Need some help with snoring

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jaybee72

Need some help with snoring

Post by jaybee72 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Hello - I'm a fairly long time cpap user (almost 12 years) that read everything on here and was really up on the subject - back in 2007. I'm afraid I've slept since then, though, and I've forgotten a lot! So it has gone fairly well all this time, and there have only been a couple of nights in that time I didn't use it (sick or travelling). But, I seem to have entered a new phase - I never had any trouble with mouth leaks until the last 6 months. Now it seems to be a problem.

I'm waking up with a completely dry mouth, and I feel like I'm snoring. I also seem to be more tired during the day. Below is a sleepyhead report from last night. This morning my wife said that I snored loudly all night, and that she heard the cpap spooling up from time to time. I felt I had been snoring and I had a dry mouth again. So, I immediately hit the info button and found an AHI that didn't make much sense - 0.16. Yes, I know I could be lynched for coming on here with that AHI, but I don't think it's right. Also, another observation of late is that the pressure seems way less - and the Activa mask does not do the pulsing they are known for. So, I'm wondering if the flow generator is failing or something like that.

Anyway, here is the report for last night. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!
sleepyhead.PNG
sleepyhead.PNG (215.99 KiB) Viewed 421 times

LSAT

Re: Need some help with snoring

Post by LSAT » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:58 pm

My guess...mouth breathing. Report doesn't show much snoring

jaybee72

Post by jaybee72 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:07 am

Yes, I'm thinking mouth breathing - but it just seems like that would be more apparent on the report. Should mouth breathing show up as a large leak? Also, if my wife said I was snoring all night why did it not really register that? I'm partially wondering if my S9 is not functioning right and causing the issues? It has around 27,000 hours logged on it now.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 am

jaybee72 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:07 am
Should mouth breathing show up as a large leak?
People assume that all mouth automatically means a massive leak out the mouth but it's not always the case.
A while back I happened to wake up one morning mouth breathing....gently mouth breathing (with a dry mouth) but no massive exodus of air out the mouth. So I decided to continue with the mouth breathing just like I was doing so that I could definitely see what mouth breathing can look like on a the leak graph.

Below is the report with the known mouth breathing circled in red at the end of the night. A lot less exciting than I expected for sure.
I was awake the whole time...about 15 or 20 minutes before I finally turned the machine off because I was bored and had to get up to go to the bathroom.

So here's proof that not all mouth breathing means a massive leak. Now even just a little mouth breathing can dry out the mouth though.

As for wife reporting snoring sounds and not confirmed on the reports....I have no explanation for that unless with minor mouth breathing the sensors can't sense the snore vibrations well enough to record them or it's a really low level snore.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.