Philips System 1 pro or ResMed Escape

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bigron452

Philips System 1 pro or ResMed Escape

Post by Bigron452 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thrilled I found this forum. I've been using a cpap machine for the past 9 yrs, without any issues. My machine is getting older (ResMed S6) and has served me well. It's always been noisy, never had a humidifier - just a blower, tube and mask. The sound has never bothered me or my wife. Now my company has switched insurance companies and I'm looking at getting a new cpap machine. The medical supply company that I use now carries the Philips System 1 pro with humidifier. I've never used (or seen for that matter) this system in person, only photo's online. I'm looking to get user reviews of this machine, or should I take my script to another company and stick with ResMed? .. Just looking for some likes and dislikes, I will go take a look at both units, but want to know if there are some things that I should consider first. Thanks in advance for your replies!!

jacob006a

Re: Philips System 1 pro or ResMed Escape

Post by jacob006a » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:20 pm

If you are interested in efficiency data, the Resmed "Escape" models do not provide this information. They only provide compliance data, that you are using your machine.

Best regards

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Bigron452 wrote:Hello Everyone,

Thrilled I found this forum. I've been using a cpap machine for the past 9 yrs, without any issues. My machine is getting older (ResMed S6) and has served me well. It's always been noisy, never had a humidifier - just a blower, tube and mask. The sound has never bothered me or my wife. Now my company has switched insurance companies and I'm looking at getting a new cpap machine. The medical supply company that I use now carries the Philips System 1 pro with humidifier. I've never used (or seen for that matter) this system in person, only photo's online. I'm looking to get user reviews of this machine, or should I take my script to another company and stick with ResMed? .. Just looking for some likes and dislikes, I will go take a look at both units, but want to know if there are some things that I should consider first. Thanks in advance for your replies!!
If the choice is between a PR System One Pro and a Resmed S9 Escape, there is an obvious answer.

Pick the PR System One Pro. The System One Pro records full efficacy data including both leaks and AHI datahe; the S9 Escape only records compliance data.

Data is the only way you can verify that your therapy is actually working. Yes, there's the highly subjective "How do you feel?" way of measuring therapy. And if you feel great, that's fine. But if you start feeling lousy, then there's no way to figure out whether there's something that needs to be adjusted concerning your therapy.

The System One Pro is a state of the art fixed pressure machine. It compares well in terms of both comfort and quality of therapy to the Resmed S9 series. On paper it is slightly noisier, but most actual users have no trouble with the sound of the machine. The rainout control is built into the humidifier rather than an optional (and expensive) heated hose the way it is on the S9 Escape. For many of us, the System One's rainout control works quite well even without a heated hose.

The System One Pro's exhalation relief system (C-Flex+) does not work the same way that the Resmed's EPR does. So if you currently use EPR on your older Resmed machine, it may take a bit of an effort to get used to C-Flex+ instead of EPR.

Final note: If the choice were between a Resmed S9 Elite and a PR System One Pro, then I'd say stick with Resmed unless it would be far cheaper OOP to get the System One Pro. That's because the Elite records the full efficacy data that the Escape does not.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:31 pm

I'll bet you qualify for a new mask, too.
Check on what's out there.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

Bigron452

Post by Bigron452 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks for the info, honestly in the past my doctor or anyone has never had me keep track of my sleep habits. Once I had the sleep study, the machine was set and I just turned it on and let it go (I've never used the ramp up feature either). I usually sleep through the night, and typically get a new mask, hose and filters every six months or so. I will talk to my provider about my sleep habits, now that I'm aware I want to make sure I"m getting the best nights rest. Because I've been doing a lot of travelling as well - I see most of the new machines are smaller and lighter that my current unit. Both of these units appear to come apart, so that I can travel without the humidifier (since I'm not used to having one anyway) to make things easier.

jlklinko

Post by jlklinko » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi there
1) My previous provider tried to give me an Escape.
2) I had it for a few weeks until I became educated.
3) You don't want an Escape, you want an S9 Autoset!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:35 pm

I agree, I couldn't sleep without my Autoset.
Hubby WOULDN'T sleep without his.
It's like the difference between a thoroughbred and a jackass.
(guess which is which.)

bigroon452

Post by bigroon452 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:45 pm

How about features, any thing in particualr that stands out on either machine? My current unit Resmed S6 - had no settings, no software .. only a ramp up feature. I use the ResMed Ultra mirage II nasal mask and head gear. Very basic setup. A little more comfort would be nice, what types of head gear are used with these units? Can the flow be adjusted?

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:56 pm

DO..NOT..GET..THE..ESCAPE.

Or a PR Plus.

Even if your doctor isn't smart enough to look at the data, he may learn better or you may get a good sleep doctor later. Or you might even learn to look at your own data. If you think you develop CPAP problems later, the data capable machines can help figure things out. You may even save the cost of a new sleep test.

S9 Elite or PR Pro are both good machines. It's a bit of a Ford vs. Chevy choice. I'd probably favor the S9 machine right now, especially because it's easier to get the software.

See if you can get a PR Auto, or an S9 AutoSet instead. They don't cost much more, and probably don't cost the patient any more. They will do everything the Elite or Pro will do, including manual CPAP. Don't accept an S9 Escape Auto.

Figure out which DMEs (CPAP sellers) are in network for your insurance, and be prepared to call several of them if the first one won't give you the right machine.

Read Janknitz's blog on dealing with the DME.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:07 pm

bigroon452 wrote:How about features, any thing in particualr that stands out on either machine? My current unit Resmed S6 - had no settings, no software .. only a ramp up feature. I use the ResMed Ultra mirage II nasal mask and head gear. Very basic setup. A little more comfort would be nice, what types of head gear are used with these units? Can the flow be adjusted?
By the way, Philips Respironics is switching from Series One (PRS1) to Series 60 (PRS60) CPAPs. You may end up with a Series 60 once the old stock is used up. Series 60 has a heated hose. One disadvantage is that the free SleepyHead software we all like to use doesn't work with Series 60 hardware yet, and the author isn't working on the software for updates right now.

For S9 ELITE or Auto and PRS60 Pro or AutoSet.

Both can use heated hoses. (Not PRS1 machines)
You can easily find out how to change your own pressure even though you're not supposed to.
They have "exhale relief" options to lower the pressure when you exhale.
Be sure to get the humidifier.
Almost any CPAP headgear works with any machine.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

bouncer

Post by bouncer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Bigron: Just a word of caution ... after using the old Resmed S6, if you are thinking of a newer Resmed, please trial the machine first to make sure you are comfortable with it. The newer models seem to give a very different therapy; I have used the Resmed S7 Auto for 10 years with no problem at all but I was unable to tolerate the more aggressive pressures of the S9 Auto. I am now about to try the PR System 10 and hoping I have more luck.

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi bigroon452 and welcome

Having just gone through the hurdles to get my initial equipment I was overwhelmed (well almost). The education I got in here from the er...more experienced forum members was priceless.

There are many machines to pick from, but you really want one that allows you to get the most of your sleep statistics off of it and into a PC (or mac). In this way you can see how your treatment if progressing. Many of the members in this forum like these four. The ResMed S9 Autoset and Respironics PR System One REMstar Plus CPAP Machine with C-Flex. Both of these are APAP machines. The S9 Elite and PR 60 Series Pro are full data capable CPAP machines.

Many people in this forum prefer the Automatic machines (APAP) because the machine monitors how you are doing and uses "just enough" pressure between the upper and lower limits selected in your prescription to prevent hypopneas. If you (or your doctor) just want a constant upper pressure then the CPAP models would suffice.

Masks have come a long way. Some people (including myself) swear by the pillow masks (Swift FX, Aloha, Opus 360 are some). Other will not touch a nasal mask with a stick, for them it is the full face mask. You will find one common thread about masks. No two faces are the same. What fits me may not fit you. What makes you claustrophobic to me is snuggly. Visit our sponsor/host CPAP.COM and do some window shopping or take your script and do some real shopping. ---disclaimer --- I have no financial interest in CPAP.COM or our hosts.

Cheers and good luck,
Tino

PS if I got the PR machines incorrect I am sure someone will straighten me out!

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

BigRon

Post by BigRon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks everyone for all of the solid advice. I'm now going to look closer at my purchase and get the machine that I feel most comfortable with not the one my DME wants to sell me. Article, "What you need to know before you meet your DME" was perfect!! I've done some talking with my insurance carrier, but will do more, I know that BCBS will pay 90% but I don't know to how much. I also want to check to see what other suppliers take my insurance before I sign for anything to make sure I get what I want! Is there anyway to test units? One of the posts mentions that my old machine, may have a different therapy from the newer models? Any suggestions there?

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:21 pm

BigRon wrote:One of the posts mentions that my old machine, may have a different therapy from the newer models? Any suggestions there?
Is your old S6 a manual CPAP, i.e. not an auto, no exhale relief, no "EPR?" Is it just a ResMed S6 or does it have a suffix like Escape, Elite, Autoset, Vantage, etc.? I'm not familiar enough to know if s6 gets "fancy."

If the old one is manual, all the fancy features on an S9 or PR machine can be switched off to give you pure, dumb, straight pressure, if any of the bells and whistles bother you. I think it's unlikely to be a problem other than a short adjustment period anyway.

Useful Links.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Tino2You wrote:Many of the members in this forum like these four. The ResMed S9 Autoset and Respironics PR System One REMstar Plus CPAP Machine with C-Flex. Both of these are APAP machines. The S9 Elite and PR 60 Series Pro are full data capable CPAP machines.
PS if I got the PR machines incorrect I am sure someone will straighten me out!
Yep, we PR users will straighten you out.

You got the PR fixed pressure machine wrong.

The PR REMStar System One CPAP Plus with C-Flex is the compliance only brick machine.

The PR REMStar System One CPAP Pro with C-Flex Plus is the fixed pressure machine that records full efficacy data.