How do you power off the resmed S9?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
king_alvaro

How do you power off the resmed S9?

Post by king_alvaro » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 pm

I have a resmed S9, but every morning I unplug the machine and plug it in at night. Is there an easier way? I don't want to leave the machine on standby. My resmed S8 was the same. What do you do, leave it plug or unplug?

Roger2

Re: How do you power off the resmed S9?

Post by Roger2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 pm

king_alvaro wrote:I have a resmed S9, but every morning I unplug the machine and plug it in at night. Is there an easier way? I don't want to leave the machine on standby. My resmed S8 was the same. What do you do, leave it plug or unplug?

Why do you want to shut it off?

If you must, just hold the "On/Off" button for 15 or 29 seconds it will completely turn off. It was designed to stay in idle when not in use which is evidenced by the green led light in the button staying on, when it is actually running the led goes off.

I was curious about the light staying on all day when not in use so I emailed the question to the manufacturer's website and that was their reply.

pax
Roger

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 pm

I leave mine plugged in.
I have always done that with all my various machines.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:01 pm

I plugged my machine into a Kill-a-watt meter when in standby; and the power use is negligible.
Edit: the Kill-a-watt is a heck of a toy. We use it to check power usage on a lot of things--
including our distiller. We bought it at Harbor Freight.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:21 pm

My machine is an older Respironics BiPAP Plus that also has no OFF/ON. I have solved this by adding an extension cord with an in-line switch. I turn it of as soon as I get up mornings. Incidentally, I also turn off my computer when I shut down. The practice of so many devices that consume a little power in the standby mode ( Mine used about 10 watts) multiplied by say 17 hours standby, 365 days a year adds a lot of KWH worldwide. I think of computers, TV's, etc. all adding totally un-needed parasitic load, and multiplying that by hundreds millions of consumers. Total waste of resources!

A simple power switch should be a part of every electrical device. I have written to Philips/Respironics to protest the XPAP devices lack of a switch, and was honored by total disregard. My first two XPAPs had switches (A Healthdyne CPAP, and then a Sullivan BiLevel) . We live in a time when our government is forcing a variety of energy conserving items on the public (Fluorescent lamps, smaller cars,alcohol in our gasoline, low flush toilets, carbon taxes, etc. ad nauseum) and we don't even have real OFF/ON switches on many devices.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 am

I leave mine on all the time. Sometimes when it starts to show zero events I will turn it off for a while.

jacks321

Post by jacks321 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:30 am

turn all electrical equipment off at the power point, the only thing that should be on standby is your bed mate.

-tim

Post by -tim » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:53 am

jacks321 wrote:turn all electrical equipment off at the power point, the only thing that should be on standby is your bed mate.
Most places don't have switches on the power points....

The S9 runs at slow speed for a while to help reduce humidity in the hose and cut down on mould and bacteria growth. After a while it shuts down. It seems to use very little power while it does that. I would not turn it off or unplug it unless thunder storms were in the area.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:13 am

Curiously, in the US, there are no 'on' 'off' switches at the power points.

Cheers,
xena

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:34 am

I use the my S9 Elite Smart Stop/Start. Just breathe into mask it turns on. Remove mask it turns off. I unplug only to remove SD card.

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:19 am

VikingGnome wrote:I use the my S9 Elite Smart Stop/Start. Just breathe into mask it turns on. Remove mask it turns off. I unplug only to remove SD card.
I think we have the same unit but I just tried turning mine on by breathing into it and nothing happened. I then turned it on for several minutes with the mask on and then took the mask off and it just kept running. Is there something special in the set-up to get it to do that or do I need to have a tech set it up?

pax
Roger

john5396

Post by john5396 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:35 am

For the S9, The Smart Start feature is located on the clinicians menu.

Why do they put things that are purely convienience/comfort features in the clinicians menu?

jacks321

Post by jacks321 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 pm

No power off switchs in the great land of the brave and free i never heard of such a thing. you should all emigrate to aus where things are more modern and up to date.

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Roger, sounds like you don't have Smart Start turned on. Access the clinician's menu by holding the right hand knob down while holding the "setup" button down for 3 seconds. You'll see an gold unlocked padlock icon that tells you you're in the clinician's menu. Turn the knob to access the Options menu, the second one from the top. (the icon looks like a pad of paper and pen). Click once to choose the Options menu. About the 4th line down is Smart Start. Does it say "ON" or "OFF". To turn it on, turn the knob so Smart Start is highlighted and push down the knob to select it. Then turn knob to "ON". Click knob, turn knob down to "back" and click. Then just push info button to get out of clinician's menu fast.

Smart Start is almost immediate. It usually takes 1 good blow in the mask. The machine's menu will light up. And it stops within 5 seconds of disconnecting hose or pulling mask off.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 pm

VikingGnome wrote:Roger, sounds like you don't have Smart Start turned on. Access the clinician's menu by holding the right hand knob down while holding the "setup" button down for 3 seconds. You'll see an gold unlocked padlock icon that tells you you're in the clinician's menu. Turn the knob to access the Options menu, the second one from the top. (the icon looks like a pad of paper and pen). Click once to choose the Options menu. About the 4th line down is Smart Start. Does it say "ON" or "OFF". To turn it on, turn the knob so Smart Start is highlighted and push down the knob to select it. Then turn knob to "ON". Click knob, turn knob down to "back" and click. Then just push info button to get out of clinician's menu fast.

Smart Start is almost immediate. It usually takes 1 good blow in the mask. The machine's menu will light up. And it stops within 5 seconds of disconnecting hose or pulling mask off.
Roger has a full face mask in his profile. The ability to use "Smart Start" is turned off when a full face mask is selected in the setup options.

To the original poster........plug your machine into a (good) surge protector outlet strip and then just use the toggle switch to shut it off (or on) when you wish.

Den