Best way to dry tubing after washing?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
soldamerican

Best way to dry tubing after washing?

Post by soldamerican » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:46 pm

I wash my mask every fews or so and let it dry disassembled during the day so it's ready that night. The sleep lab recommended I rinse the tubing every so often as well. Luckily I waited until I got an extra tube before doing this. After I washed it - by running the shower through it - no soap just warm water - I hung it up over the shower faucet to dry. I left the window open as I normally do to circulate air and speed the drying.

Anyway, it didn't dry that day - or the second - or the fourth. It took almost week or more for the water droplets inside to finally disappear.

Wondering what other folks do, if anything. I thought about hanging it up outside but I think maybe the sun will deteriorate the plastic.

Since then I haven't even washed it. It seems fine and doesn't smell bad. It seems leaving the it to dry with all that water might promote mildew or mold growing up in there. And that would probably be bad.

greatunclebill

Re: Best way to dry tubing after washing?

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:57 pm

soldamerican wrote:I wash my mask every fews or so and let it dry disassembled during the day so it's ready that night. The sleep lab recommended I rinse the tubing every so often as well. Luckily I waited until I got an extra tube before doing this. After I washed it - by running the shower through it - no soap just warm water - I hung it up over the shower faucet to dry. I left the window open as I normally do to circulate air and speed the drying.

Anyway, it didn't dry that day - or the second - or the fourth. It took almost week or more for the water droplets inside to finally disappear.

Wondering what other folks do, if anything. I thought about hanging it up outside but I think maybe the sun will deteriorate the plastic.

Since then I haven't even washed it. It seems fine and doesn't smell bad. It seems leaving the it to dry with all that water might promote mildew or mold growing up in there. And that would probably be bad.
let it drip to get most of it out. you can hold it doubled up and swing it around to get so out too. then you could put it on your machine and just let it blow for awhile. this is where an old backup machine is handy. in the end whatever is left is fine with me. i wear it and most of the little stuff will blow thru as humidity. i don't think its neccessary to get every single little drop out prior to using. its never been a big deal to me.

to rinse it good, the hose should fit over the kitchen sink faucet. let hot water run thru it for a while. it may dry better from being hot with hot water.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:01 pm

I don't really worry about it drying too much as the warm air from the climate line drys it pretty quick. I have a air force blower that I use while grooming my pups, and that will dry it out in less than 5 minutes on rare occassions when I need to pack it up to travel.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:05 pm

When I used to wash mine I found that if I dropped a string with a small weight through it and attach a small piece of sponge on the other end and pulled it through it helped clean it and left so little water in it that it did not take long to dry.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:16 pm

I hang mine from a ring on the shower curtain in the bathroom, the rubber end through the ring, full length dangling. After washing and rinsing in hot water, it drips a bit and dries in time for night-night.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Hang mine by the shower head.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:35 pm

As soon as you turn on your CPAP there will be more moisture. What's the point of drying it??

lazer

Post by lazer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:06 pm

I just hang mine over the shower doors with an equal amount down both sides. If it has at least 4 hrs or so, this seems to work fine.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:38 pm

I have more than one hose and I swap them each week as I clean them. I find that the cleaned hose doesn't dry out for quite a few days, and I'd like them to sit dry to help kill off any bugs that might be there.

I have a vintage CPAP machine that I use just for drying hoses. You could use your main CPAP, but that would mess up your data and add blower hours and wear to the machine.

If you're going to use it that night, don't bother with drying it. It will be wet or dry soon enough depending on the room temp and humidifier settings.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

user from Singapore

Post by user from Singapore » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Maybe you can use a hair dryer with an outlet that is small enough to fit in the hose.

only a guest

Post by only a guest » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 am

If there is any moisture in the hose, from washing to condensation (rainout), I blow it dry with my old, ancient, original cpap. Old ancient sits in a drawer near the night stand where newbe lives.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:10 pm

I don't wash mine often enough to worry about it. When I do, I just hang it over the shower rod. I run my humidifier in passover mode so I figure it's just the air I breathe the rest of the day anyway.

GrantT

Post by GrantT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Seems to me you could just let the majority of water drip out, and then hold a vacuum to one end and suck air through for a minute or so....should dry it right out....just keep the "other" end of the tube in the open/clean area so you are not sucking anything bad into the tube...

Grant

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:21 pm

a little computer fan attached to a chunk or two of PVC.

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Blowing in it for a couple of hour's alway's work..lol