New to the site but not the CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepwiggler

New to the site but not the CPAP

Post by sleepwiggler » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi all I just found thus site the other day as I was visiting the RLS site. So a little about me I have restless legs and I have been take meds for thus since 2008. Two years ago my cardiologist who I seeing for palpations recommended I get a sleep study. I had the split study and a week later I had my CPAP my pressure is set at 15. Ialsdo was recently diagnosed with Hypersonima and depression. I stay tired and lack energy I have felt that way for years so it had taken a toll on me mentally and emotionally. I seem to sleep OK and my AHI stays low rarely above 1, however it does not take long after getting up that I am exhausted. I work a full time first shift job and the provigil that my doctor prescribes only last for about half a day. So that's my story. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully help someone along the way.

So I will list my meds
- for rls: 4mg of requip twice a day and 4mg of klonopin 2 hours before bed
- Provigil 200 mg one to two times a day
- diabetes 1000mg Metformin Er.

BlackSpinner

Re: New to the site but not the CPAP

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:54 pm

Welcome
You have an S9 autoset so you will be able to get data off it and use the sleepyhead software to see how you are really doing during the night.
See the thread at top "Pusy's tutorials ...." to find out all about the software and how to get it.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Elle

Post by Elle » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:04 pm

If I took a 1/4 mg of klonipin before sleep I would be groggy the next day. I am not surprised you don't have energy. Is there any way you can cut it back?

Sorry you are having struggles but there are lots of smart people here (I'm not one but they will come by) to help you get it going.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi sleepwiggler. Glad you found your way over here. I am sleepdancer on that forum. Just as we have some CPAP gurus here, they have some RLS gurus over there. Hope you begin to find some solutions to your problems.

sleepwiggler

Post by sleepwiggler » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:09 am

@ kteague good to see a familiar name.

I have tried to cut back on the Klonopin but actaully it has almost no effect on me at time I was taking 1mg during the day and 1 at night I could function without any problems or side effects. I can probably count on one hand how many times I have felt refreshed after a night of sleep. Yes I know that is a lot of meds as for the Requip and Klonopin and I going to see if there is something better out there. Honestly most nights even without meds I am asleep within 5 minutes of putting my mask on and then there are nights I cannot get to sleep with the meds or I will fall asleep and 30 minutes later I am up because of my RLS.

Funny story here I took my trail cam and set it up in the bedroom to see what the heck during the night and for my doctor.I do not take the mask off except for a bathroom break if needed and when time to get up. Anyway, I set the cam to do videos and I tell I tossed and turned all night and my legs well I could have run a marathon on those nights.

AS for pulling data off my S9 I just started using Sleepseeker from Resmed's Wake up to Sleep sight. Usage is good AHI is good but the darn mask leaks I swear I did not feel a leak last night but according to the data it showed an average 37.2 l/minute. I sometimes have to pull the mask away from my nose to give it a scratch but not sure one or two times would cause that much of a leak.

I wish I had been using this software last year because it would have been interesting to see the leaks then. There was one night I moved the mask off my nose put it on my forehead, realized what I did and then put it back. I bet it was not two minutes I did the same thing. That happened about 2 more times that night, I found it aggravating at the time but funny the next morning.

As for mask I cannot use one that cover that mouth and nose I have a habit of getting a dry mouth and will cough a little in the night. I have been looking at some of the ones of CPAP.com and reviewing what the users here have to say about the mask they use.