cataract surgery and cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Elle

cataract surgery and cpap

Post by Elle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:11 am

I am scheduled to have cataract surgery in both eyes (one week apart) in November and am worrying in advance about air leaking from my mask into my eyes. I tend to really sleep heavily and miss leaks. I wonder if anyone else has experience with this type of surgery and can report how it went or whether cpap made a difference with recovery?

Bobby269

Re: cataract surgery and cpap

Post by Bobby269 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:43 am

My wife recently had that kind of surgery. I asked her Doctor? if I being a hose head using a full face mask would have a problem. He said no.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 am

I might ask the doctor if I could try a pair of these.
http://www.dryeyeshop.com/post-lasik-goggle-p232.aspx

joelrk35

Post by joelrk35 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:31 pm

I had both eyes done 6 months ago (2 weeks appart) with no problems. I use a RespCare Hybrid mask which gave me no problems as it gave me enough clearance for the plastic shield I had to use for 3 days after each surgery. I also use a Quatro FX which I tried on to find out which one was a better in avoiding the plastic shield. The FX pressed against the shield so I couldn't use it. Ask your doctor for the shield he will provide and try it with the mask you normally use. By the way the surgery is a snap and now I have eagle eyes so I can follow my golf ball and don't have to ask my golf buddies where my ball went. Good luck with your surgery.

Additional Comments: ClimateLine Heated hose, Sleepyhead software
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
ResMed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask

Elle

Post by Elle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks guys. This makes me less nervous.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:17 pm

I had both eyes done this past summer.
I was also given a plastic shield to ware over my eye while sleeping. (had nothing to do with CPAP). I can't remember for sure, but I think the shield was taped on. Also think it fell off one night. I don't think leaking air would hurt it anyway.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Interesting. I have been advised that i have cataracts in both eyes. I am told I dont need to do anything yet but probably in about 3 years they will need to be operated on.

Three years...who knows what will happen by then.

Elle

Post by Elle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:26 pm

I was told last year that it would probably be 7 years before needing surgery and now this week have been told I should get it done. I am not pleased and may chicken out.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Elle wrote:I was told last year that it would probably be 7 years before needing surgery and now this week have been told I should get it done. I am not pleased and may chicken out.
I also have been advised the operation is very routine these days...get it done go on.

Elle

Post by Elle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:39 pm

I guess I just have to get used to being old. I went for a routine exam and came out with surgery booked. I also thought that cataracts were 'scraped off' my eyes but they actually remove the lenses and replace them with fake ones. At first the doc told me I would see great after surgery without glasses but then an astigmatism was discovered so I will likely still need the glasses.

I think I am just afraid that my nerves won't allow me to lie still for the 15 minutes it takes to get the job done and then trying to deal with cpap masks added to the stress. I do know though that everything turns out in the end and fear and anticipation is a waste of energy. *sigh*

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 pm

I had one eye done last week, second eye next week.

What's this "getting old" business? Plenty of young folks would give their eye teeth for 15 minutes of surgery to come out with 20/20 vision, or close to it! And if you are "old" enough, Medicare pays. Plus they pay for your next pair of glasses if you even need them.

I was told to take a Xanax 30 minutes before arrival at the clinic and then had very light sedation. Piece of cake!! My DH watched the whole thing on a tv screen. I don't remember much but couldn't have been under sedation for more than 15 minutes. They also corrected astigmatism at the same time with a couple of tiny slits. The old lens was emulsified in minutes and the new one put in place even quicker. The incision is super tiny.

Cpap has been no problem. Along with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops they gave me drops for dry eyes. Just use the dry eye drops, if recommended. I didn't have a patch or shield or anything. As a matter if fact, DH and I went to a movie the same afternoon. No pain. My eye just felt a bit gritty that day.

Now if you needed this surgery 40 years ago it would have been a different story. You would have had many days of lying flat in bed in the hospital with sand bags holding your head in place. And then very poor vision with glasses thick as coke bottles after.

I'd say "go for it" and be grateful that you will be given vision that many people can only dream of. In third world countries cataracts are a leading cause of blindness. Take advantage of this gift that is being offered to you!

joelrk35

Post by joelrk35 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:49 am

I don't know if your doctor informed you that your distance vision will be 20/20 or close, but you will probably need reading glasses as I do for small print i.e. newspapers. I opted for two different lenses. The one in my right eye gives me 20/20 vision. The left was adjusted to give me 20/40 vision which allows me to read nearly everything but very small print. This is not for everyone and my Doctor gave me the choice and said that about 50% of his patients choose this approach. That being said I still have reading glasses all over the house to use when necessary. I waited for surgery until I was told I wouldn't pass my next eye exam for a drivers license. Looking back I should of had the surgery sooner. Don't stress over the surgery as they sedate you and it only takes 15 to 20 minutes and there is no pain.

Additional Comments: ClimateLine Heated hose, Sleepyhead software
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
ResMed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask

Elle

Post by Elle » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for the replies. It really does help. I knew this was the place to come.

I am in Canada and will have 20/20 vision but for the astigmatism I would have to pay quite a bit for the different lens. Since I am ok wearing glasses and as mentioned above will need them for reading anyway I am going with the regular lens option.

I have panic disorder so I worry that I will get on the table and lose it. I once jumped off the table about to slide me into an MRI machine. Reading these responses make me feel a bit more at ease.

I was told that it gets harder to do the surgery the longer you wait so I guess going for it now is the best. I am 65 but seem to be in denial that I am aging and so I resist these changes.

Thanks again for your help.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:56 am

My neighbour had both eyes done and shes 90. She is in way better shape than me..at 20 years older
You will come out of the surgery wondering why you were in such a panic in the first place.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Elle

Post by Elle » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks Nan, I tend to worry in advance and then wonder why. I am relieved to hear that cpap won't be affected because I really do depend on it. I was in emergency twice over the last two years and had a real hard time sleeping without it. I LOVE my cpap.