OT: Sandy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bons

Re: OT: Sandy

Post by Bons » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:19 pm

boss at the home health agency for which I moonlight says we are expected to make every effort to get to our clients. I sure wish I'd thought ahead and told them I was unavailable for tomorrow and Tuesday. I am packing clean undies, a book, a flashlight and some food 'cause I figure I may be stranded at my tomorrow morning's client's home for several days.

Wonder if I'll get paid for any of those hours?

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 pm

If he doesn't Bons, smack your boss upside the head

Last edited by Starlette on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Slartybartfast wrote: He was wondering what the big deal is about a little rain.
The ground up there doesn't soak up water the way it does here in Florida. I can get 4" of rain in a good afternoon storm that comes down in buckets and 4 days later I'm watering my lawn. Four inches of rain in the northeast can cause a lot of problems, where here it just soaks right up into the ground water table. Your right Salty youth is wasted on the young.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:07 pm

I believe there have been novels written about this storm - many years ago. Only then it was a much higher category. This time it is just a much bigger storm in area. People think that the higher the number, the more the damage. Not true - the higher number just indicates higher sustained wind speeds. Lower speeds for longer periods can do just as much damage, especially if they cover a wider area. Plus, much more rain is going to fall in the time the storm is above us. Hopefully, when everything calms down all those who said "this storm is overhyped" will still be around to hear everyone else say "Told you so."

My company has said "The township where head office is based has declared a state of emergency effective 6 AM Monday morning. Keep working while we still have power to be able to keep the servers running."

2Tim215

Post by 2Tim215 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:34 pm

My brother-in-law and family just had to evacuate from Old Saybrook, CT, it sounds like that may be the case for a lot of others along the Sound. Prayers and thoughts to all!

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
S9 AutoSet 4cm-12cm

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 pm

I have friends trying to drive out of DC after the Marine Corps Marathon... Knowing all the flights will be cancelled...
It really is just a storm. Be grateful we have warning systems in place.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:36 am

It might not be a bad idea to unplug your CPAP machines when the bad weather gets there and you aren't using it. There might be power surges as power lines get knocked down or repaired, lightning, etc.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:40 am

Good point, Burritopup!

opticalpopsicle

Post by opticalpopsicle » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 am

archangle wrote:It might not be a bad idea to unplug your CPAP machines when the bad weather gets there and you aren't using it. There might be power surges as power lines get knocked down or repaired, lightning, etc.
Thanks for the reminder....done.
Machine: M Series Auto CPAP with A-Flex
Masks: ComfortGel Blue Full and OptiLife Pillows.

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:32 am

Delaware has closed...well sort of. State of emergency (level 2). No one should be on the roads unless it is an emergency or medical aid.

I've gassed up the generator, stored all outside "stuff" and already retrieved two trash can lids (neighbors) from my back yard. Placed the flashlights and candles in easy reach. Oh and we had a brief power blip already. Stay tuned

To all in the storms path...keep your head down and your powder dry ....

Cheers,
-tino

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:42 am

If you are on facebook, people ae posting updates and photos here

http://www.facebook.com/HurricaneSandyOfficialPage

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:46 am

Here’s a great image showing the difference between this storm and Irene from last year. That’s been the big concern for all meteorologists. People have become complacent after Irene’s hype. Sandy is the real deal. Shows the effect of the trough/cold front pushing to the coast, and how it gets swallowed into Sandy to create this “hybrid superstorm."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... TopStories
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:54 am

Here in Middletown CT. The wind gusts have begun, it blew over our arbor in the yard about 20 minutes ago. Small
Twigs and branches are down too. Nothing major yet.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:01 am

CT governor is closing all highways as of 1pm

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 pm

I was surprised to wake up this morning to see the flooding of Norfolk which is just about 20 minutes from where I live in Virginia Beach. This storm has surpassed Irene as far as the rain, but for us in Virginia Beach it is not near as bad as Isabel was for us. The wind field is so broad that it has dispersed the impact over a really large area. With the wind gusts bigger in Long Island (my birth home) than they are here. They say that we will all be getting some stronger winds later this evening reaching 50 mph, and so far with just a few gusts reaching 60 last night we have maintained about 30-35mph.
My PWD is crazy loving this and when I call her in (she is a house dog) she stiffins her stifles and has a "oh hell no" look, then when she's good and soaked she gives in and comes in the mud room head held in submission. Sure wished she liked the bathtub this much!