One congested nostril. Still attempt nasal pillows?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cosmo

Post by cosmo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 pm

I’m not sick nor feel any pressure. Just swollen and congested on one side. It switches nostril sides every few hours or so.
I’ve already taken Sudafed 24 Hour. Pseudoephedrine HCI 240 mg. It hasn’t cleared yet but the blockage is less severe.

I’m more comfortable with nasal pillows than a FFM. Do you need two working nostrils to use the nasal pillows?
Last edited by cosmo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jencat824

Re: One congested nostril. Still attempt nasal pillows?

Post by jencat824 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm not sure if my answer is correct, but I would try masking up as usual with nasal pillows, then see if you can breathe with that on. If your breathing is impaired with the congested nostril, then switch to your FF mask. If the FF mask is not usually comfortable, I would try hard to make the nasal pillows work, to me, what usually works best would be the most comfortable. I usually use the aromatherapy oils you can get on cpap.com (link below). Won't help tonite, but you may want to keep it on hand, I do. For tonite you could put some Vicks Vapor Rub on a cotton ball & put in front of the air intake of your machine (usually in the back).

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/cpap-a ... aster.html

Hope this helps & hope you feel better soon.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:08 pm

I can manage nasal pillows with one somewhat blocked nostril, as long as the other one is completely clear. You'll know within a few mins of masking up if it's going to work.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:16 pm

For me the nasal pillows solved my recurring problem of alternating nostrils being stuffed up. It took bit of time for me to get the full positive affects but within a couple of months both of my nostrils were working full bore. IMO, I'd lay off the decongestants... I believe they only contribute to the problem. Maybe try Nedi-pot (don't think I spelled that right)

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

mnfe

Post by mnfe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Personally, I can't do it. I feel like I'm not getting enough air and I inevitably end up mouth breathing. That's if one nostril is completely clogged. If it's just a little stuffed up it can work.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 pm

My right nostril often blocks up. with me its an allergy. I use nasonex. It only helps.I also prefer the nasal pillows but i still switch when I get sick of them.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 pm

For me, I often have one nostril blocked. I do have a prescription to Nasonex, which I use every day. It works very well to keep my allergies in check, but I still often have one blocked nostril. I find that my Aloha nasal pillows still work well. If anything, I think they help keep the nostrils from getting even more blocked. I do wait until I'm relaxed and my breathing has slowed down before I mask up. I usually read for 15-20 minutes before masking up and turning out the light. If I masked up just after hopping into bed, I might feel I was short on air.

I -did- just get a full face mask for those days when I'm completely clogged up in both nostrils.

John

rjm

Post by rjm » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 pm

This happens to me from time to time. Happening right now. Sometimes i just put tissue in my cloogged nostril until it feel clear, which usually happens for me. Then i put my nasal pillows on. For me it is mainly allergies that cause this. Most nights i am able to leave the nasal pillows on. Good luck.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Last edited by cosmo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 pm

last night i had one nostril that remained closed all night on sudafed - didn't seem to hurt ( if anything my ahi was one of the lowest i've ever had 0.5) - this was with a swift fx

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:54 pm

cosmo wrote:One congested nostril. Still attempt nasal pillows?

I’m not sick nor feel any pressure. Just swollen and congested on one side. It switches nostril sides every few hours or so.
I’ve already taken Sudafed 24 Hour. Pseudoephedrine HCI 240 mg. It hasn’t cleared yet but the blockage is less severe.

I’m more comfortable with nasal pillows than a FFM. Do you need two working nostrils to use the nasal pillows?

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 pm

hmmm....wonder where my comment went? Cosmo, i just wanted to make sure you are aware that sudafed use has a side effect of insomnia in around 30% of users - just what you need with cpap and a stuffed nose

wildflowertx

Post by wildflowertx » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:35 pm

I have pretty constant allergies, so am often somewhat congested (usually partial in both). Like a couple of others posted, though, I've found that I have no problem breathing with my Swift FX nasal pillows -- in fact, my nose seems much less congested when I wake up in the morning.

Unfortunately, it doesn't last long...

Steph

Treatment started 11/27/12

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:16 pm

johnthomasmacdonald wrote:last night i had one nostril that remained closed all night on sudafed - didn't seem to hurt ( if anything my ahi was one of the lowest i've ever had 0.5) - this was with a swift fx
I also had a very low AHI of 0.36 on Sudafed last night. I woke up with one partial blockage. I've never seen it under 1 before. Only 2 events total. But I didn't feel great during the day. I needed more hours of sleep probably.

i guest

Post by i guest » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:44 am

Have you tried using a saline solution before bed? Also, I find one nostril works almost as well as two...love my nasal pillows.