Liberty Hybrid Quality Problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
the_nap_ster

Liberty Hybrid Quality Problems

Post by the_nap_ster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi all,

Way back when I first started XPAP therapy, I tried a Liberty Hybrid. The fit was so good for my face, but the thing leaked in all sorts of weird places. I gave it away and didn't think about it again. (I assumed I was just new and dumb about adjusting it.) And then, a few months ago, I got a cold and really wanted to give it a try again. So I bought one from a forum member who it didn't fit. No leaks, no weirdness. I've worn it off and on ever since, whenever I want a chinstrap break.

Fast forward to a week ago, when I was due for a new mask from my DME. I picked the Liberty Hybrid (the most expensive mask I wear). And lo and behold, the new Liberty Hybrid has the same leak issues as the first one. Particularly, it seems the plastic mask piece itself is slightly warped, and the hose squeaks something fierce at the connection site. The headgear clips are also slightly defective.

A friend of mine tried (and hated) the Liberty Hybrid for these reasons, and I thought maybe she just got a lemon. But considering two of the three Liberty Hybrids I've tried so far have been lemons, it makes me think this is a more wide-spread problem.

I exchanged my lemon mask for a new one that works perfectly, but I'm annoyed with Resmed that this is happening. The moral of the story: if you are desperate to find a mask that fits, and the Liberty Hybrid is great but for these problems, you might have a lemon as well, and it might be worth your time to try another Liberty. This has ended up being one of my favorite masks, and if I didn't know there were some good versions, I would have missed out on it. But, I will never buy it off our hosts without springing for the return insurance, in case of lemon-hood. Buyer beware.

DiverCTHunter

Re: Liberty Hybrid Quality Problems

Post by DiverCTHunter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:12 pm

I had the same issue with the clips straight out of the bag. Last week the swivel snapped where it attaches to the mask. The plastic near the sprue (place where the two halves of the plastic injection mold connect) had come apart.

The DME ended up swapping both the clips and the swivel, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Re$med didn't have a bad lot.

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:20 pm

DiverCTHunter wrote:I had the same issue with the clips straight out of the bag. Last week the swivel snapped where it attaches to the mask. The plastic near the sprue (place where the two halves of the plastic injection mold connect) had come apart.

The DME ended up swapping both the clips and the swivel, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Re$med didn't have a bad lot.
I think you might be right about the bad lot. But this is why RECALLS exist. At the very least, I hope the problems have been fixed at the manufacturing level.

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:31 pm

if you liked the liberty...try the real Hybrid, too, if you get a chance. Big difference.

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:39 pm

neverbetter wrote:if you liked the liberty...try the real Hybrid, too, if you get a chance. Big difference.
Do you mean the Innomed Hybrid? If so, I am one of those people that this mask does NOT fit properly. I've tried it in multiple sizes, with and without the chin flap cut off, with and without a bunch of other modding. Whoever they used as their fit model looks nothing like me. I'd love it if this worked for me, since it is WAY cheaper, and comes with so many sizing options. But nope.

Just goes to show -- the mask that is perfect on one person can be terrible on another. Lots of people have trouble with fit/leaking on the Liberty Hybrid, but is is ridiculously good for me (when it's not defective, that is!).

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:33 pm

the_nap_ster wrote:Hi all,

Way back when I first started XPAP therapy, I tried a Liberty Hybrid. The fit was so good for my face, but the thing leaked in all sorts of weird places. I gave it away and didn't think about it again. (I assumed I was just new and dumb about adjusting it.) And then, a few months ago, I got a cold and really wanted to give it a try again. So I bought one from a forum member who it didn't fit. No leaks, no weirdness. I've worn it off and on ever since, whenever I want a chinstrap break.

Fast forward to a week ago, when I was due for a new mask from my DME. I picked the Liberty Hybrid (the most expensive mask I wear). And lo and behold, the new Liberty Hybrid has the same leak issues as the first one. Particularly, it seems the plastic mask piece itself is slightly warped, and the hose squeaks something fierce at the connection site. The headgear clips are also slightly defective.

A friend of mine tried (and hated) the Liberty Hybrid for these reasons, and I thought maybe she just got a lemon. But considering two of the three Liberty Hybrids I've tried so far have been lemons, it makes me think this is a more wide-spread problem.

I exchanged my lemon mask for a new one that works perfectly, but I'm annoyed with Resmed that this is happening. The moral of the story: if you are desperate to find a mask that fits, and the Liberty Hybrid is great but for these problems, you might have a lemon as well, and it might be worth your time to try another Liberty. This has ended up being one of my favorite masks, and if I didn't know there were some good versions, I would have missed out on it. But, I will never buy it off our hosts without springing for the return insurance, in case of lemon-hood. Buyer beware.
Hi Napster,

As an FYI, you can purchase this mask at http://www.cpap-experts.com/cpap-full-f ... -cpap-mask for an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee without having to spring for return insurance. Price is the same.

49er