. I also asked for and received a copy of my RX which I learned here is something I have a right to ask for.

I've been working on improving my sleep hygiene and go to bed same time, every night. I wasn't able to answer a question from SleepStar about the sleep hygiene personally. I wanted to acknowledge your comment. I'm working on getting # of hrs past 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 per night to the 6 hr range.