SO FRUSTRATED I NEED HELP PLEASE!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Peacenana

SO FRUSTRATED I NEED HELP PLEASE!

Post by Peacenana » Sun May 31, 2020 12:54 pm

Thank you for the good advice I have received on this forum over the past 8 months or so that I have been on cpap therapy.
I have some problems I can't seem to solve. Biggest problem is that I can't get my doctor to call back! Adapt Health, the company that provides the supplies, has tried to help. They gave me a replacement machine and replacement mask since March, but nothing seems to help.
Problem 1: the sound of air rushing through the tubes (frame) despite my wearing ear plugs and using white noise machine. I sort of got used to this but then
Problem 2: other sounds I've described as squeaky started to wake me. Could these be snores?? I see that my vibratory snore index seems a little higher - or am I reading that wrong?
Problem 2: especially toward early morning, I wake with this sense of too much air blowing into my nose. My nose feels cold, too, though I have a heated humidifier.
Problem 3: My ahi has been slowly creeping up. Not high, but high for me. I feel much more tired when my ahi is, say, 3, than when it's 1, which is where it was for many months. AM I IMAGINING THIS?
I am attaching OSCAR data from last night. I have read on this forum that often a user has to adjust their own pressure. I have never done this but am willing. I am giving up on getting help from my doctor.
Quick question: why are there two lines for Leak Rate? My machine read mask fit of 98% last night. It is generally 100%.
SO CONFUSED AND FRUSTRATED!! I have benefited so much from cpap therapy but lately I am tempted to give up. please help. IS THIS ALL IN MY HEAD??
THANKS
Attachments
screenshot-20200531-141338.png
screenshot-20200531-141338.png (522 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

Dog Slobber

Re: SO FRUSTRATED I NEED HELP PLEASE!

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun May 31, 2020 1:37 pm

Peacenana wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:54 pm
Quick question: why are there two lines for Leak Rate? My machine read mask fit of 98% last night. It is generally 100%.
With Respironics your machine can report two leak values.

Total Leak and Excessive Leak.

Remember, all masks vent, this is a form of leak known as Intentional Leak.

Total Leak = Intentional (venting) + excessive (non-intentional, mask seals,...)

The top line is your total leak, the bottom line is excessive leak, the difference being intentional leak. We like that to be small enough so as not to appear on the graphs.

I'm not sure on DreamStations, how much excessive leaking one can have before it starts to become an issue.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun May 31, 2020 2:14 pm

Peacenana wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:54 pm
Problem 2: other sounds I've described as squeaky started to wake me. Could these be snores?? I see that my vibratory snore index seems a little higher - or am I reading that wrong?
I can not say for sure. Just something I noticed when napping with my P10.
I would wake up from a high pitched noise and noticed that I was leaking air out of my mouth.
Not much, just enough to make noise. (would not show up on my machine as a large leak)

Mouth breathing is the reason I had to give up on Pillow Masks. I now use a F30i (Full Face) and am happy with the results.
I still use the P10 for naps. :wink:

Just something to look and think at. :D

Keep at it. It is worth it when you get it all lined out.

JPB

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun May 31, 2020 4:33 pm

Problem 1: the sound of air rushing through the tubes (frame) despite my wearing ear plugs and using white noise machine. I sort of got used to this but then
Ear plugs can magnify conducted noises--try without and see if it's any better. Or try with just one ear plug. Strangely, that sometimes works.

If the sound of air rushing through the tubes bothers you, what about a mask that does not have air rushing through the tubes? Most nasal pillow masks do not.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sun May 31, 2020 4:55 pm

As to the cold nose it would probably help if you used a heated hose as well as the heated humidifier. It worked for me.

P.S. I don't think any of this is in your head.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun May 31, 2020 5:48 pm

What are the chances you can switch to a Resmed like the 10 autoset for her model? The D-Station has been known to annoy people with all its pulses and noise, etc... but algorithm's different from Resmed so you'd need to take that into acct if you do switch.

Peacenana

Post by Peacenana » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:16 am

Hi, and thanks, everyone.
Julie or anyone,
Is the Resmed you mentioned a cpap machine or a mask?
My doctor wants to order me another Dreamstation but this would be the third Dreamstation (same model) I've had in eight months, the second one only in March. I've also noticed less comfort in general in breathing, whereas I used to feel good once my mask went on (a relief) but now it's a relief when I shut off the machine and take off my mask. I feel like I can get a full breath when they are off.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:05 am

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset - very much 'a machine' and likely the best around right now. Another version of it - same name but with 'For Her' added at end is even a bit better and is not just 'for her', not the smartest naming choice they could have made (it also may be pink :roll: ).

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:25 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:05 am
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset - very much 'a machine' and likely the best around right now. Another version of it - same name but with 'For Her' added at end is even a bit better and is not just 'for her', not the smartest naming choice they could have made (it also may be pink :roll: ).
I think you can get different colors now. At least when I last looked I saw a choice of colors...

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:44 am

I hope you will insist on the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her. ResMed's algorithms are more likely to help you with your hypopneas and flow limitations, which may well give you a better night's sleep. Once you get it, people here can help you set it up and fine-tune your settings, which may need to be a little different from the ones you've been using with the PR machine.

Finding the mask that will work for you feels sometimes like one of those never-ending quests. I have to say I was very bothered by the sound of air moving through the sides of the Dreamwear-type masks. The squeaking sounds might be caused by friction on the hose. VS2 can reflect that and other random, non-snore noises.

I switched from a white noise machine to one that makes pink and brown noise (lower pitches than white noise). Turns out brown noise is what works best for me.

And finally, no, none of this is in your head! You have some practical problems to solve, and many people here will be happy to help you. First step, new ResMed machine!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:50 am

khauser wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:25 am
Julie wrote:
I think you can get different colors now. At least when I last looked I saw a choice of colors...
Please!
Show us WHERE.
Note: all airsense 10 machines have a removable faceplate
that can be cleaned or decorated safely away from the machine.

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:45 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:50 am
khauser wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:25 am
Julie wrote:
Please!
Show us WHERE.
Note: all airsense 10 machines have a removable faceplate
that can be cleaned or decorated safely away from the machine.
Where did I see it? I would SWEAR it was on CPAP.COM, but I do not see it there now. I remember being prompted for choice of faceplate color, which I see (on another site) is not the same as the full machine color.

But it DOES look to me like the Autoset 10 for her is more towards White than Pink, especially compared to the S9.

Maybe Resmed will get it right next machine....

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:24 pm

Peacenana
I too used a PR machine for years, although mine was the 60 series. I now have (thanks to LSAT and Pugsy) a Resmed autoset, believe me the sound is WAY different than on the PR. My PR kinda made a grinding sound that drove me nuts, and I am deaf in one ear :shock: . My new autoset is totally SILENT and I had no problem going from one to the other right away. I would recommend a Resmed machine over a PR in a heart beat :wink:

Cheers and good luck
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:41 pm

Google cpap skins. They are press on, peel off coverings for machines.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Peacenana

Post by Peacenana » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:21 pm

I am in tears reading these great suggestions! Thank you so much! My doctor wanted to order me another DreamStation but I just talked to the respiratory therapist at the supplier and he is going to see if I can get a ResMed Airsense 10. I have been so tired and I guess it all caught up to me. I've been struggling with this problem plus dry mouth plus climbing AHI for months now and don't know what I would do without all of you. All I know is that I have been feeling more and more exhausted since these problems began about three months ago despite having felt much better in the first six months or so of my cpap therapy. I will let you know if I get approval for the ResMed.
Bless you!