FUll face mask woes may have to pay out for Hans Rudolph

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sapphireskye

FUll face mask woes may have to pay out for Hans Rudolph

Post by sapphireskye » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:34 pm

HI, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 6 years ago, but was unable to tolerate the nasal mask and never got treated and just this last month got another sleep study done and am on a full face mask (the ultra mirage) I am having a hard time with this mask and wanted to get another type of full face mask to try. I only have two weeks left to get it swapped out. Well my DME said the only one they have is the Ultra Mirage FF mask, but they do have accounts with respironics, resmed, and Fischer and Paykal. I wanted them to get me a Hans Rudolph 7600 to try because of the problems I am having with the mask. Rigidity, undermouth leaking because I breathe through my mouth, and I don't think the cushioning is comfortable regardless of the straps adjustment. Well, I called Hans Rudolph and they are sending me calipers. The only different mask other than the one by respironics I can get that might work better is the Fischer Paykal one if they will order it for me. The Hans Rudolph will not be something they will order very easily and it may end up that in January if we get some extra money hubby is supposed to get that I will have to pay out of pocket. I just hope that the Fischer Paykal Mask will work with the underchin cushion and design. I am young, but on disability right now and Medicare will only cover two masks a year. I am frustrated because I want to comply with my therapy but there is only one lady at the oxygen company that I am able to work with everytime I call. She is very nice, but I do not feel that she is very knowledgeable as much as she should be. Well, looks like I will be out of luck if the fischer paykal mask doesn't work for me. Any advice is welcome. I cannot tolerate a nasal mask. Also I am on the C-FLex with a humidifier at level 8 setting and my apnea is not severe, but I have a problem with fatigue due to this and immune problems.

Chelle

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, resmed, mirage, medicare, DME

th

Post by th » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:46 pm

check this link below from neversleeps
th
viewtopic.php?t=6217

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:39 pm

I know neversleeps is having all kinds of problems with the Hans Rudolph and so was allen. allen was having head gear trouble until I told her how to make a head gear.

Yes I have even made my own head gear for face masks.

I saved my then boyfriend's life by remembering what his head gear looked like. He brought every thing for his cpap, but he forgot the head gear. It was over to Wally World and back to the motel and in about half hour's time he was sleeping like a baby.

The best way to get the proper fit for the Hans Rudolph is to call the company to get the caliper and other information. DME's refuse to even learn how to read or use this caliper. Once you get your reading call the company and tell them the numbers and they will tell you the size mask you need.

I know for a fact that DME's do not know how to measure or read the caliper.

Not all masks fit all faces and not all masks are for everyone.

Good Luck

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

allen

Post by allen » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:23 am

Interesting timing thing--since I was having trouble with the Hans Rudolph, I gave the UltraMirage FF another try. Much better results, and I've been wearing it for the past couple of days. I'm on vacation (I'm a teacher) and I've been taking MANY naps during the days. It works fine for day sleeping, but I'm waking up after night time sleeping and finding that I've taken it off.

One thing that has helped me with the Ultra Mirage is wearing it a little lower on my nose than I had been. The Hans Rudolph sits lower on the nose, and I tried the same with the U Mirage. It helped.

I went to the fabric store and got the elastic and velcro to make myself a headgear that I can use with the HR. I've not yet sat down at the sewing machine. Maybe I'll get on that today.

allen

Post by allen » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:29 am

Sharon,
I saved my then boyfriend's life by remembering what his head gear looked like. He brought every thing for his cpap, but he forgot the head gear. It was over to Wally World and back to the motel and in about half hour's time he was sleeping like a baby.
Half an hour? I'm impressed. Since I figure you didn't take your sewing machine on vacation, you did the sewing by hand, yes? I'm horrible at using the sewing machine (I'm a guy, what can I say) and sewing by hand would take me weeks.

You rock!
Allen

sapphireskye

Post by sapphireskye » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:24 pm

I have the info from Hans Rudolph from the mail today, but I do not think my DME will bother trying to get me a mask from them during the last two weeks of my trial. But I am rough, and appears I was rough on the Mirage. I just don't know if the Fischer and Paykal will work for me but since they have an account with them they aren't grumbling as much. I think it is baloney that I cannot have a choice of masks to try. Making your own headgear wow. I think I will learn a lot from this board.

Bless you all and Merry Christmas

born to be mild

Another FF mask you DON'T want to waste money on...

Post by born to be mild » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:19 pm

... would be the Respironics ComfortFull. In one night it put blisters on the top of my nose, after two nights I gave up and paid for an UltraMirage out of my own pocket.

Unfortunately (the ComfortFull being my first mask) I wasn't yet aware of this forum, nor of the common-sense idea that masks should be tried while laying down in the position you'll be using it!

The ComfortFull pushed air out the top toward my eyes, and out the side at the bottom of the trangle. I tried every conceivable adjustment, to no avail... This thing was poorly designed, unless you have a very flat face (as would happen if you've been hit dead-on with a frying pan, a la 3 Stooges). I know they're working on a new design, but the photos don't provide any assurance it would be any better.

Good luck in working with your provider!