Switch from nasal mask to pillows = mouth leaking?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jaybee72

Switch from nasal mask to pillows = mouth leaking?

Post by jaybee72 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:16 pm

So, after 11 years of using an Activa nasal mask I decided to try the DreamWear nasal pillows. I really like this mask for many reasons, but I suddenly have a new problem - leaking through mouth. In 11 years this was never a problem, but now I am waking up with a completely dry mouth and throat. If I go back to the Activa the issue goes away. Any idea why this might be happening?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Switch from nasal mask to pillows = mouth leaking?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:33 am

Just a wild guess - The pressure of the lower straps of the Activa mask was a gently reminder to keep your mouth shut. (There are no straps in this position with the Dreamwear pillows.)

jaybee72

Post by jaybee72 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Nope - it appears that I am now going to have to figure out how to deal with mouth leaking after it never being an issue in 11 years. It’s happening more often, even when using the activa mask.

moonboots

Post by moonboots » Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 pm

I also went from full face mask to Nasal pillows and had lots of mouth leaks and dry mouth but I have found mouth taping works great