The three P's to success.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAP101

The three P's to success.

Post by CPAP101 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:38 am

PRACTICE
PATIENCE
PERSEVERANCE

Getting use to Life with CPAP isn't the easiest, but if you follow theses three simple steps it may be easier than you think. Working with CPAP's for now 11years and having one now myself has opened my eyes to CPAP more than I could of ever imagined. Like almost everyone we are "CREATURES OF HABIT". We have a routine that now is about to change and in some cases in a dramatic way. It is only human nature for us to resist change. So instead of trying to use it all night the first night, take some time to get to know your equipment. We are dealing with 4 elements that together create this CPAK we are now going to be sleeping with. PRACTICE is key!!!!!!! Tske the time to get to know your mask and take it easy the first few days so that your nose doesn't get to sore. This is a common side effect that many of us face due to the fact our face is not use to pressure so we have to ease ourself in to this so we don't get burned out. You ever see a guy walk in to gym, head for the bench press and max out, no way he will tear a muscle. He first warms up and then after a few minutes starts light and works his way up. We must practice in a similar way. I call it your "mask workout". Most units are compact and light and can be moved, i prefered the living room on my side table next to my chair. You know the one no one is allowed to sit in but me. We all have a place where its our thrown. So what I did was hook everything up and put my mask on while I was watching a show, sportscenter i sat there with the mask on, once a commercial came on I took it off and repeated the steps for 30min. What I found is that after each repetition it got a litter easier. The second thing we must do is remain PATIENT rome wasn't built in one day and its only realistic to think we are not going to get use to our CPAP either in one day so we must be patient. The first week or two your going to have some RESTLESS nights. Keep in mind our body is trying to adjust to this new lifestyle and like getting as new job there is a learning curb we must go through so that we can become true CPAP masters, so be patient. I found that the firsdt week I slept with it, some night i tossed other night I had anxiety becuase I wanted to sleep with it but I needed time so if your tossing and aniext hits take it off and try again the next night. This allowed me to get use to it faster. Last but not least is PERSERVERANCE. We have to weather the proverbial storm. This to shall pass, recent studues have found that 50% of CPAP users quit in the first 3 days of obtaing there devices. Mostly becuse of mask issues. So if you find the mask that was given to you by the company who supplied the CPAK you do have options. Most places have a 14day trial on mask and will allow you change. I went through 4 before I found the right one. Think of the mask as the shoe for the face. Most of us try on several so that we can find the right comfort and fit for our feet. So adress the mask in the same light. Have the provider show you several,try them on and sit there for a few minutes. Yoou might be surprised by doing this how much trouble it will save you for the future. Also most insurances will allow you to replace your mask every three months, take full advantage of this and it does not mean you have to stick with the same one. try diffrent styles, give yourself option's

Closing: Your not alone, this is a process not an event. Take your time to get use to get. Once you do look forward to more energy, improved health, happy spouse, and most of all a good night sleep!!!!

Sincerly,
"he CPAP GUY"

Heavylids

Re: The three P's to success.

Post by Heavylids » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Break that up into a few paragraphs and I'll definately read it

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:24 pm

CPAK?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Sometimes, when I'm on a tear, my fingers make words my brain doesn't recognize, either.
Spell check is such a pain, too often it allows the wrong word--just because it IS a word.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Heavylids wrote:Break that up into a few paragraphs and I'll definately read it

I also don't read stuff written by the monoparagraph crowd.
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

Java

Post by Java » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:44 pm

CPAP101 is trying to help and offering some advice. Since when did this switch from a CPAP forum to a grammar and spelling lesson?
Java :)

Fifty Shades of Exhausted!

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:13 pm

You got to learn to read between the lines. Sometimes I think faster than I can type.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

sol

Post by sol » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:20 pm

CPAP101 wrote:PRACTICE
PATIENCE
PERSEVERANCE

Getting use to Life with CPAP isn't the easiest, but if you follow theses three simple steps it may be easier than you think. Working with CPAP's for now 11years and having one now myself has opened my eyes to CPAP more than I could of ever imagined. Like almost everyone we are "CREATURES OF HABIT". We have a routine that now is about to change and in some cases in a dramatic way. It is only human nature for us to resist change. So instead of trying to use it all night the first night, take some time to get to know your equipment. We are dealing with 4 elements that together create this CPAK we are now going to be sleeping with. PRACTICE is key!!!!!!! Tske the time to get to know your mask and take it easy the first few days so that your nose doesn't get to sore. This is a common side effect that many of us face due to the fact our face is not use to pressure so we have to ease ourself in to this so we don't get burned out. You ever see a guy walk in to gym, head for the bench press and max out, no way he will tear a muscle. He first warms up and then after a few minutes starts light and works his way up. We must practice in a similar way. I call it your "mask workout". Most units are compact and light and can be moved, i prefered the living room on my side table next to my chair. You know the one no one is allowed to sit in but me. We all have a place where its our thrown. So what I did was hook everything up and put my mask on while I was watching a show, sportscenter i sat there with the mask on, once a commercial came on I took it off and repeated the steps for 30min. What I found is that after each repetition it got a litter easier. The second thing we must do is remain PATIENT rome wasn't built in one day and its only realistic to think we are not going to get use to our CPAP either in one day so we must be patient. The first week or two your going to have some RESTLESS nights. Keep in mind our body is trying to adjust to this new lifestyle and like getting as new job there is a learning curb we must go through so that we can become true CPAP masters, so be patient. I found that the firsdt week I slept with it, some night i tossed other night I had anxiety becuase I wanted to sleep with it but I needed time so if your tossing and aniext hits take it off and try again the next night. This allowed me to get use to it faster. Last but not least is PERSERVERANCE. We have to weather the proverbial storm. This to shall pass, recent studues have found that 50% of CPAP users quit in the first 3 days of obtaing there devices. Mostly becuse of mask issues. So if you find the mask that was given to you by the company who supplied the CPAK you do have options. Most places have a 14day trial on mask and will allow you change. I went through 4 before I found the right one. Think of the mask as the shoe for the face. Most of us try on several so that we can find the right comfort and fit for our feet. So adress the mask in the same light. Have the provider show you several,try them on and sit there for a few minutes. Yoou might be surprised by doing this how much trouble it will save you for the future. Also most insurances will allow you to replace your mask every three months, take full advantage of this and it does not mean you have to stick with the same one. try diffrent styles, give yourself option's

Closing: Your not alone, this is a process not an event. Take your time to get use to get. Once you do look forward to more energy, improved health, happy spouse, and most of all a good night sleep!!!!

Sincerly,
"he CPAP GUY"
thanks for posting ... good advice for newbies

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Just felt we were being lectured under the guise of being helped.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 pm

There's a lot to be said for the standard writing methodology, IMO: An Intro paragraph, topic paragraphs, concise well formed statements followed by a summary. Some brevity does not generally go amiss, plus a spell checker is a godsend for some (including me!). The intent of the OP's post is appreciated and there are certainly some good points established, however there are a lot of members vying for attention in a somewhat busy forum who can concisely say what needs to be said using as few words as possible. Only my opinion, as stated earlier Here's one final suggestion: Bullet points are really great for sorting out a lot of thoughts.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Space Oddity

Post by Space Oddity » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:58 pm

The writing style is horrible. If you are going to spend the time to do this, use a good style including paragraphs and spellcheck.

I was once a sleep-deprived newbie and would not have had the patience to read and understand what you wrote. In fact, I still don't.

Good intentions are not sufficient.

Java

Post by Java » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Please note CPAP101 only has 2 posts to this forum, so I assume it's a new member. It's not a very friendly way to welcome someone by bashing their grammar and writing skills. If you don't have the tolerance to read the post, then just move on and don't reply. As Thumper's father said in the 1942 film classic, Bambi, ""If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
Java :)

Fifty Shades of Exhausted!

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Cpap 101, thanks for your observations and sorry for the rudeness!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Beckah54

Post by Beckah54 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Cpap 101, lots of good points in your post. Thanks for taking the time to post what worked for you.

Rise

Post by Rise » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:09 pm

There's room for both. It's useful information kindly offered, and some attention to a few details in presentation would make it easier to read and more likely to be read.

Thanks for taking the time to write.