Burping!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
soldamerican

Burping!

Post by soldamerican » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:06 pm

I've been sleeping with my CPAP machine for about a year now. Getting the best sleep I've gotten in years. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this as well. I usually wake up at least one time during the night. I'll usually sit up, remove the mask for a moment to get some fresh air or a drink. But sometimes I will just erupt in with a huge burp! I'm talking Olympic burp. One that you hear in the movies! Obivously it was the machine that somehow pushed air into my stomache. Doesn't happen all the time or even very often.

To be clear, I have a full face mask as I breath through my mouth and am usually at least partly congested due to a deviated septum. Anyone else experience this or have any idea why it happens? Is it something to be concerned about?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Burping!

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Aerophagia.
If you are not in pain, so much the better; if you are, type aerophagia in the search window.
Several threads offer suggestions.
Good luck.

Pugsy

Re: Burping!

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Happens to a lot of people in some way or fashion and often like you...not all the time.
Happens to me from time to time. Not so much in the middle of the night because I don't wake up to fully awake state often during the night but some mornings when I do get up I have a bit more gas than usual.
It is nothing to be concerned about. Just a little air leaked into the stomach and needs to come out.
If it causes a lot of gastric pain that is prolonged then there are some things to do to help limit it but for occasional loud burps or even farts...entirely normal and not any problem unless a lot of pain is involved that is not easily relieved.

Google aerophagia at the Wiki at the top of this forum page for additional information and hints for limiting it should the gas become really painful.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.