nasal drainage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ajhcmk

nasal drainage

Post by ajhcmk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I have inquired several time if anyone knows the cause of severe nasal drainage with the use of the nasal pillow. Does no one else have this issue. The machine works wonderfully and I sleep great, however, this drainage problem is severe and at times very embarrassing. I would appreciate some help.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: nasal drainage

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Keep your pillows, tank, and hose clean, change your filter regularly, take an antihistamine at bedtime,
use only distilled water in your humidifier, and consider nasal irrigation or a Neti pot if symptoms do not get better.
If seasonal allergies are at fault, just wait for the offending allergen to blow away.
Cpap actually HELPED my allergies, by adding moisture to my nasal passages.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:49 pm

ajhcmk wrote:I have inquired several time if anyone knows the cause of severe nasal drainage with the use of the nasal pillow. Does no one else have this issue. The machine works wonderfully and I sleep great, however, this drainage problem is severe and at times very embarrassing. I would appreciate some help.
Do you use a humidifier?
If so at what setting?

Nasal congestion/drainage/sneezes etc can be affected by the air going into the nose by any method and not just nasal pillows.
Some people need more moisture added and some people need less.

I have used nasal pillow mask for over 3 years now and the only time I had problems with my nose was when I forgot to add water to the humidifier and the tank went dry. This dried out my nasal mucosa something awful and its response was profuse drainage, sneezes and general miserable nose and sinuses.

It would help if we knew for sure what machine and set up you were using.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

klutzo

Post by klutzo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 pm

I had such bad post nasal drainage that I had to stop singing in choir. When I sing, I sound like I'm gargling through a vibrator, if you can imagine that. I saw an ENT doctor and even had a CAT scan of my sinuses, all normal. The ENT suggested turning the humidifer up, as did most people here.

For me, the solution was the opposite of most people. I found out by trial and error that I had to give up my humidifier completely. That has resolved 90% of the problem. Once in awhile it still bothers me. Then I use my Neti Pot.

Best of luck,
klutzo

sol

Post by sol » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:24 pm

I find nasal pillows irritating. I use nasal mask with a chinstarp - once and sometimes twice a day use sinus rinse
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/neilme ... r-kit.html