Are these cheap ResMed S9/A10 filters from ebay OK?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yrnkrn

Are these cheap ResMed S9/A10 filters from ebay OK?

Post by yrnkrn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 am

On ebay the common type of ResMed S9/A10 filters sold look like this:

compared with original filter or the one our host offers, they seem to be missing the outer jacket:

What do you think about these filters?

chunkyfrog

Re: Are these cheap ResMed S9/A10 filters from ebay OK?

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:09 am

The background is not the same color, so density is only a guess.
Edges look different, but any filter probably beats none at all.
You get what you pay for. Consider how much you think you are worth.
My filters (unlabeled from DME) appear to be heat fused on both sides, but remaining porous.

yrnkrn

Post by yrnkrn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:20 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:The background is not the same color, so density is only a guess.
Here are two more pictures ebay sellers use, showing the filter density

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 pm

There is no ”outer jacket" on official resmed filters, they're just rectangles of mesh.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 pm

They look like the regular Resmed filters. I only use the hypoallergenic filters.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:47 pm

palerider wrote:There is no ”outer jacket" on official resmed filters, they're just rectangles of mesh.
I can confirm. I might even have a "real" ResMed mesh filter to compare to generic mesh filter.
I don't like the mesh filters...either the name brand or the generic. I prefer hypo allerginic which doesn't look like this.
The machines are coming with the mesh filters install...not the fine/hypo allerginic filters.

I will look later to see if I have a name brand ResMed mesh filter. Don't have time at the moment.

The cheap mesh ones on EBay...probably will work as good as the mesh ones from ResMed...they are NOT fine particle filters though...nothing like the hypoallerginic/fine filters we are used to.
I can't find a ResMed name brand hypo allerginic filter...I looked and I can't find them anywhere. Used to be one seller on EBay that had them but I can't find them now.

There is a difference between the mesh filters and the fine/hypo allerginic filters. Easy to see and feel.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:16 pm

They look like the filter I just took out of my wife's machine today. That was the filter that came installed in the machine when she got it. When the machine was brought it to the house, he unsealed the Resmed shipping box and took the machine out and set it up per the doctor's directions.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Pugsy wrote:I don't like the mesh filters...either the name brand or the generic. I prefer hypo allerginic which doesn't look like this.
Where do you get the hypo allerginic filters? Is there a way to get the material so I can cut my own? I'd like to find an inexpensive source for this since I would prefer to not pay many dollars each given how many of them I use each year.

Thanks,

-john-

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:43 pm

jweeks wrote:Where do you get the hypo allerginic filters? Is there a way to get the material so I can cut my own? I'd like to find an inexpensive source for this since I would prefer to not pay many dollars each given how many of them I use each year.
The filter on the left is a fine white hypo allerginic filter.
The 2 on the right are the mesh filters. One from ResMed and one from AG which is a generic brand. I don't remember which was what on the mesh filters...didn't really matter. For all practical purposes they were same.

There is a white fine filter and a white fine filter that is hypo allergenic. I have owned both...to be honest I couldn't tell any difference between the fine filters.
If you ever see and hold a fine filter and a mesh filter you will definitely see and feel the difference between fine and mesh.

The fine filters along with the fine hypoallerginic are getting harder to find.

You might find a mesh that would duplicate the cheaper looking (and feeling) mesh filter and cut your own and save some money. I haven't looked. I don't like the mesh filter...I live out in the country and in an old dusty farmhouse with cats and dogs. The one thing about my cpap that I like to keep half way clean is my filters. Nothing else might get washed but I will change my filters.

The mesh filters would hold up to some washings...so you could get additional life out of them. The fine filter will hold up to a washing in an emergency but I don't know how many it could handle.

I shop either EBay or Amazon and buy in bulk. There used to be a guy on EBay that was the only one who advertised OEM name brand filters...and I bought them and they were the real deal but I have also bought the after market ones and they worked well. Like I might buy 25 filters for $12 and that included shipping. I once found 48 Respironics aftermarket filters on Amazon for $14...and since I am a Prime member..free shipping. Those went to Australia and saved the guy a ton of money. They were good filters. Nothing wrong with them. These were the optional white fine filters for Respironics PRS 1 machines.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:19 pm

jweeks wrote:
Pugsy wrote:I don't like the mesh filters...either the name brand or the generic. I prefer hypo allerginic which doesn't look like this.
Where do you get the hypo allerginic filters? Is there a way to get the material so I can cut my own? I'd like to find an inexpensive source for this since I would prefer to not pay many dollars each given how many of them I use each year.

Thanks,

-john-
I get mine off ebay. less than a buck each.

How many DO you use? the service manual says "every six months, or as needed".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.