Facehugger got stolen by a freaking tweaker

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
McSnoresalot

Facehugger got stolen by a freaking tweaker

Post by McSnoresalot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:44 am

Using an old back-up machine (DeVilbiss) I got off Craigslist.

So, the snowpack in the Cascades has receded enough to open all the passes, Wifey and I loaded up the Vette and headed up into the mountains for the Weekend - I particularly like to hammer that old Vette up through Chinook Pass and into the Mount Rainier National Park, great vistas and a couple hundred miles of twisty mountain roads.

Discovered a while back that while the campgrounds are packed this time of year, the ski areas are ghost towns - yet a lot of the facilities are still open - one in particular, has nice condos at cut rate prices, a first rate pub (the Snorting Elk) and a restaurant on the top of the mtn (7,000 ft) that you ride the gondola up to - great food, adult beverages and no crowds = good times.

Anyway - on the way back on Sunday, decided to hit a remote lodge for a late breakfast, leaving the lodge, the GPS inexplicably wanted me to head North instead of the expected South. Game on! Over Wifey's strenuous objections (she was already bent because I wouldn't put the top up) - I blindly followed the track laid out on the GPS. Long story short - the Navigation ran us a couple miles North, then East for a couple miles then (Damn!) onto a gravel Forest Service road completely unsuited to the Vettes capabilities.

Now Wifey can not resist the desire to repeat the "I told you so's" while I am trying to wrestle that old car over the ruts - this of course made me refuse to admit error and soldier on road conditions be damned....until I dropped the nose of the car into a boggy spot I couldn't get it out of.

Crap, crap, crap - no cell service up there in the hills, unexpected 3 mile hike back out to the main hwy and then another couple miles walking before someone offered us a ride - was nearly 3 hrs later before we got back to the car with a wrecker.

By the time we got back- car had been ransacked, luggage gone, most of the audio system gone (I still have the faceplate - they took the amp and speakers) - pretty much cleaned out - we figure it was the local "tweakers" (meth heads that cook their drugs up in the woods - leaving that car abandoned out there was like waving a red flag at a bull)

They got Facehugger and a couple masks - all replaceable, but really annoying.

Mac

Pugsy

Re: Facehugger got stolen by a freaking tweaker

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:54 am

I can hear the "I told you so" clear out here where I live.
Somehow I don't think it will be the last time your wife gets to tell you that though.

I know it isn't funny what happened to you but I just can't help from chuckling.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Sad to say, you'll probably be able to buy it back on Craigslist in a few days.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Sorry to hear about the theft.

We were using my GPS in the Los Angeles Basin. After directing us to get on the freeway via a cloverleaf shaped onramp that totally overwhelmed the internal compass, my GPS instructed us to "prepare to make a U-Turn". . . Across 8 lanes each way of freeway traffic on I-5 North!

Google "my GPS is trying to kill me" for more fun and games!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

JoeP

Post by JoeP » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Mine wanted me to tow a 40' fifth wheel camper through Times Square on a Friday night. Uhh...No.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Our GPS has out of date map files--they were old when we bought the car; and a year or so ago,
when we had loose lumber slide into the display, the whole unit had to be replaced.
We got back the old maps; the dealer took the new disc out of the new unit; even though our insurance paid for EVERYTHING.
They want several hundred for the new maps. and all we get is the run-around. Sound familiar?
I will mention this was at Performance Toyota in Lincoln, NE.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I can't believe you put your vette in the hands of a gps and even turned onto that road. I hope they stole the gps. I think you are better off without it.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Oh my goodness... Welcome to the "I told you so" club. I can't tell you how many times my wife has explained to me that my GPS is not reliable.

While often she is right, there are also many times when we enjoy a "new route" to our destination. Fortunately our 4x4 has more ground clearance than your Vett...

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 pm

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

tigrpal

Post by tigrpal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:18 pm

My Garmin has settings such as No gravel roads, No U-turns, No tollways, Fastest way, Shortest way, etc. It's never let me down.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:21 pm

My first day of work in Chicago area... used the GPS to find the office that I was to report to... ended up at a shopping mall, NOT AT ALL where I was supposed to be.