Dead power supply

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Steve H

Dead power supply

Post by Steve H » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:48 am

My trusty Everest power supply burned up. Fortunately, I had a spare but I'd really like to replace the dead one but I haven't found one yet. The label says it was made by GlobTek. I contacted their site and a manager said they no longer make the power supply for my machine. A search on the web hasn't yielded anything much, either. Any ideas? I think the challenge would be to match the plug on the end of the cord that plugs into the CPAP unit. It's a little rectangular stud with a groove on one side (to orient + and - ) and two small holes that receive the prongs which are inside the CPAP machine. Sound familiar to anybody?

JDS74

Re: Dead power supply

Post by JDS74 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:37 am

It appears as if your machine is a discontinued model from a company that stopped making them in 2010.

It will help if you can post a picture of the power supply label and of the cable end that goes into your CPAP. That way we can see what the output parameters are for your machine.

Matching the power supply parameters will allow you to use the existing cable end from the dead supply on a new one if a match can be found.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 am

There is much more than mechanical matching of the plug. There is type of current (AC, DC), nominal voltage (under what load), maximum current, in the case of DC (likely), polarity and many more: rectification, filtering, stabilization, etc. There are transient characteristics and lots of other subtleties, although you could get away with matching only a few (plug, DC polarity/waveform stability, voltage, current, power dissipation). Some of those are listed on your current PS, showing a picture would help.
McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

woodworkerjunkie

Post by woodworkerjunkie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:14 pm

You might keep an eye on Ebay and do a search on craigslist using http://www.dailylister.com that will give results nation wide. You might luck up and find one that somebody is selling. Just be careful using craigslist!

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:14 pm

A replacement power supply is available for your Aiomed Everest 2 or 3

http://www.mpja.com/19-Volt-Adapter-Pow ... 9077%20PS/

This place seems to be a robotics supply house that sells surplus electronic parts. They show over 1200 of them in stock, $3.95 each and shipping is cheap.

I just ordered two of them.
I'm just a Regular Joe trying to make it in a big, bad, unfair world armed with nothing more than a fistful of unsubstantiated facts, a somewhat weak grasp of the English language, misplaced vengeance issues and some tired conspiracy theories.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:25 pm

You have to be careful with these batteries. I paid $500 for a Resmed battery. I only used it for a short time while OS. When I came home I put it away and didnt look at it again for 6 months. Thats it,its dead and can not be made good again. Put it somewhere where you can see it and be reminded to recharge it often.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:33 pm

ozze_dollar wrote:You have to be careful with these batteries. I paid $500 for a Resmed battery. I only used it for a short time while OS. When I came home I put it away and didnt look at it again for 6 months. Thats it,its dead and can not be made good again. Put it somewhere where you can see it and be reminded to recharge it often.
Good advice. However, don't just plug it into a charger and leave the charger running all the time. That will often shorten the life. One thing I have done that worked pretty well was to put the charger on a weekly timer and let it charge for 4 or 5 hours a week.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.