Most Comfortable Hybrid Mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yamar2001

Most Comfortable Hybrid Mask?

Post by yamar2001 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:13 pm

I've been using the Swift Nasal Pillow with chin guard since I was diagnosed about four years ago. I think I want to switch over to a hybrid mask. For reasons I won't get into (I have on this site in the past, but I don't want the point of the thread to be missed) I no longer have support from my insurance company so I need to pick out a mask that I will like...otherwise it's alot of wasted money.

I know cpap.com will give let me return it if I don't like it, they charge a set amount for each mask, and that amount of based upon how many folks return it. Or I could go to the local medical supply office and they could help me get the fittings correct etc... but I would not be able to return the mask no matter what.

Who uses a hybrid and how do you like it? I'm tired of wearing the chin guard, and getting zits on my face etc. I also wake up with my mouth completely dry a fair amount which leads me to believe I'm not getting as good of therapy as I could from another mask. Any advice is appreciated.

Opus Nasal Pillow
s
Machine is on auto
Min Pressure 7 Max Pressure 13

Not using any external software but I do look at my machines data frequently.
My apneas per hr are under 4.5 and have been for sometime now.

yamar2001

Re: Most Comfortable Hybrid Mask?

Post by yamar2001 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:15 pm

wanted to point out that I use less pressure than many cpap users. I've heard the main complaint surrounding full face masks/hybrids is leaky masks...I would imagine having a lower setting would alleviate some of those concerns. Most of my apneas are treated with a pressure of 7, and I believe the highest my machine ever has to go is a 10.

Thanks!

Opus Nasal Pillow
s
Machine is on auto

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 am

What I am about to say is perhaps not what you will most like to hear, but I feel duty-bound to say it anyway.

The most comfortable hybrid mask is the one that fits your face. There is just no way to generalize.

I have tried both the Innomed Hybrid and the Mirage Liberty. I *hated* the Innomed, and the Liberty is almost creepily perfect for me. But I can name ten people on the forum who've had the exact opposite experience.

I will say this: the Innomed is MUCH cheaper than the Liberty, so if you have nothing else to go on, might be best to start with that one. If it doesn't work, you are at least not out as much money. The Innomed also comes with all the sizes of mouth frame (and the Mirage Liberty does not), so that is another reason to give it a go. But fair warning: it did not fit my face at all, and I couldn't even get through a single night with it. The mask battle is so individual.

Best of luck to you. I love not fussing with chin straps, and not worrying about leaks on the bridge of my nose. These hybrid masks are pretty genius, in my humble opinion!

yamar2001

Post by yamar2001 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:42 am

thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

I too am tired of the chin strap... it's just annoying as hell. I have a bit of a different approach than some people with it too: I was opening my mouth a ton at the beginning, so I started wearing the chin strap pretty darn tight... alot tighter than most folks would. It works this way alot better..but it's really uncomfortable and they stretch and need to be replaced every few months. They aren't *terribly* expensive, but spending $25 every other month is irritating.

Will take a peek to see the prices on the masks you've listed. I've heard someone else mention the Liberty and said it worked very well for them... but like you said, this is an individual to individual situation.

My other option would be order the Liberty (expensive one) through cpap.com, and just return it if it didn't work. I would imagine this would cost me $20-$40 dollars, and then I suppose buy the cheaper mask at my local medical supply store... they however won't take anything back. Again thanks for your response.

Opus Nasal Pillow
s
Machine is on auto

yamar2001

Post by yamar2001 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:45 am

is this the Innomed you tried?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/RespCa ... -Mask.html

I'm seeing $116 for that one, and then $207 for the Mirage Liberty.

Opus Nasal Pillow
s
Machine is on auto

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 am

yamar2001 wrote:is this the Innomed you tried?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/RespCar ... -Mask.html

I'm seeing $116 for that one, and then $207 for the Mirage Liberty.
That would be it. Innomed/Respcare Hybrid vs the Mirage Liberty which is also a Hybrid.
Return insurance on the Innomed/Respcare Hybrid is around $53.
Return insurance on the Liberty is around $48.

There are hybrid users who love the Innomed/Respcare and hate the Liberty and of course there are those who love the Liberty and hate the Innomed. Just like any other mask out there.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 am

Yup the Respcare Hybrid is the one I swear by. It comes with 3 sets fof pillows and cushions, plus you can adjust the height of the pillows if needed. I like it so much i have 3 of them in my stash. I will not buy anything resmed, they think they can dictate what patients and suppliers can or cannot do....BULLIES
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:14 am

I have used both hybrid masks - both are pretty equal IMHO - comfort, leaks etc. The advantage the Innomed has over the Resmed is the built-in chinstrap if you need one.

I own the Resmed one but haven't used it since just after Dx - preferring minimal masks like nasal pillows and SleepWeaver.

Cheers,
xena

yamar2001

Post by yamar2001 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 am

wow so many replies. You guys are amazing (shocker...you've been this responsive everytime I've had a question!)

Why would someone need a chin strap if they have the hybrid? I would think you still get therapy even if your mouth is open, as long as air is being pushed down your throat as well?

At this point, I want the least amount of mask possible.. if that makes any sense. Again, you guys rock

Opus Nasal Pillow
s
Machine is on auto

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 am

yamar2001 wrote:wow so many replies. You guys are amazing (shocker...you've been this responsive everytime I've had a question!)

Why would someone need a chin strap if they have the hybrid? I would think you still get therapy even if your mouth is open, as long as air is being pushed down your throat as well?

At this point, I want the least amount of mask possible.. if that makes any sense. Again, you guys rock

It has a chin flap not strap. And yes it is considedred a ffm for those that mouth breathe
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 am

Even with the Hybrid you can get dry mouth. Caused by your mouth not staying closed.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 pm

If the Resmed full face masks fit you, the Liberty fits about the same.
I have either too much cheekbone or not enough chin to wear a Resmed product.
The Innomed tends to hug the cheeks more, and the pillows are stiffer, but adjustable.

yamar2001

Post by yamar2001 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Bobby269 wrote:Even with the Hybrid you can get dry mouth. Caused by your mouth not staying closed.

I don't mind dry mouth, I just don't like waking up and thinking, "I haven't been getting therapy..." which is the case with the nasal pillows.
chunkyfrog wrote:If the Resmed full face masks fit you, the Liberty fits about the same.
I have either too much cheekbone or not enough chin to wear a Resmed product.
The Innomed tends to hug the cheeks more, and the pillows are stiffer, but adjustable.
I have a rather large face...despite not being overweight at all.

I may try the cheaper one, and return it if it doesn't work. Truthfully I don't mind spending the extra $75 if the Liberty is a better mask but it seems like it really depends on the individual.

Opus Nasal Pillow
s
Machine is on auto

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 pm

I use a the Hybrid too. NanWilson turned me on to it. However, I'll respond either tomorrow if I have time or Thursday.
Again, just love it.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:06 am

This might be a long shot, but you might try posting your general location and see if anybody nearby has either mask and would be willing to let you try it on.

I have a few friends who have sleep apnea, but are not getting treatment. One won't go through with the sleep study, and one didn't make compliance due to being given one mask and no help. I tried to help both move forward by giving them a short demo with my machine. I even took my masks with me so that they could see the different styles available and try them on if they wanted to. If you were near me, I would let you try my Liberty hybrid. Even overnight to see if it worked for you. I can always wash it, and I don't use it every night. If you could at least try them on with a machine running, you would have an idea whether it would be a good choice to buy.

I got lucky as my sleep tech started me with a quattro fx, and it was comfortable with no leaks during the study. So, I got one with my machine. A month later, I added the Liberty. Both masks work well for me, though I prefer the quattro fx. I like knowing that I have a second mask available. I have never tried any other masks, so I have no experience to compare them to other masks.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?