how long does a heated hose last for? Cleaning?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingBearDoNtWake

how long does a heated hose last for? Cleaning?

Post by SleepingBearDoNtWake » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Hello,

Anyone have any thoughts about what the average life span of a heated hose for the resmed S9 would be?
Do you know if insurance will cover it if you get a written prescription. $50 for a hose could add up fast if they don't last long?
Also what about cleaning it. Do you have to be extra careful? Can I clean it with the Control III disinfectant? I know that it is listed as a corrosive so I was just wondering, if that would affect the hose and cause it to break down any faster.

Thanks,

Mike

ozze_dollar

Re: how long does a heated hose last for? Cleaning?

Post by ozze_dollar » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:58 pm

SleepingBearDoNtWake wrote:Hello,

Anyone have any thoughts about what the average life span of a heated hose for the resmed S9 would be?
Do you know if insurance will cover it if you get a written prescription. $50 for a hose could add up fast if they don't last long?
Also what about cleaning it. Do you have to be extra careful? Can I clean it with the Control III disinfectant? I know that it is listed as a corrosive so I was just wondering, if that would affect the hose and cause it to break down any faster.

Thanks,

Mike
I have had mine now for 17 months and hardly ever clean it.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 pm

I've had mine for 11 months and have not cleaned it. I had my last hose (not heated) for 5 and a half years and it was fine (cleaned a couple of times).

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Ugh, I need to clean mine.
It's about a year and a half old.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:54 pm

SleepingBearDoNtWake wrote:Do you know if insurance will cover it if you get a written prescription.
Check with your insurance company regarding replacement and interval.
Original cpap RX should be sufficient. Your insurance may or may not follow Medicare guidelines so best to check with them.
Even Medicare allows replacement 1 per 3 months.
See this chart. Code A4604
http://www.resmed.com/us/documents/1013 ... sories.pdf

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Mine is 24 months old this month. Twice in the past month the machine has shut off in the middle of the night and flashed a "Heated Hose Malfunction. Replace hose" message. In both cases, with one eye open I simply reset the machine and refilled the humidifier reservoir (which had run dry) and it started up and ran just fine, so when you get that message it isn't necessarily the hose. I keep a spare for backup, though.

I have never cleaned the hose. There is no reason to do so. There is a filter on the inlet of the machine and the air passes over warm water in the humidifier. Any dust not trapped by the filter would be caught in the water. It's just not necessary to clean the hose. The air coming out the end of the hose is far cleaner than the air that you would breathe if you removed the mask. Furthermore, that's what the mucous in your nose and sinuses and in your trachea and lungs is there for; to filter out and remove particulates.
Last edited by Slartybartfast on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:17 am

Resmed suggests using this method to clean your hose. http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/ ... lo_eng.pdf

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Bobby269 wrote:Resmed suggests using this method to clean your hose. http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/ ... lo_eng.pdf
Those are the multipatient cleaning guidelines. I think I read somewhere that you might get a limited number of cleaning cycles with that.

Single patient guidelines are here:

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... lo_eng.pdf

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:06 pm

SleepingBearDoNtWake wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about what the average life span of a heated hose for the resmed S9 would be?
I doubt that anyone knows what the average life span is, but mine is 31 months old and still running fine

Cheers,

Bill B.