Philips Respironics One NOISY!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CraigFK

Re: Philips Respironics One NOISY!

Post by CraigFK » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:44 pm

My brand new PrOne w/CFLEX makes a high pitched tone that is impossible for either my wife or me to sleep through. I have tried isolating the noise (at first thought it was the mask) and can reproduce it with any mask and even without the mask just by holding the tube in my mouth and letting a little air escape. The tone disappears when I inhale and reappears as soon as the machine stabilizes back at pressure (13) The noise is conducted noise through the tube originating in the machine itself. Removing the filters makes no difference, BTW. Anyone else with this problem? Any solutions?

Evacal

Post by Evacal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:47 am

I and hubby bought new Respironics PR system one in December 2010. We were very happy with them ... very silent and soft.

Suddenly, tonight I am not able to sleep, as I hear a kind of a whistling noise...rustling fan coming out of my machine. I went to my hubby's side, no noise at all and hubby was enjoying his sleep calmly.

I am calling the manufacturer right away. Something is wrong with these machines. I wish they did not make the improvement they did...making them smaller and cuter. We definitely liked the RemStar M Auto...they were perfect though a bit bulky. I loved them and I was healthier by using them. Also, I need to keep changing the pressure on mine!! go figure out what is going on!

SleepyCPAP

Post by SleepyCPAP » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:02 am

I remember a noise that went away when I checked the gasket between the humidifier and the machine. I think it seals better when it is slid more onto the machine tube (open lid and look at the back area with the tank out, and slide the piece more to the left, if that makes sense). Also, I've had a whistle when replacing filters, sometimes reinstalling helps or it goes away on its own.

Sorry you are having trouble.

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI

Gaga58

Post by Gaga58 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:22 am

Linda...the cflex helps with the exhalations...makes it much easier to breathe out than feeling like you're breathing against a brick wall. With that said, my machine has a little bit of "whoosh" sort of like a ventilator and since the old one didn't have that I just associated it with the cflex part on the new one. Having hearing loss though, the sound doesn't bother me, but I also have low pressure. I look at the whooshing as my "lullaby to sleep"!!

craftyncrazy

Post by craftyncrazy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:39 am

I don't hear a thing from my machine.

roadkingrick

Post by roadkingrick » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 pm

man am I glad I saw this post, my vpap auto is in the shop so I got a system one and it telegraphs noise thru the nos pillows, up the tube and since I use ear plugs (night worker) it makes it louder. Im gonna try removing the filtr, lowering the unit, setting it on a memory foam pillow, its driving me crazy, any other suggestions? I have Biflex but dont know how to turn bi flex off, im on Bi pap, 18.5 >13.5 its soooo much louder then my vpapauto 25, but only thru the hose, help people, someone has got to have figured this out, I was thinking a baffle of some sort in the hose itself.

roadkingrick

Post by roadkingrick » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 pm

ok, so lets summarize, pr system one is noisy and its the noise comin thru he hose thats the culprit. Amplified when using ear plugs. At least thats my experiance. so, hose covers help, running another length of hose helps, running that hose thru a fluffy pilow seems to absorb some of the sound ( think xhaust pipe and muffler/ resinator, and if you have an extra humidifier run it thru that also. well I happen to have the extra humidifier and will try it also, let ya know. At this point wonder what resmed did to avoid this issue, I have two res mes vpap auto 25 (in the shop) and my old resmed vpap III and they do not make that sound. Cant wait to get the 25 back.

roadkingrick

Re: Philips Respironics One NOISY! solved,kinda

Post by roadkingrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 am

okay so I added an old remstar oer flow humidifier to the mix, so I have one tube from humidifier on the system one routed to the additional humidifier and from the second humidifier another tube to my nose mask, walla! the extra humidifier acts as a expansion chamber/ resinator/ muffler and I can actually hear my own inhalations without the motor sound. It will make it bearable but now I need to figure out how to tweek the settings to accomadate the extra length of tubing and the extra humidifier, any suggestions?

Carmen

Post by Carmen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Mine's always that that inhale/exhale sound. My husband jokingly calls it Darth Vader.

tuffshed

Re: Philips Respironics One NOISY! - Here is the problem

Post by tuffshed » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:40 pm

I am a new user and have the system one series 60 and here is my experience.
First off I apologize up front for my bad attitude, I haven't gotten a good night sleep since I've been on CPAP for the last 3 weeks and I'M CRANKY.

The problem with the noise is the intake manifold on the machine. The constant weeezz...weeezz has kept me and my wife up so much so that I have been banished to the downstairs bedroom. Now first off I don't want to hear how bad the old machines were and how much better these new ones are, I DON'T CARE. Also I don't want to hear about how your machine doesn't make the noise, IT DOES (or could) so again I DON'T CARE. Again I apologize, I haven't slept in weeks.

I took my brand new machine in to a med tech at my doctors office and we ran a test. We setup the mask/hose so that it was properly fit with no leaks or noise then put the machine on Ramp. At about 6cm the machine started making intake noises and the volume increased with the increase in pressure. At 12, which is where mine starts off the machine made noise loud enough it could be heard above the noise in the office. I took the machine to the distributor and we tried a replacement, same noise, then tried a different model, worse noise, then tried a different brand with no Cflex, way worse noise. Finally the branch manager came in and witnessed it and confirmed it. The bottom line, which the manager confirmed to me privately is that these machines are noise rated at lower pressures (she guessed 5cm) At pressures of 12 they were very loud indeed.

I am now looking at what can be done, a noise baffle, whatever. What I cannot understand is why there is a small 1 inch or so diameter hole as an intake. Anyone knowing anything about pressure and speed within a tube should have designed these machines with a large diameter intake hole (3-4 inches or more) . I suppose they wanted to get both a travel machine and home machine in the same box and therefore failed at both.

So if you run pressures of 6 or less you are lucky, if you have damaged hearing you are lucky, but for those of us with higher pressures and good hearing we've got problems. I'll keep on searching to see if there is a manufacturer based solution (such as the Whisper Cap for a Series 60) but hopefully someone will come up with a serious, acoustically tested solution.

aurun79

Post by aurun79 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:08 am

Same exact problem. Does anybody test stuff any more? WHAT THE He'll!

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed May 01, 2013 7:35 am

I have quieted every machine I have had by running the hose through a passover humidifier - it works! Failing that, try lots of hose length and wind it into a small circle - something about the air bouncing around quiets it.

hugginalan

Post by hugginalan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:45 am

Wow! Users having to coil hoses, run hoses through secondary machines, etc! What a bunch of "hooey"! I wonder if Philips customer service/care has ever read this blog. Between my insurance company and I, we put out several hundred dollars on this unit. So, why as consumers she we have to alter or fix these things. They are a medical devices aren't they? I calling their customer service today. If I don't get any satisfaction, I'm moving it up the corporate "food chain".

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:05 am

I enjoy it. It helps remind me I haven't died.

All kidding aside, I can barely hear my PR560, and when I can it only makes a faint up and down whirring noise. I actually expected the thing to be much louder like a white noise machine. I was shocked at how actually quiet it has been. Perhaps you have a dud?

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:09 am

hugginalan wrote:Wow! Users having to coil hoses, run hoses through secondary machines, etc! What a bunch of "hooey"! I wonder if Philips customer service/care has ever read this blog. Between my insurance company and I, we put out several hundred dollars on this unit. So, why as consumers she we have to alter or fix these things. They are a medical devices aren't they? I calling their customer service today. If I don't get any satisfaction, I'm moving it up the corporate "food chain".
Prepare for phone tree hell. Demand to talk with an engineer if you can get through to someone. Whatever you do, don't choose the choice that you are a patient. Say you are an MD or DME or something when prompted. PR has a horrifying, intentionally bad phone system. They want CPAP patients not to bother them....

There may simply be something wrong with your machine and hopefully they will check it under warranty for you.

If you cant get through, the vendor you bought the CPAP from should look at it under warranty.