Machine Recommendations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KrisasMan

Machine Recommendations

Post by KrisasMan » Fri May 27, 2016 3:34 pm

I am coming up on 5 years this November and at that time I get to pick a new machine.

I have had a F&P Icon Auto, both the original silver and the new grey model. They have worked well for me but I have run into issues being tethered to an AC outlet.

I know 5 years ago the ResMed S9 was the most recommended on the forums. We now have the AirSense 10 and the P/R DreamSense that seem to be well recommended. I have liked looking at data in the past and used SleepyHead to do so. Other than that I have been on fixed pressure the whole time (9 cmH2O) but my insurance company will most likely provide me with an Auto machine again.

What are the +/- for each machine? Either better at DC battery function? I will likely only use the batter function a few times a year so I may be looking at deep cycle vs lithium pack for $$ reasons.

avi123

Re: Machine Recommendations

Post by avi123 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 28, 2016 6:35 am

In general the Respironics machines are less complicated when it comes to using a battery because they will run off 12 volts and ResMed machines use 24 volts. ResMeds can be run off batteries but you have to buy something that will convert to 12 volt...so extra expense at least and at worst extra expense along with significant power loss during the conversion if you go with a cheap converter/inverter.

If you you search the forum for "battery" and especially read the posts made by CapnLoki you will see a lot of discussion about battery use.
viewtopic/t112104/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... 6#p1075816

I am not much help with the specifics except to tell you that I would target Respironics brand if I was going to be wanting to use a battery for power.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat May 28, 2016 8:47 am

KrisasMan wrote:I am coming up on 5 years this November and at that time I get to pick a new machine.

I have had a F&P Icon Auto, both the original silver and the new grey model. They have worked well for me but I have run into issues being tethered to an AC outlet.

I know 5 years ago the ResMed S9 was the most recommended on the forums. We now have the AirSense 10 and the P/R DreamSense that seem to be well recommended. I have liked looking at data in the past and used SleepyHead to do so. Other than that I have been on fixed pressure the whole time (9 cmH2O) but my insurance company will most likely provide me with an Auto machine again.

What are the +/- for each machine? Either better at DC battery function? I will likely only use the batter function a few times a year so I may be looking at deep cycle vs lithium pack for $$ reasons.
I can't say a lot about the specific new machines because I run a Respironics 560 (plus an identical spare) and have not looked closely at the newest offerings. I can say that I haven't seen anything in the new machines that would make me change, and if I were paying out of pocket now I would probably get the same. In fact, although the S9 had many fans, the 560 also had many fans and is still the best "bang for the buck" pump, in my opinion.

I will say that if you're planning on using battery power a lot, you will be much better off with the Respironics brand, since they run directly from 12v with a standard plug. If you go with ResMed you will have the following issues:
They run from 24V, which means either a 24 V battery or the 12-24V converter, which costs $85 and is as heavy as a power brick. The alternative is to use an inverter to create 120V AC and they tend to be 60% effecient, which means a much larger battery.
ResMed seems to use a proprietary plug that "handshakes" with the power source, meaning that your power supplies and battery packs need to be ResMed, or at least setup to work specifically with ResMed. If you forget a power supply on a trip, there is no easy fallback. With Respironics any 12V source (including 8 D cells!) can be adapted with commonly available parts.
The efficiency of the 12-24v converter is going to cost a bit, maybe 10%. And there is anecdotal evidence that ResMed systems are a bit less efficient then Respironics. My 560 (pressure 9, without humidity) uses 4 Amp-hours a night - I don't think any ResMed can beat that.

Whichever machine you pick, you might want to consider the size/weight without a humidifier. When I travel I often leave the humidifier behind. And if you need advice on batteries, etc. make sure you include the word "battery" in the topic so I'll notice it.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:40 am

A test. My new stats on the S9 by using ResScan:

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 28, 2016 12:00 pm

My main machine is the Airsense 10 Autoset for Her;
so rather than going all spendy with the seven hundred dollar proprietary power supply,
I opted for a DevillBiss Intellipap Autoadjust.
Therapy feeling is similar, with only a little more noise, and a much better investment.
If I could only afford one machine, it would be this or a Respironics.

KrisasMan

Post by KrisasMan » Mon May 30, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks for all the feedback!

Sounds like PR has really upped their game since the System One. I like that DreamStation has a iPhone app to read the data, I like this trend towards empowering the patient. It would seem ResMed doesn't have an iPhone app, do they at least give users a desktop app or website for the AirSense 10? How does the data compare between brands? Apnea classification, leak calculation for the mask, etc.

I know the S9 had sensors at the end of the hose to monitor the humidity and temp next to the mask, I am assuming the AirSense 10 does the same. Is that still patented so PR can't copy it? I see the DreamStation monitors both at some point in the airstream, just curious where as my house gets cold in the winter and I have had issues with rainout when on really cold nights and when camping(long extension cords) with my F&P Icon.

Insurance will be paying my full cost on this machine so price won't be an issue for me. Battery packs are up to me so the PR sounds better than the ResMed for that limited use case.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:52 pm

A plain Resmed S9 hose does not have any sensors at the mask.

Question: how could your insurance ask you to use an Auto CPAP (APAP) if medically you or someone should not use one?

Who should not use an XPAP in APAP mode?

3.2. Patients with congestive heart failure, significant lung disease such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, patients expected to have nocturnal arterial oxyhemoglobin desaturation due to conditions other than OSA (e.g., obesity hypoventilation syndrome), patients who do not snore (either naturally or as a result of palate surgery), and patients who have central sleep apnea syndromes are not currently candidates for APAP titration or treatment. (Standard)

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2225554/

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:31 pm

avi123 wrote:A plain Resmed S9 hose does not have any sensors at the mask.

Question: how could your insurance ask you to use an Auto CPAP (APAP) if medically you or someone should not use one?
would avi's handler please put him back on his meds?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.