Decreased quality of Swift FX pillows = Poor sleep quality

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cubism_dream

Decreased quality of Swift FX pillows = Poor sleep quality

Post by cubism_dream » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:48 am

For about two months now, I've been experiencing poor sleep quality. My AHI remains under 2.0 during this time, but I've noticed that the leak rate has been constantly high. I wake up groggy and don't feel rested, but I'm able to function as the day progresses. I am quite sure that these inconsistencies are due to air leakage from the nasal pillows.

Is anyone else having sealing issues with their Swift FX pillows? My DME allows 6 pillows every 3 months, so that means I'm able to change my pillows once every two weeks. However, for the past 2-3 weeks, the pillows from my latest shipment do not seal well at all. I feel that ResMed is making products of lesser quality or durability to increase their profit margins. I also feel that I have to start using Lansinoh or something similar to maintain a seal, even with newly replaced pillows. I don't have any Lansinoh on hand, is there anything else I can use or do to make sure the pillows seal?

ozze_dollar

Re: Decreased quality of Swift FX pillows = Poor sleep quality

Post by ozze_dollar » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 am

There is something wrong if you are replacing your pillows every two weeks and you are still not happy. I can make mine last for at least 3 months.Perhaps review the size you are using.

emeraude

Post by emeraude » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:43 am

I manage to get about 2 1/2 months out a set of pillows before they needed changing. The material looks and feels the same from separate batches I have bought from different sellers in the last few months. As ozze_dollar mentioned, it could be the size.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:07 am

Although women are warned to avoid skin care products in contact with silicone (like moisturizing night cream)
we often forget that men may use an oil or alcohol-containing skin care product. (after-shave, etc.)
Either oil or alcohol may degrade the silicone. In fact, natural skin secretions may also present a problem.
I have found using an unscented baby wipe on my face right before bed makes silicone stick better.

cubism_dream

Post by cubism_dream » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:00 am

I'm already using the XS pillow size, so I'll have to try other options. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'll have to re-examine all of my settings and headgear adjustments. I find it challenging to adjust my straps to be comfortable enough to keep the pillows in place but loose enough to avoid nasal irritation. Thanks for the tip, chunkyfrog, I'll start cleansing my face before bedtime. Hopefully, that will help. I'll keep y'all posted!

bailachel

Post by bailachel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:31 am

maybe the pillows are too small so the air is leaking around the edges? Have you tried S instead of XS?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:48 am

Note: the nostril opening sits lightly on top of the cone-shaped part of the nasal pillow.
Only the tip cannot be seen. You should be able to see the entire 'shoulder' of the pillow below your nostril.
Air pressure should cause the pillow to inflate upward, pressing gently onto (not into) your nostril.
You do not want to get a 'piggy' nose effect--that's too tight!
Sometimes a tiny smear of Lansinoh around the inside rim of your nostrils will create a tacky surface
to help with your seal. I wear the small pillows with my Swift FX.

lorraineg57

Post by lorraineg57 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:11 pm

cubism_dream wrote:I'm already using the XS pillow size, so I'll have to try other options. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'll have to re-examine all of my settings and headgear adjustments. I find it challenging to adjust my straps to be comfortable enough to keep the pillows in place but loose enough to avoid nasal irritation. Thanks for the tip, chunkyfrog, I'll start cleansing my face before bedtime. Hopefully, that will help. I'll keep y'all posted!
Chunkyfrog has good input here. I was using the SM and having leakage issues and it felt like the tip of the cone was hitting the insides of my nostrils. I went down a size to XS and it is so much better. Leakage went way down. Make sure the fit is loose like Chunkyfrog said, I had both sizes way too tight to start. With the fit looser, the pillows just kind of float under my nose, very minimal actual contact. I'm barely aware of the pillows. I think too tight actually causes leakage just like too loose can.

mnfe

Post by mnfe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:13 pm

I've also noticed a difference if my face isn't clean. The pillows tend to slip around more. I typically replace mine once a month, but I can get more out of them if I need to. I went up a size and noticed a lot of difference (for the better). If you have the Smalls, maybe give it a try for a night and loosen your head gear a bit?

lorraineg57

Post by lorraineg57 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:36 pm

mnfe wrote:I've also noticed a difference if my face isn't clean. The pillows tend to slip around more. I typically replace mine once a month, but I can get more out of them if I need to. I went up a size and noticed a lot of difference (for the better). If you have the Smalls, maybe give it a try for a night and loosen your head gear a bit?
I liked the amount of airflow with the larger pillows (SM for me) but the actual cone part that the opening is on was too big I think. Had to keep fussing with it to get it situated in my nose, I could feel it touching the inside of my nose. I don't even notice the XS and my leaks went way down.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Is a leak really bad?
When I first went on the machine, my doctor sent me to SleepMed where the tech set me up with a ResMed Autoset with FX pillows. I didn't know anything about leaks at the time, but I could hear air escaping from the pillows. It made the CPAP experience tolerable for me, as I could easily breath, and the tech told me that a small leak was nothing to be concerned about. I try to get a good seal, basically to keep the air noise down, however, even with a leak, I no longer snore, and the doctor is pleased with my numbers. So I just don't worry about it.

Last edited by JeffL on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:37 pm

JeffL wrote:Is a leak really bad?
It depends....depends on how much leak and how long it lasts.
A huge leak that lasts maybe 5 minutes...not a big deal.
A huge leak that lasts half the time you are asleep...that's a problem.
This is why we evaluate the leaks with software.

Finally...any leak that disturbs sleep needs to be fixed even if it is small leak. Not because it might impact therapy pressure but because it disturbs sleep.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cubism_dream

Post by cubism_dream » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 pm

I started my CPAP therapy a year ago and have been using the Swift FX XS-size pillows for 10-11 months, as I've started treatment with the Mirage FX nasal mask but moved on to the nasal pillows. I'll have to contact my DME to try out a larger pillow since they've only issued XS's for my current supply. Only until recently, I've been having problems with maintaining a proper seal. I should note that the inside of my nostrils feel more oily than usual, which is unusual. I'll have to swab down my nostrils tonight to see if that helps...

Loosening the straps for last night lowered the leak rate, but I still feel that the pillows aren't secure enough to withstand a night's sleep. I feel like I have to re-train myself on how to setup my pillows. It's also challenging when memory lapses from lack of quality sleep prevents me from remembering to re-adjust my gear. Thanks for all the input, everyone! Wish me luck for tonight...

-CD