OT -- does anyone know anything about heart attacks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ephraimh

OT -- does anyone know anything about heart attacks?

Post by ephraimh » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:47 pm

<t>I had a mild one Thurs at about 9:45 am. My chest started to hurt right above the sturnem up to the throat. It was not the “elephant-on- the-chest pain that I’ve heard them described as but it sure as heck hurt. I started to use some expletives. I took a full-size adult aspirin and called 9-1-1. <br/>
<br/>
Fire dept came in a few minutes – station is 3 blocks away --and said the ekg results and my description were consistent with an “evolving heart attack.” They took me to the hospital. The right coronary artery was 100% occluded, the left was 80%. They put 2 stents in the right one The doctor said after something like this they want 50% ejection and mine is now 40%. They put me on a blood thinner and Lipitor and sent me home Sat at about 10:30 AM<br/>
<br/>
The left one will be dealt with but has to wait for a little while unless something goes very wrong. MY HMO has the results from just two weeks ago and cardiology isn’t scheduling face-to-face appts because of COVID-19 unless they’re absolutely necessary <br/>
<br/>
Physically I feel fine but there’s a strange emotional feeling of being slightly empty or hollow. I always thought these things happened to old people. I guess that at 65 I really am getting to be one.</t>

Julie

Re: OT -- does anyone know anything about heart attacks?

Post by Julie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:25 pm

Don't know if it helps, but people a lot younger have MI's and go on to have quite normal lives after treatment... really they do. And if doctors feel you can wait then just take it easy, follow their instructions and things will work out. I know that's all trite, but while it probably seems like the end of the world to you, it doesn't have to be, really not... it's just that in past years (many) before there were stents, etc., people either lived (luckily, genetically) to old age and then just died, or they died at a younger age because there were no good answers... now the answers are out there and so many have been 'fixed' because of them, so if talking to e.g. a professional might help you feel better, don't be shy about asking, but if not, then accept that you've had a good scare but help is on the way, probably sooner than you realize now that 'curves are flattening' and all that. Make plans for the future - lists, details, all of it, because I'm sure you'll have a long one.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Wow, what an experience you've had. I'm sure you're feeling shaken by the whole thing. I certainly would be! I'm glad you got medical attention so quickly, and I'm glad you had the presence of mind to take an aspirin. As Julie says, be a completely compliant patient. And do follow up actively with your medical people, take good notes about diagnosis/treatment/questions/answers, and review your habits to see whether they are all supporting your future health.

All my best wishes.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

roadcycler

Post by roadcycler » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:03 pm

Had my first when I was 56. I was out on my roadbike doing hills had some chest pain but thought it was just my asthma acting up. Got home and ignored it. Wife dragged me to the doc 2 months later on an "excuse" Doc sent me for an ECG which confirmed that I had one. Had an angiogram 3 months later and they wouldn't let me leave the hospital and had a quadruple 2 days later. That empty feeling will go away with time as you come to grips with the mortality, reduced capacity and getting older issues. Don't let the empty feeling take over. That was 4 years ago and back on my bike, kayak walking 8km per day and yes some days its screw it and stay on the couch, but those days are getting fewer and farther inbetween.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:54 pm

Congrats on getting good quick care! There is often an emotional impact to the event, the treatment, and wrapping one's head around it all. You should be getting further info from your team soon:
"Your physician will make a plan for preventing another heart attack. But it’s you who must carry it out. . . . It is extremely important to understand that how you live your life and manage your risk factors going forward will impact what happens to you next."--https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what ... al-or-not/
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:12 am

Don't know much about heart attacks except for my acquaintances who have had one are still kicking many years later. Wish I knew enough to know if one could possibly actually feel a physical difference since things have changed inside. I mean, maybe it's not all emotional? Anyone know the answer to that?

I'd like to borrow the advice to plan for the future. I'm having a hard time being motivated to put out tomato plants because of the nagging thought of possibly not being here to reap the harvest. (Living in a small apartment with 6 others and knowing it will be a miracle if I manage to avoid the big virus.) But I'm feeling like I'm going to go ahead and plant those plants. Good luck going forward.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:45 am

I haven't had a heart attack, but my curiosity has compelled me to ask friends who have had one what was it like. I remember my dad had "issues" after he had a triple bypass. He was also questioning his mortality and seemed to have issues. I think it is normal. It is tough getting old and having to deal with your body breaking down. We all deal with it in a different way. Though for the last twenty years, I have had an active prayer life, I have been able to deal with my mortality with increasing my prayer. Praying is easy, but increasing my prayer life and my relationship with Christ is one of the hardest things (but rewarding) I have ever done.

Sheriff

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 am

Unfortunately, this is a shortfall of telemedicine. Cardiac function needs to evaluated with a monitoring device. It might be possible to ship you a device, but it doesn't sound like that's what happened.

My cardiologist said to come back in five years, which are up next year. If the epidemic is still on next year, I'll wait till the following year.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:33 am

I've had 3 minor ones starting about age 56. Haven't had a problem since. My scare was that my Dad, Grandfather and Uncle (Dad's brother) all had massive heart attacks in their early fifties and passed away. Damned if I was the one that had to inherit the heart problems, but times and care have changed, they know so much more today than they did back then. Also fortunately for me, I live in a small town and the fire department and the hospital are both 2 minutes away... Yay for small towns. I have to keep getting tested, just in case, but I am in good hands and have made it to age 78 without anymore large problems.
Follow your doctors instructions and fortunately you will do okay and live to a ripe old age. Good luck!

Stay safe
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:50 pm

Bless you, I regret that you have had to experience this. I have experienced a pacemaker implant for AFIB, though I've never (YET) had a heart attack as such. My own event w caught me by total surprise. Any upset to our heart is scary. I shall pray that you do well, and I second the related comments from The Sheriff Buford!!

TheDuke

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Thanks so much for telling us about this. If nobody has identified a similar sensation of hollowness after a heart attack, well, now we have some anecdotal evidence. Perhaps if enough people identify with a similar situation, a study of some sort could be done, though at this moment, I'm not sure how. Just glad you were quick enough to recognize the signs and are here to tell the tale.

Chris

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:20 pm

ephraimh wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:47 pm
a strange emotional feeling of being slightly empty or hollow
Emotional distress after heart attacks is very common. There have been many studies on this subject - https://www.google.com/search?q=nih+emo ... .22171j0j4

One of our family friends had a heart attack at 66 and lived until he was 91. (At 91, fell off a ladder while doing some repair work at home, hit his head, and died from a brain bleed. :( )

We had a cousin who had a heart attack about thirty years ago. Gramps was in the hospital room when the doc told him that he had good news. "45% of your heart muscle is undamaged." This was good news. Cousin is in his mid-seventies now and very active.

There are a lot of stories about people having heart attacks and living an active life for years. But, don't ignore the emotional aspects. Tell your doctor about it. She may have some good suggestions.

Prayers for your complete recovery.