OT: Sandy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: OT: Sandy

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:26 pm

@ 2Tim215 did you read the post just before your last?
i didnt mean to rain on your pity party
i should point out a couple of things for you
a generator is a poor choice for a cpap
your neighbors wont appreciate you running a generator all nite
but you dont care
a battery or jump starter is a better choice and not as difficult to install
one can be had for around $100
less than any generator and wont kill you while you sleep
plus you can use it for other things

i guess you are out of chill pills
so get some sleep sounds like you need lots
it will help the panic disorder

then move inland young man you are not made to live near the coast
2Tim215 wrote:
Guest wrote:you dont say where you are but finger lakes are practically the mid-west lol
id say take a chill pill
its not like you are on long giland
Dear "Guest", I didn't post for my benefit but for anyone else that may be in the path as I am. Hopefully to encourage people not to take it lightly as every News Cast I have seen are expressing the importance of being prepared as well as our LOCAL news who states possible outages in our area and well beyond for weeks. But since I didn't include my location I will share with you that I am very close to PA/NY line in central NY which is considered the Finger Lakes Region. We are in the full Red Zone with current projections of this storm even going well past us by approx. 150 miles. If you are watching the Weather Channel you can see this for yourself. We have a cold front moving in from the west which is forecast to meet Sandy pretty close to us and cause snow in the high elevations and complicate what we get from Sandy. We are pretty high up but again the intent of this Post is to try and share the importance of trying to prepare NOW. Just a note, I am from CT and grew up on the Sound so very familiar with the possible impact there and Long Island, I can appreciate some humor once in a while but not on occasions like this with over 40 people already killed by Sandy and many having property and loved ones affected, nothing to lol about in my opinion and a time to encourage people to get ready the best they can. Prayers and thoughts to all.

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks! This thread has put great fear in me to muck with the plugs and machines, and my eyeballs are crossed from reading battery-speak. I think I'll just use my Devilbiss tomorrow with it's one-night capacity battery for safety's sake and hope power will be out only one night. If it's more, it's my recliner with cervical collar time.
archangle wrote:
sylvie wrote:My thoughts exactly. I recently bought a Devilbiss Intellipap auto and its backup battery from cpap.com. I have yet to unpack the Devilbiss and am wondering if the backup battery that I have will attach to my brick C150 Remstar? I really don't have the time to figure out the Devilbiss, right now, but will if no one tells me if my battery will work with my C150 or not.
Look here: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -cord.html

In theory, Intellipap and most Respironics use the same DC adapter. If the "intellipap" battery plug fits, it will probably work OK.

Warning, I believe older ResMeds use the same plug, but the polarity is backwards. ResMed and other brand power cords may cause damage.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

2Tim215

Post by 2Tim215 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Guest wrote:@ 2Tim215 did you read the post just before your last?
i didnt mean to rain on your pity party
i should point out a couple of things for you
a generator is a poor choice for a cpap
your neighbors wont appreciate you running a generator all nite
but you dont care
a battery or jump starter is a better choice and not as difficult to install
one can be had for around $100
less than any generator and wont kill you while you sleep
plus you can use it for other things

i guess you are out of chill pills
so get some sleep sounds like you need lots
it will help the panic disorder

then move inland young man you are not made to live near the coast
I will just move on from replying anymore to your Posts as "Quest". This is a forum where people care about each and their needs as most of the Posts in this thread show. I believe my Posts were fair to encourage people to prepare, it is a nationwide message now. Feel free to register and if there are things you need addressed for CPAP use you will find many people who will reach out to a complete stranger and take the time to help with their therapy, equipment, etc. My prayers and thoughts to all in Sandy's path.

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
S9 AutoSet 4cm-12cm

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Having done without my Bipap for Hurricane Isaac, yes, please, if you are in the way of Sandy, DO prepare.

1. 1 gallon of water (minimum) per person or animal per day.

2. Preserved foods which can be heated over a propane stove, or even over a can of sterno. Or eaten cold.

3. Plenty of reading materials.

4. Lots of LED lights and lots of batteries.

4a. A battery-powered fan or two, with lots of batteries. Just being able to stir the air around is really nice.

4b. A source of heat if you are currently in a cold area.

5. A battery-powered radio for news and information.

6. Have a family plan for where you are to meet if an emergency evacuation of your area is ordered, and/or there is major damage to your home, forcing you to take shelter elsewhere.

7. If you have pets, be aware that shelters may not take them, so be prepared to take them with you and find a safe place that WILL take them.

8. A way to recharge for cell phones... but don't depend on cell phones for communication.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:43 am

I know this may sound stupid, but is there anything that us folks that are out of harms way can help related to xpap??? I got to thinking about this, but I had to remember that the mail delivery will more than likely be out as well.

Starlette

deltadave

NMY

Post by deltadave » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:23 am

Boy, talk about "It's Not My Job":

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/news/20121027_p ... sition.pdf

What does NHC do when there isn't an actual "tropical cyclone" buzzing around out there anyway? I mean, it'd kill 'em to do a little extra work?

And how much work do they need to do other than looking at the radar, seeing a BF Storm, and then posting on the website, "Hey look! A BF Storm!"
...other than food...

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:14 am

sylvie wrote:Thanks! This thread has put great fear in me to muck with the plugs and machines, and my eyeballs are crossed from reading battery-speak. I think I'll just use my Devilbiss tomorrow with it's one-night capacity battery for safety's sake and hope power will be out only one night. If it's more, it's my recliner with cervical collar time.
archangle wrote:
sylvie wrote:My thoughts exactly. I recently bought a Devilbiss Intellipap auto and its backup battery from cpap.com. I have yet to unpack the Devilbiss and am wondering if the backup battery that I have will attach to my brick C150 Remstar? I really don't have the time to figure out the Devilbiss, right now, but will if no one tells me if my battery will work with my C150 or not.
LOL as I thought I was the only one with glazed eyes.

Interestingly, my apartment building, which will mysteriously lose power on a bright sunny day, has never lost power during the previous hurricanes. Hopefully, the streak continues.

Good luck to everyone who will be affected. Stay safe.

49er

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:37 am

Well, I can tell you that Sandy is very slow moving here in Virginia Beach. The winds here are not too bad, but they are expected to get worse. A bit more inland in Norfolk, they have gotten 10 inches of rain in the past three hours and the roads that usually flood (downtown} are already flooded. More rain in the forcast through Tuedsay. So far NO power outages, thank goodness. Keepin it real! Keepin you posted!

2Tim215

Post by 2Tim215 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Kiralynx wrote:Having done without my Bipap for Hurricane Isaac, yes, please, if you are in the way of Sandy, DO prepare.

1. 1 gallon of water (minimum) per person or animal per day.

2. Preserved foods which can be heated over a propane stove, or even over a can of sterno. Or eaten cold.

3. Plenty of reading materials.

4. Lots of LED lights and lots of batteries.

4a. A battery-powered fan or two, with lots of batteries. Just being able to stir the air around is really nice.

4b. A source of heat if you are currently in a cold area.

5. A battery-powered radio for news and information.

6. Have a family plan for where you are to meet if an emergency evacuation of your area is ordered, and/or there is major damage to your home, forcing you to take shelter elsewhere.

7. If you have pets, be aware that shelters may not take them, so be prepared to take them with you and find a safe place that WILL take them.

8. A way to recharge for cell phones... but don't depend on cell phones for communication.
Great advice!

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
S9 AutoSet 4cm-12cm

Kiralynx

Re: NMY

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:14 pm

deltadave wrote:Boy, talk about "It's Not My Job":

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/news/20121027_p ... sition.pdf

What does NHC do when there isn't an actual "tropical cyclone" buzzing around out there anyway? I mean, it'd kill 'em to do a little extra work?

And how much work do they need to do other than looking at the radar, seeing a BF Storm, and then posting on the website, "Hey look! A BF Storm!"
They work on trying to get the guv'mint to admit that her-icanes and him-icanes can be dangerous.

They try to persuade people of it, too.

They spend a bunch of time praying that coastal barriers get put in place.

The also try to get power companies to admit that cheap-n-dirty doesn't cut it when it comes to power.

And city and state governments to realize that when one of these beggars hits, yah maybe can't just pick up the phone and ask someone something. Why, you might even have to do without a steak dinner. Heck... you might have to eat fast food! Or not at all!

Of course, it's also a characteristic of governments and power companies to declare that xPAPs aren't needed during or after a hurricane.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:03 pm

I mean, really!

When 'canes happen, people want to know 3 things:
  • Is it going to hit me;
  • If so, how bad is it going to be; and
  • What do I need to do to not get dead.
NHC has a bunch of computer programs to track the storms, so all they need there is one guy to click on the Hurricane.exe program and post the results (actually, "IMHO", if you look on Weather.com and see a storm that's a thousand miles in diameter you can be pretty sure there's gonna be an issue, so we probably don't need him either, but what the hey, we need to do something with the building).

As far as What To Do In Case of MegaCane, all that stuff is printed up already.

So the MuffStormContingencyPlan is simply this:

When a storm is coming, the remaining guy at NHC will send out an email with the WhatToDo.pdf to everybody east of the Mississippi.

And everybody else at NHC can get their butts down to storm path and start putting up plywood on storefronts and filling sandbags.
...other than food...

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:20 pm

i cant vote here cuz some people dont like "quests" but i'd like to nominate MittMuff for presidenti

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:44 pm

squid13 wrote:Now is the time for all you hoseheads in the Northeast to check your backup power for your machine and make sure it's in good shape. I imagine some of you will be losing power from this storm, so you need to get your system ready to go in case you do.
Comment,

I was thinking about it when Sandy approached NC coast and I don't have any battery back up. I think that I could do OK for a night or two by using my chinstrap by itself. Tying the chinstrap closer to my throat does prevent my tongue from falling back into my throat, during sleep, and thus causing obstructive apneas. I do it while I am taking naps without the CPAP and it works for me. At least it helps by reducing the wake ups due to desats.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:43 pm

I'll say a prayer for all those in the path of the storm.
Later, when those of us are in the winter storm area, please think kindly of us.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 pm

My boy's a freshman at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. 2" of rain in 24 hours is about all he's ever experienced in our dry climate. Just got a call from him saying he's getting e-mailed assignments from professors 'cause classes are cancelled tomorrow and maybe Tuesday. He was wondering what the big deal is about a little rain.

Youth is wasted on the young.