Finding a mask that fits

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Iowamv

Finding a mask that fits

Post by Iowamv » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:21 am

Had a Swift FX, but I'm a side sleeper and it finally created a sore spot that was intolerable. It got to the point that it hurt all day long and was extremely painful when I'd touch it.

So Tuesday I got a F&P Eson. I generally like it, but to get leaks to stop I have had to tighten it incrementally to the point that I wake up with soreness and a red mark on the bridge of my nose. My DME only allows 10 days to return a mask (I know, this will probably be the straw that broke the camel's back). I've not had to go through the process of evaluating masks before... soreness on the bridge of the nose is something that won't generally get better? If so, what should I try next? I think pillow masks are still out of the question. Even after a week, my soreness from the Swift FX hasn't completely gone away.

Will all nasal masks likely create some soreness on the bridge of my nose, sort of like expecting the lines most of us end up with on our faces in the morning? Or do a lot of nasal mask users find that some masks do create soreness and some don't, so I should keep "shopping" until I find the one that doesn't?

I found the FreeCPAPadvice guy's videos on YouTube and he really likes the Wisp, though there seems to be more love here for the Nano? I generally like videos about masks so I can picture the ones that people discuss here.
Last edited by Iowamv on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

49er

Re: Finding a mask that fits

Post by 49er » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:38 am

Iowamv wrote:Had a Swift FX, but I'm a side sleeper and it finally created a sore spot that was intolerable. It got to the point that it hurt all day long and was extremely painful when I'd touch it.

So Tuesday I got a F&P Eson. I generally like it, but to get leaks to stop I have had to tighten it incrementally to the point that I wake up with soreness and a red mark on the bridge of my nose. My DME only allows 10 days to return a mask (I know, this will probably be the straw that broke the camel's back). I've not had to go through the process of evaluating masks before... soreness on the bridge of the nose is something that won't generally get better? If so, what should I try next? I think pillow masks are still out of the question. Even after a week, my soreness hasn't completely gone away.

Will all nasal masks likely create some soreness on the bridge of my nose, sort of like expecting the lines most of us end up with on our faces in the morning? Or do a lot of nasal mask users find that some masks do create soreness and some don't, so I should keep "shopping" until I find the one that doesn't?

I found the FreeCPAPadvice guy's videos on YouTube and he really likes the Wisp, though there seems to be more love here for the Nano? I generally like videos about masks so I can picture the ones that people discuss here.
Hi lowamv,

You might want to check out http://www.padacheek.com/ as Karen, the site owner, makes mask liners and nose pads that might help your situation. The only issue I can think of is depending on your location (she is in Virginia), you might not have enough time to adequately evaluate whether the mask would work with a liner.

Anyway your DME would be willing to give you more time? They really are supposed to allow 30 days but sadly, many them do not.

I have never worn nasal masks so I can't address the rest of your concerns. But I am sure someone will respond who can.

49er

Foggy1

Post by Foggy1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:27 am

I have found that some of the nasal masks put more pressure on the bridge of my nose than others. It must be a difference in how they fit each individual. I switched from a Quattro to the F&P Zest, and am very happy. It fits loosely and holds a seal. I do use a RemZzz liner with the mask (similar to the Pad-a-cheek liners).

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:25 am

You might look at the SleepWeaver Élan nasal mask. It is a cloth mask that inflates with the PAP pressure and has nothing to dig into your skin when you sleep on your side. You will either love it or hate it. But that seems to be true of all masks.

Another one to look at at is the Tap Pap.

Think of the stereotype of a women shopping for shoes. I think finding the right mask can fit that stereotype.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 pm

I have a few favorite masks that I can change so I don't have to get miserable with any mask problems.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:32 pm

My face has had "mask burnout" a few times--that's when it's time to swap.

Iowamv

Post by Iowamv » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks for the help folks. Interesting that you'd suggest looking at the Elan, as I was just looking at this video review of the Anew: http://youtu.be/xWPtpuCrFow

People seem to absolutely love or hate those cloth masks. In theory they seem like the perfect solution, especially for side sleeping. I say "in theory" because it seems some people cannot channel enough hate for them into their reviews. But in that video, the reviewer sure seems to make it work when he lays against his pillow. My biggest issue is that it sounds like I'd have to pay full price for replacements, since it sounds like insurance won't replace them as often as they wear out. At least the Elan has replacement pillows (can't remember if that's what they call the part that fills with air).

Maybe I'll have to look at the Nano next.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:51 pm

I have been using the Nuance Pro nasal mask for a few weeks and there is nothing on the bridge of your nose. It's a great mask! Take a look and see if you'd like it.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

Iowamv

Post by Iowamv » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Isn't the Nuance Pro a nasal pillow mask? If I end up being able to go back to pillows, I'll be happy to return to the Swift FX. But for now, no pillows for me.

You know, I'm going to take one more swing at the Eson tonight (since my DME isn't open on Sunday anyway, so I don't really have a choice). I can get it to sit in place riding on a cushion of air in a way that doesn't hurt my nose. I suspect the challenge will be to avoid tightening the straps in the middle of the night if/when it leaks. The videos I've see suggest sort of wiggling it a bit to get it reseated. I'm thinking this might be yet another case of operator error, overtightening it. The way it is designed, it shouldn't be pushing so hard it causes my nose to be sore.

Damn, this cpap gig takes a lot of work (and patience), doesn't it?

By the way, the guy on the video says "Eson is the word 'nose' spelled backward." I had a DOH! moment when he said that. Am I the only one who didn't figure that out?

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:45 pm

OK. I'll toss the Hybrid into the mix. No sore nose, and no duct tape!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Iowamv

Post by Iowamv » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:02 pm

LinkC,

Doesn't the nasal part go into your nostrils like a nasal pillow? Looks interesting...

ems

Post by ems » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Don't have time to read the entire thread... but, I can't say enough good things about the Nano. No marks on face of any kind, no leaks (I sleep on my side only), and very comfortable. Google it and see what you think. Also, do a search here for Nano mask... many posts will come up.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Iowamv wrote:Doesn't the nasal part go into your nostrils like a nasal pillow? Looks interesting...
They rest against your nostrils, yes. But unless you cinch them up too tight, there's no discomfort at all.

Doesn't even touch the bridge, tho, which is what the OP complained about.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...