Colonoscopy and sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DanWinn

Colonoscopy and sleep apnea

Post by DanWinn » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:43 pm

I have to schedule my colonoscopy for this year and I had not been diagnosed with sleep apnea last timr when I had it done. Has anyone had any experience with having sleep apnea and having a colonoscopy done?

I have been having a colonoscopy for 17 years so that is nothing new, I am just concerned about having sleep apnea and having it done. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Re: Colonoscopy and sleep apnea

Post by Pad A Cheek » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Hello Dan,

I have had 2 Colonoscopies since being diagnosed with sleep apnea. I asked the doctor about bringing my machine and was told to bring it, but I probably would not need it. I did not need it for either one. They kept an Oxygen sensor on me throughout the procedure and assured me that they would be very careful about that while I was under anesthesia. I did sleep afterwards, and my sweet husband watched me sleep. He was ready to put my CPAP mask on me if I needed it. I never needed my CPAP, but I brought it both times. They were very good with my concerns.

I hope this helps.

Karen

levman

Post by levman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:58 pm

I went through this last year. When I scheduled the Colonoscopy and told them I used a CPAP, they told me that I'd need to have the colonoscopy in the hospital rather than their normal outpatient facility, and they told me to bring my CPAP.

Once I was in the procedure room, the doctor told me it was my decision whether or not to use my CPAP during the procedure, he made it sound like there wasn't much to be concerned about. I chose to use the CPAP, because I can't even nap comfortably without it so I figured better safe than sorry, but I don't think it would have made a difference.

Bottom line, check with the office doing the procedure and see what they have to say.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:12 pm

I don't think you'll be out long enough to worry about it. Plus, you're usually on your side and a nurse is right there. She could probably lift your chin up if you started snoring, etc. I wouldn't mess with it.
I wasn't out long at all.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:19 pm

I brought mine but never needed it. During the procedure you're under close observation, and they wake you up to get you out as soon as possible so they can get the gurney ready for the next one (How would you like to have that job, nothing but looking up people's behinds all day long??? ).

I would still suggest taking it because if something happens and they have to hold you in the recovery area or--in extreme cases--admit you to the hospital, at least you'll have the peace of mind that you won't stop breathing if you fall asleep. Better safe than sorry.

Don't bother with the humidifier.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

star444

Post by star444 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:08 pm

About five years ago I did software training at surgical centers where colonoscopies were performed. The software was connected to the scope and would allow them to take pictures, document findings, monitor vitals, keep track of medications, etc. I remember witnessing one patient having a very difficult time after the procedure. His O2 sats kept dropping very low. They discovered that he had sleep apnea that was listed on the intake form but did not get flagged as it should have been. There was a fair amount of hustle and concern until he got stabilized.

Afterwards I commented to the clinic supervisor that since I have severe sleep apnea I guess I'll need to be certain that when the time comes for me to have a colonoscopy that my sleep apnea is flagged. She told me that to be on the safe side, I really should insist that my colonoscopy be done at a hospital.

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

Jeannh

Post by Jeannh » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:41 pm

Good luck getting (and paying for) a colonoscopy at a hospital. Unless you are getting general anesthetic (pretty unusual, I've always had whatever they call the versed cocktail now-used to be 'conscious sedation'), there is really no reason not to take your xPAP and use it at an outpatient surgery center. They have anesthesiologists, should be able to handle most anything.

Jeannh

Post by Jeannh » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:43 pm

But then, I never go to a hospital for anything I can get somewhere else. There are contagious people in hospitals! Good place together sick!

tetragon

Post by tetragon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:07 am

My most recent colonoscopy was performed out of the hospital, and it was… interesting. No gowns, prep instructions included suggestions of which liqueurs to mix with the Moviprep, and I even took medications that they wanted me to avoid in the week before the procedure (not my fault, they phoned me to book it three days in advance, two days after I spained my wrist).

The doctor who did the scope learned that I had sleep apnea by asking why I had brought two bags with me. My second bag was my CPAP. She still did the scope there, but she minimized the drugs. I watched what was happening on-screen, and it hurt as she was going around one of the corners. After I got dressed again and walked to their recovery area, I promptly got bored, sat up, saw that everyone else there was laying there, out of it. When one of the people who worked there eventually showed up to jot down the numbers from the pulse oximeters, she took it off of me so that I could eat, and left. I was handed a photocopied form with a box ticking off the results along with a couple photos before I left. Nobody asked about who was accompanying me home (nobody) or how I was getting there (subway).

I definitely prefer my hospital colonoscopy over my non-hospital colonoscopy. Watching and remembering the colonoscopy was nice, but the monitoring was better in the hospital, I got to meet the doctor in advance and get the results on a later date when not starving, no pain excluding the usual pincusioning, there was no panicking over having a hard time getting the IV started, and there was a far lower risk of getting my clothes covered in slime.

kcellwood

Post by kcellwood » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 am

Had my colonoscopy a couple months ago. During my yealry visit to PCP I had her scheduled that and my sleep study. Colonoscopy came first at the hospital. No issues. Late found out during sleep study that I had severe apnea. One thing about colonoscopy is you are on your side so that may help some.

icipher

Post by icipher » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm

I haven't had a colonoscopy as i am only 30, but I am interested(and concerned) about going under anesthesia considering I have central apnea. I know I am going to have my deviated septum fixed next year. I sure hope the anesthesiologist knows how to deal with my apnea.

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:35 pm

WELCOME DAN
should be no biggie .. you should have been screened with all the redundant ??? before the procedure, if not all need to be informed ! That they have the right person (check wrist band) , health history & that you are not there for a hip replacement etc. , that in fact you do have sleep apnea so they can monitor sats & especially the whole team( including anesthesiologist team ) doing procedure . at teaching hospitals there are always attending s. if they don't ask all of this (big red flag), you will need to chirp up.
otherwise have fun drinking the go juice
i have been down the rabbit hole (put under-anesthetics) 6 times in the last 2 years, so trust me i know

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

lastlib

Post by lastlib » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Be very, very careful and talk to your Doctor before he touches you. In my colonoscopy I was told that I would receive the drug cocktail and would not feel a thing by the nurse. The Doctor never talked to me. They hooked up the I.V. and I went in. When the Doctor started to stick, the machine up my rectum ( now wasn't that a polite term) it hurt like a bunch (whoops almost swore again). When I told the Doctor that the cocktail was not working I was told for the first time there was no drugs because of my severe apnea. I am not litigious but I was tempted to sue for assault and battery and or rape. He claimed that the paperwork i had signed gave him consent to do that. I explained the difference between informed consent, and signing a piece of paper after having been mislead about what was happening. I have switched doctors.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:08 pm

I had a colonoscopy in August of 2011......they told me to bring my CPAP......so, I took it.
I'd advise anybody contemplating this "procedure" to do the same.

Den

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 pm

I had my 1st colonoscopy about 8 years ago.

I was using a CPAP then & brought it with me, but did NOT use it (for the same reasons as noted below for my 2nd colonoscopy).

I had my 2nd colonoscopy in late 2013. Same Doctor as 1st colonoscopy.
Colonoscopy is done in Doctor's clinic which is about 3/4 block from a major regional Hospital. Doctor's clinic is set up just as well as any hospital (IMHO).

Again, I brought my CPAP (same CPAP as 8 years ago, but CPAP is now my backup / travel CPAP).

Again, Doctor said I could use it if I wished, but sedation was so light I would NOT need it. I chose not to use it.
Had no problems whatsoever.
In fact, for the 1st few minutes I was watching the procedure on the monitor they had for that purpose. I did that until I was bored silly & decided to take a nap.

I would suggest that you DO bring your machine even though there is very little chance you would need it.
That way, you at least have it there (just in case).

They do recommend that someone be with you to drive you home - just in case of residual effects from the sedation. In fact, my Doctor makes you sign a statement that you DO have someone to drive you home.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html