Mask comparisons

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Joes

Mask comparisons

Post by Joes » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:45 am

Good morning all. Hope you have a great day! Is there a site, or sites, that compare masks. I meet with the supplier on Wednesday to select my system and the Doctor and sleep folks are pushing for a full face mask. I have read enough to be thoroughly confused about which is best. As an old gentleman once told me "Everyones fish is fresher than his neighbors" and I don't know how much is hype and how much is fact. Any input would be truly appreciated.

Joe

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:24 am

Take your time.
Measure the masks lying down.
Believe that masks have to be comfortable.
Take along a list with names of maks from different companies, and ask the supplier if he /she has them - notice if the supplier works with more than one company.
Don't preclude any kind of mask, I would never have blieved I'ld use nasal pillows - but those are the ones I feel best in.

Good luck!
O.

neverbetter1

manonparkave

Post by neverbetter1 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:10 pm

There should be a place we can try on all the masks before we buy. Like shoes.

neverbetter

masks

Post by neverbetter » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:12 pm

Sorry, forgot to register. No wonder the username was taken. It was me!

Linda3032

Re: Mask comparisons

Post by Linda3032 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:12 pm

Joes wrote:and the Doctor and sleep folks are pushing for a full face mask. Joe
Why? Did you use a full face during your sleep study? Did you try to breath thru your mouth?

If you are not a mouth breather, then I don't know why you would need a full face mask. Also, many a mouth breather can learn to sleep with a closed mouth.

Unless you have specific reasons why nasal pillows won't work for you, then you should try them. Either the Aura Headrest, the Swift, or the Breeze. Forum surverys show that they are the most comfortable and preferred (if you can use them).

You need to try to start therapy with the most comfortable mask possible - and usually full face masks don't fall into that category.

Ranger

New mask

Post by Ranger » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:10 pm

Just ordered a Dreamfit today. I was going to order a Comfort Curve, but saw too many posts with problems. There have been changes to the CC, but the Dreamfit is cheaper. I am praying it's better than my okde ones.

Joes

Mask comparison

Post by Joes » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:03 pm

Thanks all for the responses. This site is so great- it builds confidence as well as providing information and knowledge. The tech switched me to a full face after about three hours of my sleep lab. Said I was breathing through my mouth. Wife says I never do, and I tend to believe her after all these years. Anyway... I tried the Swift on my first try- it took me three to get it done, and I really did not feel comfortable with it. The biggest complaint was the exhaust which seemed to follow me around the bed. No matter where I put my arms there seemed to be cold air blowing on it. I freaked out that night and I probably have exaggerated things in my mind. I handled the nasal mask very well and prefer it at this point. I intend to try the Headrest on my own after I get acclimated to whatever system I start on. It seems to be the most comfortable and provide the most movement. I am a flopper and flipper and it appeals to me for that reason alone.

God Bless and take care

Joe

born to be mild

Mask comparison site

Post by born to be mild » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi Joes;

Try this site:
http://cpap-supply.com/
and on the left side box for "Product Type", pull down to "Masks with Headgear."

It's the only place I've found that has a system for rating various masks. And the ratings largely reflect the comments you'll find here on cpaptalk.com.

I will tell you that I like cpap.com very much -- as the best place to order supplies from. But the rating system on the cpap-supply.com site is a nice way to see if the mask you're considering is worthy of love or hate.