Knocking the machine off the night stand

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gizmogidget

Knocking the machine off the night stand

Post by Gizmogidget » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Have any of you done this? I moved the night stand flush against my bed so the machine would not fall on the floor. This helps but lately the machine is close to falling onto the bed by morning. I didn't notice this until I got the hose snuggie which may be too comfortable because it is like a blanket. There must be some good ideas out there on how I can protect my machine from my tossing and turning.....

Pugsy

Re: Knocking the machine off the night stand

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:44 pm

A hose management system might help because it would lessen any tension from the hose to the machine.
There are many out there and it is also very easy to design your own.
If you are really bad about pulling on it then I would get a long strip of something and wrap it around the machine and the table to tie it down.
I suppose someone could also use velcro to stick it to the table.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 pm

I have to route the hose over the headboard of the bed otherwise I would be worrying too. This arrangement gives me a huge range of motion without threatening to dump that expensive piece of machinery full of water on the floor. So not good! I thought about getting some sort of grippy, rubber mat to place the machine on too but never tried it as I'm content with what I've done. One of those hose caddys might be of help too.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

IndyDave

Post by IndyDave » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:51 pm

I did it once by rolling over too vigorously, and the hose pulled the machine off. I took care of that with a longer hose. You may be able to bungee strap your machine to your night table, to keep it from moving - look for the straps that allow you to adjust the length. Or maybe some velcro tape on the bottom and on the table, to give it that bit more friction?

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:29 pm

You really need to place it somewhere you can't pull it off or figure out some way to make it really difficult to pull off.

Finding some way to secure the hose to the table is a good start.

If you pull it off the table, water can get into the machine, ruining it. Or just break it mechanically. You may not be able to get a replacement machine though insurance, and may get stuck paying DME RETAIL price of a few thousand dollars.

I think all CPAP machines should come with some means to screw them to the table.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:00 pm

IndyDave wrote: I did it once by rolling over too vigorously, and the hose pulled the machine off. I took care of that with a longer hose.
I also had the PAP machine with humidifier almost fall to the floor from my night stand (two different times) by rolling over. Both times I awakened when my mask felt like it was being ripped from my face. The machine and humidifier were just dangling there in space like a tight rope walker, about a foot off of the floor, saved by the power cord and my mask & hose. After that, I too took care of it by getting a longer hose and went from a 6 ft. to a 8 ft. I do not use a hose hanging system and also like to cuddle the hose with its nice Snugglehose cover. Fortunately for me I have never had another incident because the extra 2 feet of hose does not allow me to pull on the machine at all due to the extra slack. For me, problem solved!

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

user from Singapore

Post by user from Singapore » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:35 am

You can place it in the drawer of your night table.

Burkebang

Post by Burkebang » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:47 am

user from Singapore wrote:You can place it in the drawer of your night table.
+1
This also reduces the noice from the machine and makes the bedroom much easier to tidy up.

user from Singapore

Post by user from Singapore » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:54 am

Looks like you finished drinking the aquavit?

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:42 am

When the machine is in use, is the drawer open or closed? I can see some really funny potential problems for klutzy, half asleep girls if the drawer remains open. LOL! Like I would really remember to reach over and close the drawer before getting out of bed.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:31 am

How about a couple strips of velcro?

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:50 am

I have a sheet of the "grip-it" that i use in the camper to keep things from sliding around under my machine. This keeps it really stable. If you were really worried about it you could get the tie downs that they use to secure a TV or other heavy items in a motor home, http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... grips/2460

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:06 am

I would be reluctant in putting the machine in a drawer because it may restrict air movement. I use the hose buddy. I't's the best investment I have made in my cpap journey.

Sheriff

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:11 am

I use a piece of that waffle weave stuff that you use in kitchen cabinets under it and it stays put plus a hose management system.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:47 am

Before I got my hose buddy I placed the lamp between the machine and the bed so it would knock that off first.

Hose buddy did the trick and I no longer have to think about it.