Cpap Brain Fog??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Daisy004

Cpap Brain Fog??

Post by Daisy004 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:00 am

So last night I finally got 6 hours sleep with the mask on, the machine read AHI 2.1 leakage 9ml....is this good or bad?
The thing is, I feel like Im in a daze....I took my little boy to school and ran right by the turn off..I was about a mile down the road whenI realised..it was like I couldnt remember driving from the house to there. Im still in a bit of a daze...is this normal?
"I'm not sleeping, I'm just checking my eyelids for pinholes!" - My Dad

Pachyderm's Nose

Re: Cpap Brain Fog??

Post by Pachyderm's Nose » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:05 am

Was that the 95% leak, median leak or maximum leak? As far as AHI mine varies from 0.4 to 2.2 fwiw.

Please have your equipment shown as text, it's much easier to tell what model you are using!

Daisy004

Post by Daisy004 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:17 am

oh my gosh...lol..I have no clue.....Im only on day 30 and still pretty clueless about ahi's and leaks and stuff...I just read off what the machine said...I think I need to go to Cpap school..lol Ive treid picking up some stuff on here and reading up on it but its all so confucing to me

justpam

Post by justpam » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:24 am

I'm trying to learn the stats stuff too. It is very intimidating sometimes. I keep bouncing back and forth between SH and Rescan and then I wonder why. Until I figure out what the graphs and terms actually mean it doesn't really matter what software is showing them to me. duh..

Daisy, I don't know what's normal or not for you but please be careful!!!

Pam

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 am

Any leak rate below (for Resmed S9) 24 l/m is acceptable. That being said, I am experimenting with having leak rates below 10 l/m and zero leak rates. I have found that I feel much better with the zero leak rate, even when minimum leaks are "considered acceptable". In my opinion, you are too early in the process to be worried about the "fog" you are getting. Keep up the good work! I find myself going thru episodes of "pre-cpap therapy treatment" episodes. Recently, I am getting real sleepy after lunch... so I'm having to get active around that time instead of fighting off drowsiness. I think those episodes you are having will slowly reduce over time.

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:26 am

The leak reported on the machine's LCD screen is the 95% leak number. All this means is that for 95% of the time the leak was at OR below this number.
The unit of measurement is L/min....liters per minute. Resmed says that they can compensate for leaks up to 24 L/min.
So your 95% number is 9 L/min. For 5 % of the time your leaks were above this number. Don't know how high it might have gone (use the software to see the graphs to know exactly) but I suspect if you had any significant leaks they were very short lived.
A brief excursion into large leak territory isn't the end of the world.
Now any leaks that wake you up are unwanted (even if they are small leaks) because they disturb your sleep and not necessarily because the leak is impacting the actual therapy.

So in general....your leak number points to probably nothing very exciting going on in the leak department and if you slept well we count it as a success.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Daisy004

Post by Daisy004 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:16 pm

thanks for the replys...Im thinking some of the leaks may be me fiddling with the pillows for the first hour to get comfy. It takes me ages to get settled. I will hang in there...Im just so tired. more than I was before the cpap.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Daisy004 wrote:.Im just so tired. more than I was before the cpap.
I am so sorry that you are having things worse instead of better or at least "no change". Seems like it happens to some unlucky people.
Your hours that you do sleep.....is that sleep fragmented...wake up often just to "feel the mask" or whatever?
If you are waking up often...any reason that you can think of beyond the strangeness of having a mask on your face?
Anything that needs work? Leaks? Discomfort?

Fragmented sleep for any reason will sure mess with how we feel the next day even if we get 7 to 8 hours of sleep.

Short hours of sleep will also mess with how we feel. 4 to 6 hours just isn't enough for most people. Often people go to bed with the mask on and sometime during the night the mask comes off and they go back to sleep without the mask. OSA rears its ugly head and the body remembers the "bad" sleep since it is the most recent.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Daisy004

Post by Daisy004 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:06 am

well I found the tv remote in the fridge today.......ahem

Pachyderm's Nose

Post by Pachyderm's Nose » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 am

well I found the tv remote in the fridge today.......ahem

Don't worry, I've found the milk in the pantry on occasion.

Please have your equipment shown as text, it's much easier to tell what model you are using!

Xney

Post by Xney » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Daisy004 wrote:well I found the tv remote in the fridge today.......ahem
lol!

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Daisy004 wrote:So last night I finally got 6 hours sleep with the mask on, the machine read AHI 2.1 leakage 9ml....is this good or bad?
The thing is, I feel like Im in a daze....I took my little boy to school and ran right by the turn off..I was about a mile down the road whenI realised..it was like I couldnt remember driving from the house to there. Im still in a bit of a daze...is this normal?
Congratulations on the 6 hours.

As far as it goes, AHI 2.1 and leak of 9 is not that bad. It might be worth a little tinkering once you get used to sleeping all night with the mask.

Have you gotten SleepyHead yet?

Be really careful on the driving.

Ask your doctor, but some people are in a fog at first, even if the CPAP is "right." There's lots of speculation on why, but it does tend to go away if the CPAP is right. Your body makes a lot of adjustments to apnea and can be "out of balance" when apnea stops until you readjust.
Daisy004 wrote:well I found the tv remote in the fridge today.......ahem
I headed to the garage with an armload of dirty clothes the other day. I opened the freezer and would have probably stuffed the clothes in there if it hadn't been too full for them to fit. At least I haven't put the groceries into the washing machine yet.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Daisy004

Post by Daisy004 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:18 pm

lol archangel...makes me feel so much better...thanks

maddyn

Post by maddyn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 pm

My Sleep doc told me that i might feel just as tired or even a little more tired for a few months after starting therapy, but as long as I kept on it there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Something about repaying sleep debt.

Wally65

Post by Wally65 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:25 am

Hang in there,

I am only in my second month of CPAP'n and it seems to vary a lot. I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause either, but it seems that it is very common, and there are a lot of people affected by it.

In my own experience, it seems to possibly be a sinus related issue. My machine has an added on humidifier, and I am in the desert, so the first night I used the machine, I cranked the humidity all the way up, and the next morning the brain fog was the worst I have ever experienced. Following that morning, I developed a nasty head cold that lasted about a week. I use a nasal mask so it was rather challenging to sleep with the cpap on but I stuck with it, and actually don't use the humidifier at all now.

Hopefully, there will be some relief in the near future, either by outside remedies, or by our bodies adjusting to this new experience. Best of luck to all...!