Shallow daytime breathing..?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jdr999

Shallow daytime breathing..?

Post by jdr999 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Is it common for people with moderate to severe OSA to also have irregular / shallow daytime breathing?

I tend to take very shallow and irregular breathes during the day.. Occasionally my breathing feels a bit labored which is an odd feeling to describe -- it's just a little off. I think I just plain forgot how to breath properly, and it’s quite frustrating!!

I think it’s part sinus trouble and part laziness..

I’m actually thinking about going back to my pulmonologist and asking if there are any breathing exercises or routines I should be doing to get back on track..

From searching the forums I’ve heard some say that the regularity may come back as a result of xPAP usage.

Anyone here have a similar experience?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by jdr999 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Re: Irregular daytime breathing..?

Post by LSAT » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Seeing your pulmonologist is a good idea. Have you ever had a pulmonary function test?

jdr999

Re: Irregular daytime breathing..?

Post by jdr999 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:28 pm

LSAT wrote:Seeing your pulmonologist is a good idea. Have you ever had a pulmonary function test?
I have and did fine. It's not that there's anything wrong, just that my breathing has become lazier over the years - just like I have. Gaining weight, lack of exercise and a stuffy nose probably all played a part in it. My heart looks fine, my lungs look fine yet I've never felt this unhealthy in my life. I need to lose weight and exercise more. I'm sure the OSA is making me feel like crap but I have a feeling I need to improve my daytime breathing as well..

How many here are or were shallow breathers? I can't be the only one can I?

2013 has been one rough year so far

Stormynights

Re: Shallow daytime breathing..?

Post by Stormynights » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:34 pm

I notice myself doing that a lot. It sure feels good when I do take a deep breath though.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:37 pm

I noticed myself doing it before CPAP. I haven't noticed it for a long time now, however. Whether it was related to the apnea or not I have no idea. It is possible. YMMV.

KrisasMan

Post by KrisasMan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:48 pm

I ran into this article last week http://www.cracked.com/article_19121_7- ... wrong.html
#5 may explain what you are describing.

Chilimon

Post by Chilimon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 am

I have had shallow breathing episodes myself, another thing I used to do is simply stop breathing while I am awake. One time I was in an airplane, we were sitting on the tarmac waiting for take off and I noticed I wasn't breathing (passenger not pilot), it is scary when you're awake.

I never talked to the Dr about it, maybe I should. I have not noticed any episodes since I started CPAP a month ago either.

jdr999

Post by jdr999 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Just a followup on a older post of mine if anyone's interested..

To recap pre-xPAP I was a very shallow breather - I'd get winded easily and at night when my reflux would act up I'd feel like I wasn't getting enough oxygen. It wasn't asthma and I wasn't suffocating, just an uncomfortable feeling like my breathing couldn't quite keep up with my body's demand for O2. At times I was fighting a losing battle but wasn't sure why.

Fast forward a few months and I'm now breathing much deeper during the day and don't get winded nearly as much as before. And it seems like I'm breathing deeply through my belly now instead of just my chest (if that makes any sense).

I certainly don't feel like a new person, but I'm breathing better and can now sleep for more than three hours without feeling like I was just hit by a bus.

Live and learn!

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Shallow breathing is often part habit and part being preoccupied by other things. As our attention is diverted we tend to breathe shallowly.

But as you note, a xPAP device can help encourage deeper breathing, which can help us retain greater energy throughout the day. It doesn't always do this. But it is often enough that I'm not surprised that you find you are doing better.

I personally used to get bronchitis two or three times per year. Now it's once every two or three years. In my case, I am pretty certain that xPAP therapy helps keep my sinuses open better than when I was snoring. Additionally, like you the xPAP therapy helps encourage deeper breathing for me. The result is that I am actually healthier with xPAP therapy than without it. And that's just the respiratory health.

Hope you continue to do well!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:26 pm

If I was thinking that my respiration has dwindled I would clip a Pulse Oximeter on my finger and verify that my blood Saturation was OK. I would not be surprised if some of those involved are actually trapped by a phobia's panic attack:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/agorap ... ION=causes

jdr999

Post by jdr999 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:52 pm

avi123 wrote:If I was thinking that my respiration has dwindled I would clip a Pulse Oximeter on my finger and verify that my blood Saturation was OK. I would not be surprised if some of those involved are actually trapped by a phobia's panic attack:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/agorap ... ION=causes
That could be one possibility. But in my case my breathing just became lazy over the years probably due to my poor sinuses, undiscovered severe OSA and lack of regular exercise. It's a viscous cycle!

oak

Post by oak » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:57 pm

In my experience a panic attack is much more intense than what jdr is talking about. I have had both. I am hoping with more CPAP under my belt, the shallow breathing I experience when lying down (without CPAP) will go by the wayside. Hope yours does too jdr.

jdr999

Post by jdr999 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:43 pm

oak wrote:I am hoping with more CPAP under my belt, the shallow breathing I experience when lying down (without CPAP) will go by the wayside. Hope yours does too jdr.
To be honest my breathing is always a bit better while using the machine. So lying down without it isn't as good of course - I don't expect that to change significantly. But my daytime breathing has improved quite a bit due to my CPAP therapy. It did take a few months before I noticed a difference..