Compliance VIC - check code 9C

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
soldamerican

Compliance VIC - check code 9C

Post by soldamerican » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:15 pm

This question, even the sleep lab lady at Kaiser could not answer for me.

On my REMstar Auto A-Flex machine, under the info screen there is an option called "Compliance VIC". When you go into that screen there is a display there for starting date, days >4 and check code.

Mine reads:
Start day: 7/7/2011
Days >4: 21
Check code: 9C

Did a little research and all I could find is that VIC stands for Visual Inspection Check and that the check code is something set by the sleep lab. However, as I mentioned the kind lady at the sleep lab seemed to have know idea what the check code stood for. She thought it was maybe something set at the DME warehouse before they sent it to me.

Anyone know what this stands for? Also the Days>4 count on this does not seem to be related to the >4 count on the Days >4 screen which is separate from the Compliance VIC screen. The value "21" has not changed in almost one year now. The count of Also 7/7/11 is not the day I started using the machine, but rather the date of an appointment I had at the sleep lab a few weeks after I got it. I started using it on 6/12/11 - so if you count from 6/12/11 to 7/7/11 that about 25 days... so I don't see where this 21 comes in.

I hope this is not too confusing...

6PtStar

Re: Compliance VIC - check code 9C

Post by 6PtStar » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Don't have any idea what the code means but Day>4 means it has been used that number of days over 4 hours each day. 4 hours is generally the number of hours per day that insurance companies use as meeting compliance requirements. Don't have any idea why the number of days is not changing, it should be counting days.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Did you by any chance take the machine in with you on the July 7 date with DME?
Wonder if they did a reset of therapy session on that date? Reset to zero for some reason???

VIC code I think is just a special code for validating that the number of hours reported is really what is reported.
Example...I am DME and I call you up on the phone and ask you to go to this screen and tell me how many nights follow that greater than 4 hours symbol...you tell me 100 and then the VIC code...that particular code means that 21 that is shown.
Then I would know you didn't tell me the truth.
DME should know this. Sort of a secret way of validating compliance when they are getting hours of use verbally over the phone.

I have no idea why it would be stuck on 21 all this time. That doesn't make any sense...at first I though maybe it rolled over after 365 days because I think that the machine only stores 1 year of compliance hours of use data. That doesn't compute either. So I have no real ideas.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

soldamerican

Post by soldamerican » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Pugsy wrote:Did you by any chance take the machine in with you on the July 7 date with DME?
Wonder if they did a reset of therapy session on that date? Reset to zero for some reason???

VIC code I think is just a special code for validating that the number of hours reported is really what is reported.
Oh ok... Now the instrux in the manual make sense to me.

I did take the machine in with me to the sleep lab... I figured they must have done something with it.

What's confusing is that this number doesn't change. There is a separate screen for "Days>4" and it gives the stats for the previous 7 days and previous 30 days. On that screen the numbers change but this one has been at 21 for months since I've been checking it. Anyhow, it's no big whoop since they don't check my compliance. It seems I'm more obsessed with it than anyone else - especially since I got EncoreViewer.

But, yeah, cool I was always wondering about the check code. Now I see it's a hidden code to make sure the correct number is being reported. Nice. Learn something new every day...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:18 pm

That stuck number 21 would bug me too.
You know I suppose you could reset therapy hours to zero and start all over and see what happens...if you have a mind to.
You have all your data on the software anyway. When you insert the SD card back into the machine it puts back all the compliance usage data anyway. At least last 365 nights...

It's odd that it coincides with the time frame between when you started and that first visit to the DME.
I could see them turning that feature off so you can't see it but then nothing is seen. It is almost like they froze that part of the data and I don't know of any way that they can do that. It is either available for viewing or it isn't.

You might try turning the patient has access to AHI...off and on again...then see if it still is stuck.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

tigrpal

Post by tigrpal » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Mine has a 29 in that same spot. I've only recently watched it so I've been figuring it means compliant 29 out of the last 30 days because I missed one night on June 2 so mine hasn't moved yet. I won't be 30 days past that date until July 2 or 3. But if yours hasn't changed in a year...I don't know what it could be. I will see if mine changes by the 4th of July that will verify it for me but if it doesn't change then I'm stumped also.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:17 pm

I have two PRS1 Autos. One hasn't been used in months. One hasn't been used for several weeks. Both have at least 100 days of actual > 4 hour usage. One says "29" and another says "30."

I wonder if it only counts the first 30 days after a data reset and doesn't update past that.

I wonder if this explains why some DME's report wrong data for compliance info. If they look at this number, and they didn't reset the data on the day the patient starts CPAP, they get the wrong number. Also, if they think they're checking the most recent month, they're looking at the wrong data.

Encore pro has a menu for you to enter phoned in data. You put in the numbers plus a check code and it will tell you if the code matches the numbers.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:32 pm

archangle wrote: I wonder if it only counts the first 30 days after a data reset and doesn't update past that.
You may be onto something here.
I just checked my PR S1 BiPap Auto. I know for a fact I reset the therapy session to zero when I got the machine because it had 34 hours on it prior to my getting it.
It also says 30 in the greater that 4 compliance area next to the VIC thing.
Well over a 100 days for sure on it and all with more than 4 hours each night.
Perhaps this is designed to be checked every 30 days by DME who then resets the data to start the next 30 days.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:52 am

Pugsy wrote:I just checked my PR S1 BiPap Auto. I know for a fact I reset the therapy session to zero when I got the machine because it had 34 hours on it prior to my getting it.
Perhaps this is designed to be checked every 30 days by DME who then resets the data to start the next 30 days.
Go look under "Phone In" on the same machine. I bet you'll find a different >4 number.

Mine has something like 29 under VIC Compliance and 121 under phone in.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

-tim

Post by -tim » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:33 am

archangle wrote:
Pugsy wrote:I just checked my PR S1 BiPap Auto. I know for a fact I reset the therapy session to zero when I got the machine because it had 34 hours on it prior to my getting it.
Go look under "Phone In" on the same machine. I bet you'll find a different >4 number.

So 29 days out of the last 30 and 121 out of the last 4 months? I wonder if those times are settable.

tigrpal

Post by tigrpal » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:02 am

archangle wrote: I wonder if it only counts the first 30 days after a data reset and doesn't update past that.
That would fit with mine. I started the machine on May 5 but there was a reset via modem on May 7 and I missed only June 2 so I was compliant 29 of the first 30 days.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:16 am

archangle wrote:Go look under "Phone In" on the same machine. I bet you'll find a different >4 number.

Okay...VIC says DA for that code. Under VIC for greater than 4 hours I have 30.
When I go to the phone in compliance thing...it says greater than 4 hours..100.
I just checked Encore summary. Total days used 103. None were less than 4 hours..all were at least 5 hours and above.
So obviously no rhyme nor reason to this thing. One of those shrug your shoulders things.
I confirmed that previous owners data (34 hours) was NOT showing in the software. It shouldn't have because I specifically did reset the therapy session hours to zero. So prior owner days of use is not in the report as I erased the SD card at the same time I reset therapy session to zero.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:47 pm

I wonder how many people get screwed on compliance because the DME uses this number instead of a real check with the SD card and Encore.

Just imagine, the DME sets up the machine on Monday, patient picks it up on Thursday. The patient starts off with 3 days of "non-compliance" built in. That assumes it actually is just the record of the first 30 days after a reset. We really don't know that, and it's sort of hard to experiment with.

Or they get a used rental return machine and the DME didn't reset the data, and the compliance VIC is the data for the last user.

Useful Links.

tigrpal

Post by tigrpal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:41 pm

I missed a night Sunday night due to power outage so of the last 30 days I've been compliant 28 but my compliance VIC stayed the same - 29/30 check code E4. I'm agreeing it shows only the first 30 days after a system reset then doesn't change.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:37 pm

i love a good mystery. we do not do dme compliance and have never brought either machine into a dme.

our data doesn't square with anything i have read here or anything i can figure out looking at sleepyhead. nothing is remarkable able our vic dates. it's as if they're random numbers.

------------------------------------------------------------------
my wife got her machine brand new zero hours from a dme 9-30-2010

her vic page says
5-27-2012
>4=25
code 1E
she hasn't had close to 25 days over 4 hrs in any 30 day period.

----------------------------------------------------------------
i got my machine brand new zero hours on line 12-28-2011

my vic says
1-28-2012
>4=21
code B2
i have had over 4 hrs every day since 4-25.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990