Apnea and night sweats

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
den942

Apnea and night sweats

Post by den942 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:42 pm

I have both central and obstructive apnea and have been using a BiPap machine for eight years now. I have a lot of problems with night sweats. I have read that apnea and night sweats together are common. What I'd like to know is how common night sweats are with people that have apnea.

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Apnea and night sweats

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:45 pm

If you don't drink alcoholic beverages, den942, you can skip this missive!

I know there can be several underlying reasons for night sweats, including serious medical conditions, however the most common cause is too much alcohol consumption too close to bedtime. At least that has been my experience. Google: "night sweats + alcohol". That should give you the basic metabolic concept.

I suggest you try eliminating all your alcohol intake several hours before you PAP-up, or if you possibly can, eliminate all consumption for a week or two and see if that helps. Worth a try. Personally, I don't consume any alcohol for at least 3-4 hours before I hit the rack. Good luck and I hope you solve your problem, den942, ... you'll need it cuz I hated those night sweats.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

den942

Post by den942 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:00 pm

I guess your suggestion doesn't apply to my situation. I've probably consumed 3-4 alcoholic drinks in the last eight years or so. I used to consumer more but
I don't recall having night sweats when I did drink more. But that was also before I had the BiPap machine.
Sir NoddinOff wrote:If you don't drink alcoholic beverages, den942, you can skip this missive!

I know there can be several underlying reasons for night sweats, including serious medical conditions, however the most common cause is too much alcohol consumption too close to bedtime. At least that has been my experience. Google: "night sweats + alcohol". That should give you the basic metabolic concept.

I suggest you try eliminating all your alcohol intake several hours before you PAP-up, or if you possibly can, eliminate all consumption for a week or two and see if that helps. Worth a try. Personally, I don't consume any alcohol for at least 3-4 hours before I hit the rack. Good luck and I hope you solve your problem, den942, ... you'll need it cuz I hated those night sweats.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:09 pm

den942 wrote:I have both central and obstructive apnea and have been using a BiPap machine for eight years now. I have a lot of problems with night sweats. I have read that apnea and night sweats together are common. What I'd like to know is how common night sweats are with people that have apnea.
Answer will differ depending on whether you are male or female. If you are female you should check with your gynaecologist. Bipap treatment does not stop ageing.

Also do you have efficacy data on your machine? Do you use software to track your therapy?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

den942

Post by den942 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:48 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
den942 wrote:I have both central and obstructive apnea and have been using a BiPap machine for eight years now. I have a lot of problems with night sweats. I have read that apnea and night sweats together are common. What I'd like to know is how common night sweats are with people that have apnea.
Answer will differ depending on whether you are male or female. If you are female you should check with your gynaecologist. Bipap treatment does not stop ageing.

Also do you have efficacy data on your machine? Do you use software to track your therapy?
I'm a male. I don't have the software or card reader for my machine. It was out of my price range when I checked into it a few years back. I have the Respironics BiPAP AutoSV machine. It came set up by the sleep center I went to originally. I had a second study done and that sleep center recommended lowering the pressure. That was done but I don't think it should have been lowered. I seem to be having more central episodes since then. At least the machine is beeping and waking me up more often...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:10 pm

You are using this machine?
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/bipap ... -cpap.html

With the Encore Smart card you need the DT 3500 Infineer card reader. The DT3500 can be found online for around $45.
Send me a private message and I will get you pointed to some software and it won't cost you anything.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

soldamerican

Post by soldamerican » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:30 pm

den942 wrote:What I'd like to know is how common night sweats are with people that have apnea.
I knew I had sleep apnea years before I finally got the machine and started using it. And I would get very severe night sweats. I'm talking about waking up 3 or 4 times a night (as I would normally do, due to the OSA) and having to change my shirt as it was SOAKING wet. I'm not exagerating when I say I could wring it out. And I'd lay a towel down because the sheets were wet too and I was too sleepy to go change the sheets at that moment.

I was in denial. I didn't want to have OSA, I didn't want to sleep with a stupid machine, it wasn't that bad, blah blah... So I have to change my sheets daily, who cares. Well, I finally got wise, started using the machine and haven't slept better for as long as I can remember. Since using the machine I haven't gotten any night sweats either. (Not to mention not peeing the bed anymore... that was actually the reason I finally got the machine. My OSA got so bad that this otherwise potty-trained 36 year old man started making water in his sleep! That was the last straw! I mean, can you imagine?!?!... so I got the machine... but that's another story for another post)

But it seems you're getting night sweats even when using the machine so... hmm. Did it just start happening or recently get worse. Couldn't hurt asking your doc about it.

user from Singapore

Post by user from Singapore » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Now that you mention it, that's another thing that has changed for me after using the machine. I remember waking up sweating on some days. That is now history.
soldamerican wrote:
I was in denial. I didn't want to have OSA, I didn't want to sleep with a stupid machine, it wasn't that bad, blah blah...
That's a great summary

den942

Post by den942 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 pm

soldamerican wrote:
den942 wrote:What I'd like to know is how common night sweats are with people that have apnea.
I knew I had sleep apnea years before I finally got the machine and started using it. And I would get very severe night sweats. I'm talking about waking up 3 or 4 times a night (as I would normally do, due to the OSA) and having to change my shirt as it was SOAKING wet. I'm not exagerating when I say I could wring it out. And I'd lay a towel down because the sheets were wet too and I was too sleepy to go change the sheets at that moment.

I was in denial. I didn't want to have OSA, I didn't want to sleep with a stupid machine, it wasn't that bad, blah blah... So I have to change my sheets daily, who cares. Well, I finally got wise, started using the machine and haven't slept better for as long as I can remember. Since using the machine I haven't gotten any night sweats either. (Not to mention not peeing the bed anymore... that was actually the reason I finally got the machine. My OSA got so bad that this otherwise potty-trained 36 year old man started making water in his sleep! That was the last straw! I mean, can you imagine?!?!... so I got the machine... but that's another story for another post)

But it seems you're getting night sweats even when using the machine so... hmm. Did it just start happening or recently get worse. Couldn't hurt asking your doc about it.
I have the "wring your shirt out" night sweats while using my BiPAP machine. It isn't a nightly thing but it is an aggravation. I guess I need to recheck side effects of my meds. If that isn't it, then I guess I will need to ask the doctor about it.

den942

Post by den942 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Pugsy wrote:You are using this machine?
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/bipap ... -cpap.html

With the Encore Smart card you need the DT 3500 Infineer card reader. The DT3500 can be found online for around $45.
Send me a private message and I will get you pointed to some software and it won't cost you anything.
That is what mine looks like but it says Respironics instead of RemStar. I'll check out that card reader. Back when I was checking into this stuff I'm thinking it was around $200 for what I needed.

soldamerican

Post by soldamerican » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:38 pm

den942 wrote:I guess I need to recheck side effects of my meds. If that isn't it, then I guess I will need to ask the doctor about it.
That is a good point. For a while I was taking long acting opiate pain meds (before and after spine surgery) and that seemed to aggravate the night sweats even more.

den942

Post by den942 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:06 pm

soldamerican wrote:
den942 wrote:I guess I need to recheck side effects of my meds. If that isn't it, then I guess I will need to ask the doctor about it.

That is a good point. For a while I was taking long acting opiate pain meds (before and after spine surgery) and that seemed to aggravate the night sweats even more.

I had laminectomy surgery At L3-L4 and L4-L5 in '72, '74, and '76, then a compression fracture at L1 repaired in 2005. I don't use prescription pain meds very often. My back has hurt more than not since 1965 and I just got used to it, I guess. Once in a while it spasms so bad it takes a trip to the ER to get it under control again. I can't say if any pain meds made the night sweats worse...