Nasal pillow mask but leaking air out mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
satsumass

Nasal pillow mask but leaking air out mouth

Post by satsumass » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Hey guys,

I have a nasal pillow mask, but use relatively high pressures on my System One CLFEX CPAP 17.5cm. I find that the nasal pillows eliminate leaks less than the full face mask quattro fx that i had used succesfully before at lower pressure, the only problem is that i leak air through my mouth, as evidenced by the leak graphs, my AHI and subjective feeling, and my dry mouth. My doctor prescribed a "rugby style" face mask which I use and cinch pretty tightly, and while it provides tension, I still feel my mouth puff up and my lips poof out...not sure if this is just becuase pressure is so high or what. Is there anything I can do? What about mouth tape? Is that an option? What kind do people use and where can I buy and do I need a prescription?

I find that my mouth leaks seem to be less at 17.5 and AHI lower, but I do need a higher pressure of 18 to hit all the apnea events, but at that high pressure, the increased leak reduces effectiveness so AHI ends up being higher still. And CPAP used to work just a few months ago when I weighed less, so I'm trying to lose weight but its tough.

ozze_dollar

Re: Nasal pillow mask but leaking air out mouth

Post by ozze_dollar » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Well of course you could try a chin strap.
I manage to use the aloha mask without a strap but its not perfect as sometimes I can tell my mouth has opened.
I know what you mean about losing weight,its hard.

archangle

Re: Nasal pillow mask but leaking air out mouth

Post by archangle » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Remember that the idea is to seal the air pressure at the back of your mouth with the back of your tongue, not to seal the pressure with your lips. Try pressing the tongue up against the roof of your mouth at the front as you go asleep, and sometimes this will help you learn to seal up at night.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Woodgod

Teeth hurt

Post by Woodgod » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:59 pm

That's funny you say describe it to him that way, I believe that's what I do, because sometimes when I wake my teeth hurt from my tounge pressing up against them all night. Is this how it's supposed to work..

Woodgod

Teeth hurt

Post by Woodgod » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm

That's funny you say describe it to him that way, I believe that's what I do, because sometimes when I wake my teeth hurt from my tounge pressing up against them all night. Is this how it's supposed to work..