OT: Sandy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
portiemom

Re: OT: Sandy

Post by portiemom » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:07 am

Sending positive energy and prayer to all in the path of Sandy! Hurricane Isabelle hit here very hard, we had 3 cars damaged, 2 huge old oak trees down in our front yard. We are preparing today for the storm, living in Virginia Beach is wonderful except during storm season! God Bless and take precautions. I keep teasing my hubby that MY dog is a PWD and I'll hitch a ride on her, but he is stuck with our Mini Schnauze, what a site that would be!

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:33 am

Not to be insensitive to what is going on, but I was suddenly hit with what extremes we can have from one side of the country to the other... WOW! Southern California where I live is in the midst of strong high pressure and having Santa Ana winds that will make it at least 90 degrees today, humidity in the single digits, plus red flag warnings for wild fires until sometime later tonight. For those of you on the east coast, well, you certainly know what is going on there with Sandy and her likely outcome for extreme damage, power outages, flooding, etc... Such Extremes!

To all of you in the path of Sandy my heart goes out to you along with my thoughts and prayers for safety, strength, and comfort, from the unknown that lies ahead. Remember after every storm, no matter how severe, a rainbow can be seen, and the sun will shine again.

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:50 am

Heres hoping all of you in the path of this monster are safe and sound...please (if you can) keep us posted in the next few days. The rest of us will be waiting to hear that you have weathered the storm safely.
Good luck my friends
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 am

Here is a great site for information about Sandy. I just discovered it yesterday.
http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspot.c ... pdate.html

Earl

Phil_in_CA

Post by Phil_in_CA » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:57 am

For those of you on the east coast, please know that I will be praying for you to weather the storm. Please keep us up to date, as best you can. I will be waiting on "pins and needles" to hear that you are ok.
Boo and Pika! My constant companions.

Bons

Post by Bons » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:18 pm

One bright side of SA and Sandy: fortunately my upright freezer is not all that full (lost a lot in last October's blizzard and don't need a repeat) . I needed to get it full of jugs of water so that it can hold it's temperature better when the power goes out, but didn't want to spend a fortune on water we probably won't need - crossing fingers. And there wasn't much water to be had at the grocery store or Wallyworld anyway. So now my freezer is full of enough distilled water to last a good long while

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:22 pm

When you defrost each new jug, do so in a clean pan that will hold at least a gallon.
Those cheap jugs tend to bust open.

lazer

Post by lazer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Bons wrote:
lazer wrote:I'm confused. Why should I hit the liquor stores?

'Cause you may not be able to go anywhere and may be without power, so kick back and "chillax". As opposed to me hunkering down and hoping the 80' tree I can't afford to have removed doesn't fall on my head....
Ah, I see. Well with the meds I'm on the doc says NO LIQUOR so I'll have to find something else to do.

Seriously though, I really don't think we will get it that bad where I'm at just east of Youngstown, OH in Western PA although I feel for you out near Philly and to the east and south.

Just lots of rain, cooler temps, and probably some wind here but hey, I'm no meteorologist.

joly1584

Post by joly1584 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:03 pm

I live in Youngstown, OH. We are in a flood watch and high wind watch for Monday and Tuesday. The local guys say we could get up to 6" of rain before it is over, with winds over 50 mph. We aren't supposed to see sunshine until next Saturday. Not as bad as the east coast, but we may have power outages. Just be ready for anything.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:25 pm

sylvie wrote:My thoughts exactly. I recently bought a Devilbiss Intellipap auto and its backup battery from cpap.com. I have yet to unpack the Devilbiss and am wondering if the backup battery that I have will attach to my brick C150 Remstar? I really don't have the time to figure out the Devilbiss, right now, but will if no one tells me if my battery will work with my C150 or not.
Look here: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -cord.html

In theory, Intellipap and most Respironics use the same DC adapter. If the "intellipap" battery plug fits, it will probably work OK.

Warning, I believe older ResMeds use the same plug, but the polarity is backwards. ResMed and other brand power cords may cause damage.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Generic emergency advice

Post by archangle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:37 pm

1) ResMed S9 and Respironics PRS1 machines are OK to plug into inverters or generators. ResMed S8, Respironics M series and older may be damaged by inverters or generators unless you remove the humidifier. Generators or inverters are OK if you remove the humidifier. (The WHOLE humidifier, not just the tank, not just turning the humidifier off.)

2) If you've got Facebook, it's a good place to post an "I'm OK" note after the storm. Let your friends and relatives know to check there. If you have a relative you can contact, you can have them post on your wall that you called them and you're OK even if you've lost power and internet.

3) Text messages from cell phones will often work when voice calls won't.

4) One of the biggest and most unnecessary deaths is when idiots drive into the water. Even a few inches of water over the road can wash you away.

5) Store some water before the storm hits.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Well, we just got home from taking my son and his family out to dinner for his birthday, and it feels like the "calm before the storm" here in Virginia Beach, VA. The humidity is over the moon and the temperature has not dropped or risen much since this morning, but there's an erie feeling hanging in the air. Folks are exiting the Outer Banks of N.C. which is par for the course. that said, they better feel safer here in VA. cause there is only one way to get out of here and that's the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and it is already packed full of those heading inland. Will keep you all posted as the storm arrives here.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Charge up the LED yard lights; then bring them inside.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Sending positive thought from the west coast. I hope it is manageable.

lazer

Post by lazer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:41 pm

joly1584 wrote:I live in Youngstown, OH. We are in a flood watch and high wind watch for Monday and Tuesday. The local guys say we could get up to 6" of rain before it is over, with winds over 50 mph. We aren't supposed to see sunshine until next Saturday. Not as bad as the east coast, but we may have power outages. Just be ready for anything.
Wow, I guess I should tune into the weather. Been watching the Outdoor Channel all day on Dish.

Btw, Hi neighbor