Dry Mouth since switching to ResMed S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GBoogie

Dry Mouth since switching to ResMed S9

Post by GBoogie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:51 am

I've been on CPAP since 2001. I've used a Devilbiss AutoAdjust LT. My previous machine was a Respironics REMstar Auto M-Series.

My new machine, as of last week, is a ResMed S9 AutoSet, with SlimLine tubing. My mask, which is the same mask I used before the change to the new machine, is a ResMed Mirage Active LT. (Nasal)

I've never needed or used a humidifier. I've never had a problem with mouth breathing or dry mouth in 11 years. Until I switched over to the S9. Changed lower pressure from 12 to 13, but that's it.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Daisy004

Re: Dry Mouth since switching to ResMed S9

Post by Daisy004 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:56 am

yes. Im only on day 30 so far and I use nasal pillows..my mouth does not open through the night but boy is it dry in the mornings!! I have the resmed s9 also, Im on this thread with you too hoping someone can help or suggest something.
D.
"I'm not sleeping, I'm just checking my eyelids for pinholes!" - My Dad

GBoogie

Post by GBoogie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 am

Daisy004 wrote:yes. Im only on day 30 so far and I use nasal pillows..my mouth does not open through the night but boy is it dry in the mornings!! I have the resmed s9 also, Im on this thread with you too hoping someone can help or suggest something.
D.
Have you used another CPAP machine before the S9? Or are you new to CPAP therapy?

Daisy004

Post by Daisy004 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 am

sorry Im new to cpap, still going through the rough period.
"I'm not sleeping, I'm just checking my eyelids for pinholes!" - My Dad

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 am

I have used heated humidification since day one.
It's quite normal to experience mouth dryness,
especially when the mouth opens--sometimes when it stays shut.
Moving air carries away moisture.
A clothes dryer works best when you turn it on.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:46 am

A climate control hose helps, it allows you to adjust the temperature. A chin strap that fits properly, controls the opening of your mouth will help. Biotene mouth wash saves your teeth if you have dry mouth. I use the quattro Fx mask and wear a chin strap which greatly reduced my dry mouth.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Yes, with an S8. You've GOT to use some type of humidifer. I use a passive system. Simply an unheated vessel that the air flows through. If I let it run dry or don't take it with me on extended travel - dry mouth.

GBoogie

Post by GBoogie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Guest wrote:Yes, with an S8. You've GOT to use some type of humidifer. I use a passive system. Simply an unheated vessel that the air flows through. If I let it run dry or don't take it with me on extended travel - dry mouth.
Did you use a different machine, without a humidifier, with everything working perfectly, and then start to have problems when you switched over to the S8?

Almost makes me want to go back to using my 'old' machine.

locust78

Post by locust78 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:13 am

I agree with the humidifier gang. It worked for me. That, and the occasional squirt of Oasis dry mouth spray before going to bed.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Daisy004 wrote:yes. Im only on day 30 so far and I use nasal pillows..my mouth does not open through the night but boy is it dry in the mornings!! I have the resmed s9 also, Im on this thread with you too hoping someone can help or suggest something.
D.
You're probably mouth leaking, at least a little. Even if it's not enough to affect your therapy, you can sort of bubble a little air out your mouth that will dry you out.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:20 pm

GBoogie wrote:I've been on CPAP since 2001. I've used a Devilbiss AutoAdjust LT. My previous machine was a Respironics REMstar Auto M-Series.

My new machine, as of last week, is a ResMed S9 AutoSet, with SlimLine tubing. My mask, which is the same mask I used before the change to the new machine, is a ResMed Mirage Active LT. (Nasal)

I've never needed or used a humidifier. I've never had a problem with mouth breathing or dry mouth in 11 years. Until I switched over to the S9. Changed lower pressure from 12 to 13, but that's it.

Anybody have a similar experience?
Hi GBoogie!

Why the change in pressure?

I think that your new machine feeds pressure to you somehow differant than your previous machine and so your breathing reflexes do not know what to do with it yet. As a result your breathing becomes unstable and the greater air hunger causes your mouth to dry out (greater air use) and to open your mouth in an attempt to get even more air that you do not need.

Some careful time breathing quietly with the machine laying on your bed during the day may help. I find that breathing in for two counts, breathing out for two counts, and pausing for two counts while going for quiet gentle breathing works well. You know you are breathing gently enough when your feet get warm and your heart rate drops.

Then some time with the machine during the day watching reading a book or listening to music - something to distract. You are building and then setting new breathing reflexes to help with your new machine.

High pressure is a ringer to cause unstable breathing. You might try a lower pressure. You might do very well to try a lower pressure - and - raise the head of your bed a couple of inches (I use concrete bricks from a building suppy store - <$5).

I also find that aerobic exercise with some interval training is very good for the breathing reflexes.

Have a great week!

Todzo
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

TonyC213

Post by TonyC213 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi, Sorry to open this thread up again, but no one answered the question, I also used a RemStar Auto M-Series with Humidifier set to exactly the same settings as my new Resmed S9 Autoset with Climate Line hose and am experiencing the same problems, I am have to keep a water bottle next to the bed to re hydrate my mouth when I wake.

The differences that I noticed is that there is not as much condensation in the hose and mask with the Resmed unit but I am not sure if that has anything to do with the Climate line tubing or the Hi5 Humidifier. I have also noted that the water in the tub is not heating up as much as the Remstar unit. It actually feels like the water is always cold. I have check my machine to ensure that the heating plate is working and all check out. I have set the temperature setting to 28 Deg C and have increased it to the maximum of 30 with no change.

Has anyone solved this problem?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 04, 2013 9:40 pm

On the S9 series, you can touch the outside end of the humidifier just above the bottom edge to feel if it is warm.
Unless I open it up, that's the only place that actually feels warm.
If you are using the Climateline hose, there are two ways to run the humidity--Auto or manual.
Auto keeps the humidity at 80% (I think), while only the air temperature in the tubing changes.
On manual setting, the temperature and humidity are independent--so you can mess it up.
Don't ask me how I know, I'm very talented.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 04, 2013 10:48 pm

TonyC213 wrote: I also used a RemStar Auto M-Series with Humidifier set to exactly the same settings as my new Resmed S9 Autoset with Climate Line hose and am experiencing the same problems,
The Auto M Series used a lot more heat and a lot more water than the new S9 with Climate Line hose.
Mainly it was more heat equaled more added moisture with no regulation.
My first machine was also the M Series Auto. I used a tank full of water every night.
I have a S9 ClimateLine and it doesn't use nearly as much water. It tries to maintain a constant humidity with as little heat as possible. So it is very likely that you are probably checking the water in the tank when it is cycling off.
You will need to increase the humidity setting to have a chance to have as much humidity being dispensed as you did with the M series.
Do you actually have the ClimateLine hose?
When set to automatic the only humidity setting you have is temperature and it tries to deliver 80% humidity constantly no matter what the temp.

If you are seeing setting choices of 1 through 6....that is humidity level.
If you see humidity level AND temperature control (goes up to 86) then you have the ClimateLine setting set to Patient which allows you to set temperature and humidity level independently.

If the only setting you have available is 1 through 6 then you likely don't have the Climateline heated hose. It has an orange end at the humidifier connection level.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.