New machine (Airsense 10 for Her) -- HELP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
the_nap_ster

New machine (Airsense 10 for Her) -- HELP?

Post by the_nap_ster » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:07 am

Hi all,

I haven't been around here for years, since everything was going beautifully and I was sleeping like a baby. And then my S9 started to act buggy, so I picked up a S10 for Her as a replacement. I programmed it to match my S9 exactly, and I have all the same accessories (climateline hose, in particular). Then, I put on the exact same Mirage Liberty mask that I had worn with no problems the night before, and went to sleep.

Worst night ever.

First, I had a super-rough time getting a seal on my mask (the mask that sealed perfectly with my S9). I had farting noises on and off all night. I also had rainout at the same low humidity setting (69) that I always use and never get rainout. The apap pressure changes were super fast and distracting, so halfway through the night I turned off the "for her" setting and went with the regular autoset algorithm, thinking that would be better. Nope. And then woke up and looked at the data -- my mask was leaking all night.

So what happened? Has anyone had a tried-and-true mask not work with a new machine? Any suggestions on what to tweak to get back to my blissful sleep? I'm going to go grab my old busted S9 and take a nap.

ChicagoGranny

Re: New machine (Airsense 10 for Her) -- HELP?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:43 am

the_nap_ster wrote:tried-and-true mask not work with a new machine
Curious case. I don't know the answer, but I am thinking about hose management. Did you place the new machine in a different position than the old machine? Does your hose attach to the new machine in the same position, vis-à-vis your face, as the old machine? Does the hose run to the mask in the same position?

You want to position and manage the hose so that it is not pulling on the mask. If the hose pulls on the mask, it can cause unintentional leak.
the_nap_ster wrote:I had farting noises on and off all night.
Maybe address the problem to a diet and nutrition forum?
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

LadyK

Post by LadyK » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Obviously there are some differences in how these machines function. I would not change masks or hoses, etc. Make an appointment with your DME provider and go over you issues and hopefully they will be able to help you set up your new machine to where you are not having these new difficulties. That's taking into account the you DME provider is well trained on the old and new equipment that you were/are using. ( Unfortunately, I finding that most DME providers only know how to use two or three different types of equipment.) Anyway, if you are not able to get your DME provider to help you with your new issues, it sound like you are going to have to start from the beginning and adjust your new machine a little here and a little there every night until you figure it out and get it right for you.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:01 pm

I also have an A10 for Her. I have no idea why your mask would leak more than with the $9,. A few settings to check to make sure they match your equipment: mask type (nasal, nasal pillows, etc.) and hose type (Slimline was the default on mine but I transferred a standard size hose). I don't use a heated hose, so I am no help there.

As to rainout, I found that the A10 is VERY sensitive to water levels in the humidifier tub. I overfilled by a smidgen over the maximum line one night and got rainout. Lesson learned. I underfill now. My prior PR System One humidifier was frequently overfilled, with no resulting rainout.

I use an APAP range. I found that, at least initially, my pressures used were lower than on my PR System One. I set it with the same pressure range (10-20). You might want to widen your pressure range a bit in case the A10 thinks you need lower or higher pressure than your previous S9's range.

How old is your mask? My Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask was 1.5 years old and the A10 registered large leaks until I replaced the headgear with a P10 for her version. I thought the old P10 was a great fit, but evidently the A10 did not.

I too switched from the Auto for her to regular Auto after the first night, among many other changes made after finding out how to get into the clinical menu, after a miserable first night. I don't know if it made a difference.

These are just a few ideas. I can tell you, that once i changed the settings (which my DME had set, some over my objections), my sleep with the A10 has generally been GREAT and I am very happy with the A10.

I did learn that a change of machine can make a huge difference (negative at first, then positive) until things are tweaked. I hope you figure out what will make your therapy with the A10 work lots better for you. Let us know. There are many A10 users here now and there will be many more new A10 users as time goes on, as the A10 is the latest Resmed machine. Don't expect the DME to be an expert on the A10 for Her. Mine had no clue what made it different from the regular A10 and thought it was merely an appearance difference.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

joelrk35

Post by joelrk35 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:17 pm

I have the ResMed AirSense 10 for her model. When I first got it I ran 1 month in the for her mode and then 1 month in regular mode. I found no measurable difference between modes. The first thing I would do is to go back into the Clinical Menu and double check that all your settings are correct for mask type, hose type, temperture & humidity, pressure range. Then change out your mask cushion/pillow. Check your data on SleepyHead and make sure there are no anomalies. If that doesn't help see your sleep doctor or DME.

Additional Comments: ClimateLine Heated hose, Sleepyhead software
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
ResMed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask