How often do you have a sleep study?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
emeraude

Post by emeraude » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 am

Hi again all,

I had my initial sleep study 5 years ago and was diagnosed with severe OSA and CSA. I was wondering how often one has a follow up study done? I have scheduled my next study in June to check how I have progressed over the last 5 years.

Cheers,
Emeraude

shb

Re: How often do you have a sleep study?

Post by shb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:43 am

Same - for me two sleep studies in October/Nov of 2005 - none since. One was for titration (i.e. to get the pressure reading) - not really needed with an auto... Diagnosis was "severe OSA".

Now (with nightly use of an S9 auto) - my apneas are basically at zero.. my AHI is usually under 2... so the breathing part is sorted - but I am still trying to get good sleep. Just need to focus on other things. I have an oximter and a zeo - so I'm not really sure what another sleep study would show that would help...

Personally not actually planning to have another one.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:26 am

I have a small study every night.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

emeraude

Post by emeraude » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 am

shb wrote:Same - for me two sleep studies in October/Nov of 2005 - none since. One was for titration (i.e. to get the pressure reading) - not really needed with an auto... Diagnosis was "severe OSA".

Now (with nightly use of an S9 auto) - my apneas are basically at zero.. my AHI is usually under 2... so the breathing part is sorted - but I am still trying to get good sleep. Just need to focus on other things. I have an oximter and a zeo - so I'm not really sure what another sleep study would show that would help...

Personally not actually planning to have another one.
Congratulations! It looks like you are doing well with your therapy.
I'm returning to home to Oz in the next few months and would like to find out if I have made improvement in the numbers. Also, I have national insurance here which covers 70% of the cost but I'm unsure if Medicare covers a Polysomnography back home.

Cheers,
Emeraude

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:12 am

emeraude ......You have an 'auto' machine...can't you look at your daily data and tell whether you are doing well or not? How are you feeling?

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:27 am

Had one sleep study and neuro didn't mention when I might need another one - in fact she doesn't want to see me again as long as I'm happy with my therapy and the DME, my AHI remains below 5.0 (it's been below 1.0 since Day 1) and nothing new crops up.

I don't have a problem with this at all and don't feel my neuro is shoving me aside. Thanks to the fabulous people here - she's confident I'm taking care of my OSA and know what I'm doing and is OK with me messing with my pressure settings within reason and encourages experimentation.

All of my doctors are in one clinic, and I see them on a six-monthly basis - don't need to add the neuro into the mix unless necessary.

Cheers,
xena

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:52 am

I had my original sleep study done in 2007.

Decided to have another one done recently. I probably won't bother doing it again. I can get better results at home running machine in Autoset mode.
Tom...........

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 am

For one thing anytime your experience or data is demonostrating a potential problem that cant be fixed with a quick alteration.

Possibly also after a few years interval (if you can affford it) or if a significant factor has changed (age, weight, stress, OCD, medicinal use,
other illness occurs)

motherall

Post by motherall » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:32 am

emeraude wrote:Hi again all,

I had my initial sleep study 5 years ago and was diagnosed with severe OSA and CSA. I was wondering how often one has a follow up study done? I have scheduled my next study in June to check how I have progressed over the last 5 years.

Cheers,
Emeraude
I had my initial study in 2005 when I was diagnosed with severe OSA, a follow up in 2010 with pressure change, then one several months ago when I changed pulmonary doctors. Since I am also being treated for asthma and COPD for the chronic asthma, I may get them more often than most, or maybe it's just my doctors. Each study has led to a change in pressure once up 2, last one down 4. I do very well, AHI seldom over 1, good solid sleep nearly every night except when my old machine was breaking down and the humidifier wasn't working right. All is well with the new machine and I love the Bella mask.

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:03 am

Cheers,
Emeraude
You should download the software from the ResMed site and check the details of your breathing each night. It might be that this gives you confidence that you do not need another sleep study.

I use the software and don't see the need to ever have another sleep study.

Do you have any problems besides sleep apnea that you would expect to show up in a sleep lab study?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:40 am

Not too likely to repeat unless symptoms re-appear-which I can't handle with data,
or Medicare requires it for continued coverage of equipment.
(then I'll let them pay for it)

shb

Post by shb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Emeraude,

If home is oz as you implied.. Both my polysomnographs were "bulk billed" , ie 100% covered by govt provided (free) Medicare. As I also have private health insurance - (MBF) they cover $500 towards purchase of machine - nothing towards other components..

S

emeraude

Post by emeraude » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:52 pm

shb wrote:Emeraude,

If home is oz as you implied.. Both my polysomnographs were "bulk billed" , ie 100% covered by govt provided (free) Medicare. As I also have private health insurance - (MBF) they cover $500 towards purchase of machine - nothing towards other components..

S
shb,

I've been out of the system for nearly 2 decades but it's a relief to hear that Medicare covers 100% of the polysomnograph. No private health insurance at this time and I presume there is going to be a waiting period of a year(?), but will look into it when I'm back on the Coast.

Cheers,
Emeraude

emeraude

Post by emeraude » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:58 pm

LSAT wrote:emeraude ......You have an 'auto' machine...can't you look at your daily data and tell whether you are doing well or not? How are you feeling?
LSAT,

I'm feeling okay most of the time but on some days I feel a little tired and unrested, but that could be work, stress or age. No, I don't have a card reader so am unable to check anything. As part of the insurance coverage here in Japan, I have to visit the clinic every month and the doctor looks at the data, but usually tells me all is fine, even though I tell him otherwise.

Cheers,
Emeraude

emeraude

Post by emeraude » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Therapist wrote:

Cheers,
Emeraude
You should download the software from the ResMed site and check the details of your breathing each night. It might be that this gives you confidence that you do not need another sleep study.

I use the software and don't see the need to ever have another sleep study.

Do you have any problems besides sleep apnea that you would expect to show up in a sleep lab study?
Hi Therapist,

Yes, I downloaded it last week as I have just received my new machine last week. I'll try the S9 again on the weekend and check the data.

Currently. I'm using a rental machine and must visit the clinic once a month as part of the insurance coverage. Will continue to use the rental until I leave Japan. Yes, stress from packing ...., actually am about 10 kilos overweight, that's about it as far as I know.

Thanks for your input.
Emeraude