First nights with the SleepWeaver elan....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bon Bon

First nights with the SleepWeaver elan....

Post by Bon Bon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:12 am

.....have not gone very well. My SleepWeaver elan starter kit arrived earlier this week. and It feels like it would be an incredibly comfortable mask if I could just figure out how to stop all the leaks.

I've watched the video that came with it several times and tried adjusting the mask like the video instructs by moving it up/down and side/side - no luck. The best adjustment seems to be lifting the mask completely away from my face and then placing it back on my nose. I can get make the leaks stop for a minute or so but at the slightest move of my face or head they spring back up. The worst leaks are the ones that blow in my eyes, the area under the nose seems pretty stable.

I started off with the straps very loose and tightened them gradually in very small increments trying to get rid of the leaks. I finally get the headgear so tight I can't stand it, so I take it off, loosen everything back up and start all over again. So far, I've only been able to sleep in it for about an hour and then the mask woke me up and I had to switch it out for another one before I could get to sleep. Last night I worked with it for about 1-1/2 hours after going to bed before I gave up and put on another mask.

Can anyone offer suggestions on what I might try next? Does it sound like the mask is too big, or do I just need to keep working with it (I've been using the regular size cushion that came with the kit)?

sylvie

Re: First nights with the SleepWeaver elan....

Post by sylvie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 am

Good luck, but for me it was a virtual hot-air balloon ride.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

ems

Post by ems » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:54 am

Didn't work for me either for similar reasons. Ended up giving it to a friend.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

cherylgrrl

Post by cherylgrrl » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 pm

I suggest you try the SleepWeaver Advance. It is the older mask they sell, but I found it fit me much better than the Elan. I have a few leaks, but less than with a hard plastic mask and easily remedied. I don't like the Elan design nearly as much and it didn't fit my face as well as the Advance. I'm really happy I found this mask, it is supremely comfortable and allows me to sleep in literally any position.

Good luck! You might also try calling their customer service, I've read elsewhere that they are very helpful.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Attaching the tether helped me. With the small cushion, the tether is not needed, but I may put this on again:
I used dental floss to tie a lingerie ring to the washer, and a string of silicone "rubber" bands
to hang it from the center of the top strap

SleepWeaverMarketing

Post by SleepWeaverMarketing » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Hello! I am just reading your post and your description of fitting our Elan SleepWeaver Nasal CPAP Mask and I would like to offer to help you with this.
If at all possible- are you able to skype with me? This allows me to see you with the mask on and often that is as good as being with you to help you.

If you are not set up to skype , we still can talk and e-mail.
Can you send me several times that are good ones for you to talk? I am in the EST zone and I am sure we can find a mutualy good time over the next 24 hours so I can try and help troubleshoot with you.

My name is Kathy and I look forward to hearing bac from you.

Kind Regards,
Kathy

wildflowertx

Post by wildflowertx » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm

For me, I tighten the top straps so that I can just barely fit a finger in flat between the strap and my head, and it's kinda tight. I never loosen the top straps once I get them set right (I had to when I changed out from the regular to small cushion a few days ago). The bottom straps, I can fit a finger in flat and it's a bit loose; these get adjusted every day, as I have to loosen them to get the mask off in the morning. Then I pull on the bottom tab to readjust the mask over my nose properly, and I'm good to go. I love this mask, it's much better for me than the Swift FX was.

You might find the small cushion is better for you than the regular, but of course you'd have to get it separately. I can see where you might not want to buy it if you're not getting the mask to work for you at all yet. I was lucky enough to get the Elan to work for me pretty much off the bat, but if you keep trying the straps to get that sweet spot between too tight and too loose, hopefully you'll get it to work for you too!

Steph

Treatment started 11/27/12

lazer

Post by lazer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 am

I revisited this mask last night for the first time in months and was really glad I had it as the Aloha I just purchased has been playing rough with my nares.

I did have a bit a of a problem initially setting it back up as I put it on upside down in the headgear.

Once that was solved, and some adjusting, I slept well and didn't seem to have much of a problem with leaks *knock on wood*

I'll be using this till at the very least my nares heal well enough to go back to the nasal pillows - either the Swift FX or Aloha.

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 am

I have also struggled with the sleep weaver masks. I have both the advance and the élan. I want them to work because they are so comfortable until they leak. The instant I turn on my side the leaks start. It's awful.

Bon Bon

Post by Bon Bon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 am

I wound up returning the Elan after working with it for several nights. I was able to gradually improve on the leaks somewhat, but the mask rode up too close to my eye and I just couldn't stand that feeling. I don't like anything right around my eyes.

I purchased a starter kit, which comes the Regular and Large size cushions. A small cushion might have been a better fit for me, but that would have been another $25 for something that I couldn't return and wasn't sure would even work. Also, I just really had a problem with the idea of having to spend $25 more than other customers because of having a small face.

Kathy with SleepWeaver has been terrific, listening to my issues with the elan and asking questions. GREAT customer service. I recommended to her that they offer a starter kit with Small & Regular cushions in addition to the kit with Regular and Large cushions.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:51 pm

For me the key is getting the bottom straps comfortable - not tight or loose. The upper strap is just support for me. I'm looking forward to trying the smaller cushion, it should help with my only problem, where my reading glasses sit while I read myself to sleep.

Sorry it didn't work for you Bon Bon, but I'm posting my suggestion hoping it might help someone else.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**