CPAP machine is making me sick and causing me lung problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
theoregonlife

CPAP machine is making me sick and causing me lung problems

Post by theoregonlife » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:40 am

I have had this machine (resmed s9 auto) for less then 23 days in that time frame i have had 2 upper respiratory infections near constant congestion and chest pain that is always worse after a long nights use of the machine. I have tried flonase to deal with the congestion as well as a neti pot nothing is helping, and it has done nothing to rid my persistent tightness and and pain. Before this machine i have NEVER had brocitus or any lung issues, I am currently at my wits end with this machine and am ready to take my chances without it. Have any of you been in or seen anything similar to this? Also does anyone have any advice as i am getting a bit desperate. Thanks

nanwilson

Re: CPAP machine is making me sick and causing me lung problems

Post by nanwilson » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:49 am

Bronchitis is caused by an infection in your lungs....you need to go and see a doctor..its NOT the cpap machine causing it.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:58 am

Using a humidifier? If so at what setting? Too much added moisture or too little added moisture can give a person symptoms of an upper respiratory infection...congestion..sneezing..misery...runny nose, etc.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm

It is frustrating when the thing that you count on helping you in one realm causes issues of its own in another. You are probably going to have to do a process of elimination to sort through your problems.

My first thought is humidification - either too much or too little can cause swelling and congestion. If my air is too warm, my sinuses feel awful. Some swear by the warmer the better. You'll have to figure out what's best for you. Also, when I was trying to use a nasal mask I found it was either a bad fitting mask or else a bad fitting style for my sensitivities. The pressure on the sides of my nose/cheeks caused the sinuses to be closed and the sensation was intolerable. No medication could have opened them because external pressure was the issue.

Early on I had pains in my back, chest & upper abdomen, I think due to trapped air. I still get a bit of air that makes its way in my belly (have a hiatal hernia and GERD). I would never advise anyone to ignore chest pain. Just saying it's commonly reported on here. If you are pretty sure it is treatment related as mine was, you could experiment with positions. I find I get more trapped air if I start my night on my left side. Not sure why. You mention bronchitis and tightness - do you have a cough or wheezing or seen a doctor or are you just thinking that your combination of symptoms sounds like bronchitis? You may need medical attention if it is bronchitis.

You might find it helpful to keep a little journal as maybe a pattern will emerge that will help you optimize your treatment and minimize you side effects. I'm sure others will come along with thoughts on what you can try too. Treating OSA is in the long run worth sorting through the aggravations. Best wishes finding some solutions.

P.S. I see while I was typing others have posted. In case of duplication, just consider me a co-signer.

theoregonlife

Post by theoregonlife » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:15 pm

let me spell this out, cpap causes constant drainage in sinus which goes into the lungs which in turn causes infection and possibly pneumonia source my dr.. so yes it is causing me problems and is causing me quite a lot of discomfort and problems and for some reason my lungs are not tolerating it (not everyone can use a cpap, it may be the gold standard of care but keep in mind its not for everyone!).. Dunno what do next, and as for my upper res infection i am already on antibiotics..

sewsleepy

Post by sewsleepy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm no medical professional and I don't know anything about your situation, so all I can do is speak for myself but if it was me, after I was completely recovered from the bronchitis/sinus infection, I would give the machine another try and see if it caused irritation and the similar feeling again right away. If not, it could be a coincidence that the infection developed the same time as getting the new machine. Here in the pacific northwest there are some terrible respiratory bugs going around right now, including an epidemic of whooping cough. Just because you have not had one before is no guarantee you will never get one. Just my own 2cents!
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP with Heated Tube Humidifier, Airfit P10 mask

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Not a doctor, so I will defer to your doctor on these things. Early on I had lung issues which ended up getting originally diagnosed as pneumonia. Multiple rounds of antibiotics later and further investigation discovered I actually have Interstitial Lung Disease. The process had started long before CPAP, just wasn't bad enough to be discovered till after. Not that this is your issue, just saying I'm glad to hear you are working with your doctor in sorting through your respiratory problems.

If your lungs are having some sort of cascading effect from your sinuses, maybe looking at humidification could halt the source and begin your healing from this bout of trouble. If that it the reason for your congestion, hopefully you can sort through it while using CPAP. If something infectious is going on, maybe a (SHORT) break till there's a degree of recovery is in order. Sounds like you and your doctor are on top of this. Best wishes.

theoregonlife

Post by theoregonlife » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:36 pm

kteague i am sorry to hear about your illness, i am plagued with near constant drainage and that is inflaming my broc tubes and causing me to cough and feel crappy. As for the cpap i am to the point of saying good bye and switching to a oral appliance instead and will be discussing this with my dr upon the next call. As for ILD i watched my step dad die of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis not a fun way to go, i will pray for u. I should also mention that i have a heated hose and a humidifier.

Sloop

Post by Sloop » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:25 pm

So back down on the humidifier!! Not everyone needs humidified air, especially in the summer months.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:47 pm

For what it's worth, I got on CPAP specifically because I had acute bronchitis 6 times in 9 months. Each time, a course of Z-pack nipped it in 24 hours and I began to heal. Then it would come back. Doc sent me for chest x-rays twice, and a CT scan. Both showed my lungs were clear, though I had developed chronic asthma. I received a referral to a pulmonologist. The new doc's third question was, "So have you ever had a sleep study?" Long story short, I got my machine 2 years ago and the results were dramatic. My symptoms immediately cleared up and I haven't been sick, not a cold, not the flu, not eventhe sniffles nor an allergy, nor a single episode of asthma in 2 years, despite having school age kids, and flying around on planes.

The foregoing isn't intended to say that our conditions are anything alike. However nobody here has ever made anything near a convincing case that CPAP actually caused or worsened their condition. And the few who tried, clearly had other issues, not related to their physical condition. There's something else going on that your doctor needs to investigate. Don't let your doc do what mine did to me. Press the point. There is an answer. Find it. Or get another doctor.

And I wonder whether your humidifier reservoir might have something growing in it. Or maybe the carpet or drapes. Mold can grow in carpeting and drapes. And Legionella and Pseudomonas can live in a humidifier tank.

theoregonlife

Post by theoregonlife » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:35 pm

just so everyone knows my oxy stats are normal 98 my lungs have no bad sounds such, i have recently had a lower back xrays and a abdominal ultra sound they got very near my lungs and nothing was said. also the congestion happens the minute i put on the mask. The first time i had bronc i could barely make it the car took zpac and was normal in 3 days, was doing ok intil i started wearing the cpap for longer periods of time, the longer i wear the more congested and crappy i feel. I am currently coughing up clear flem, i am on another zpac and have been using my pro air inhailer as ness however it at times makes things worse, so its definitly not shortness of breath as again my stats are always normal and i can walk run etc with out dying. My hummidity is at 4.0 if i lower it i find it causes my nose great discomfort and i end up waking in the morning to find the machine on and the mask on the floor. I also live in a very dry climate (high desert) so i am not thinking turning down humidity would help and neither does my sleep dr who happens to be a pulmonoligist. I am on flonase 4 sprays a day, which makes me wonder if its not what is causing this whole problem what do you all think? also i hope by me being a bit more spec it helps.

thanks for all the help =)

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:16 pm

I think..........you're determined to fail with your therapy.
You haven't filled out your user profile so people will know what equipment you're using or what your other settings are.

What mask? (be sure to put that in your profile)

Do you do some sort of nasal irrigation/cleansing before bedtime?

You're using a very high humidifier setting. I would drown with that setting......I live in a very dry area in the Rocky Mtns. and have used "passover" (cold) humidification year-round since I started many years ago.

You don't seem to be receptive to suggestions.
Sometimes what works with this therapy is counter-intuitive to what some people think.

gasp

Post by gasp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Here's my two cents - I think you're being receptive and trying to work with people's two cents : ))) I can't blame you for being frustrated when given a therapy that could potentially help but with all that's going on it may be hard to single it out. I had really bad asthma when beginning on therapy and it took months for everything to work smoothly. Best wishes!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:40 pm

theoregonlife wrote:the congestion happens the minute i put on the mask
What is the name of your mask?

You use a setting of 4 and less is uncomfortable...
Have you tried higher than 4 setting? If so what happens?

You are using the S9 Autoset....are you also using the Climateline heated hose or the regular hose?
Setting of 4 sounds like a setting for the standard non heated hose. The Climateline hose offers a temperature adjustment.

Last edited by Pugsy on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:41 pm

You say your using 4 sprays a day, from my reading on Flonase the standard dosage is 1 to 2 sprays a day. Two side effects are runny nose and coughing. If it runs down from your nose it can also drain down your throat. Maybe your spraying to much, ask your Doctor if cutting back to the standard dosage might help. Flonase is suppose to be non addictive. Just my 2 cents.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV