Cankar sores from cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Keepsleeping

Cankar sores from cpap

Post by Keepsleeping » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:15 pm

I am fairly new to CPAP and tring desperatly to make this work. I am using a full mask and I am finding I am getting numerious canker sores inside my mouth. I am assuming they are from the machine cause they just started at the same time. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this and if so what can I do other than stop using it.

BlackSpinner

Re: Cankar sores from cpap

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Keepsleeping wrote:I am fairly new to CPAP and tring desperatly to make this work. I am using a full mask and I am finding I am getting numerious canker sores inside my mouth. I am assuming they are from the machine cause they just started at the same time. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this and if so what can I do other than stop using it.
Register and add your equipment to your profile in text format.
When we know what mask you are using and your equipment people can help you.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Keepsleeping

Post by Keepsleeping » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I am using the Res Med along witha Res Med Mirage Quattro mask

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Keepsleeping wrote:I am using the Res Med along witha Res Med Mirage Quattro mask
You may be tightening the mask too much, most people do. It needs to float on your face like a hovercraft.
If you got it from a DME in the USA the manufacturers have a 30 day replacement policy, so you may want to try other masks. My personal favourite is the Respcare Hybrid

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:00 pm

I read once that canker sores can be caused by reflux. I wonder if that could be happening?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Could be stress-related.
Starting this can be a real bear.
Welcome, newbie; it gets better--a lot better.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:11 pm

When I first started I got sores in my mouth from biting my cheeks and lips in my sleep. The straps were pushing my cheeks in and the mask was pushing my lips in and when my jaw snapped shut it bit everything in the way. What a way to wake up. To prevent that I wear a chinstrap to firmly hold my jaw shut.

Could that be the cause of your sores?

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

KrisasMan

Post by KrisasMan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Eons ago, when I got braces the Dr told me to swish my mouth daily with a strong salt solution to 'toughen' up the inside of my cheeks and gums. As I cure my canker sores with straight salt I am sure this would help clear up the ones you have so far as well.

I would also imagine some Vitamin C would help too, my mom takes 2000+ mg a day to help with easy bruising etc associated with aging and it helps a bunch.

Yes

Post by Yes » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Yep. Incredibly painful. I'm doing some testing now but all roads point to the cpap. Perhaps I need to come up with new way of cleaning it.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Canker sores, if that is what they truly are, are usually caused by a virus. Lysine will help with that, and there is a toothpaste that will help with it too. The virus is always there, but becomes more active when the body is stress. My sister gets them on her lip anytime she has stress. There is an ointment for when they are on the lips.

I have been fortunate to not have this problem personally. I do have a cat with the feline version, which is physically expressed as leaky eyes and can advance to a respiratory infection. I add a lysine supplement to her food since we travel and that may increase stress.

But it could also be from biting the inside of the mouth, chewing, etc from being uncomfortable. When I had braces, I would get sores in my mouth from the metal cutting my mouth. You might try using a mouth guard for awhile and see if that helps. You may be grinding your teeth or chewing in your sleep.

I would also see how your mask is fitting and see if it is putting pressure in a bad spot. You may need to find a different mask or a different style of mask.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

araris

Post by araris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:53 pm

Not true canker sores are not associated with viruses at all.

Now herpes is but ulcers in your mouth that are canker sores are caused from stress and eating certain foods. Some people are more prone to get them

Now herpes the blisters on the outside of the mouth...That is a virus.

araris

Post by araris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Wasnt trying to be rude. Canker sores are ulcers on the inside of the mouth.
Herpes is/are a blister on the lips mouth and sometimes nose

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:02 pm

araris wrote:Wasnt trying to be rude. Canker sores are ulcers on the inside of the mouth.
Herpes is/are a blister on the lips mouth and sometimes nose
Sorry. I have always heard that canker sores are inside and outside of the mouth, and that they were all part of teh herpes virus. I didn't want to say the herpes virus, since many people do not know there are different kinds and this one is NOT the STD type.

I just looked online, and WebMD does explain that cold sores and canker sores are often confused. My sister has the cold sores on the lips, and she has always referred to them as canker sores. She has a prescription for dealing with them, so I assumed she knew what she was talking about. The only sores I have had to deal with have been the kind caused by braces or biting the inside of my cheek.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

araris

Post by araris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:35 pm

I get canker sores all the time and some one told me that it was herpes.
No biggie. Sorry if I came across as rude. I teach biology only reason I know

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:49 pm

canker sores
I don't know what causes your sores and I can't tell you how to prevent sores.

However, here is the best treatment once you get a sore - http://www.medicinenet.com/triamcinolon ... rticle.htm

Ask your dentist or any doctor to write you a prescription for the generic. He should allow for some refills in case you continue to have problems.

I use this stuff for a long time after a GP prescribed. If you apply it carefully per the instructions it really works well to clear up sores. Try to start using it as soon as you notice a sore. If you wait until the sore is fully inflamed, it takes longer to clear up.

Best of luck in finding the cause and a way to prevent.