Filters for Resmed S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chikorita

Filters for Resmed S9

Post by Chikorita » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:40 pm

I've been looking online for filters. I notice some are made by ResMed and some are third party.
Is there anything I need to know about the difference between these please?

________
Chikorita in Australia :: APAP since 3/8/2012
1 God, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 8 chooks, 5 ducks, 3 budgies and a bee hive
Equipment - ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset :: AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow :: Pressure range 7-12cm :: OSCAR

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Filters for Resmed S9

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:02 pm

I've had both; can't tell the difference.
Still no clue which side goes out--if there's any difference at all.

-tim

Post by -tim » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:27 pm

I use the cheap ones on the outside as a pre-filter and the resmed hypoallergenic one inside. The second filter will turn grey long before the outer filter. The resmed filter design isn't very good and if you aren't very careful, you create a gap that lets unfiltered air in.

I'm still trying to find an adapter that goes into the round filter hole so I can hook up a decent filter.

Chikorita

Post by Chikorita » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 pm

I know this is a newbie question but why does the ai need to be filtered?

________
Equipment - ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset :: AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow :: Pressure range 7-12cm :: OSCAR

Pualani

Post by Pualani » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:20 am

To filter out dust, dirt, and allergens. I am wondering how often you are supposed to change the filter. My husband has had his over a year and has changed the filter but it never changes color as mentioned above. Thanks.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:52 am

Apart from the basic health benefits of filtering the air, there is concern for the "health" of the CPAP machine itself. There's no way to clean dust off of the fan and other bits inside the machine. A lot of air flows through a CPAP machine in its operational life. Think of how much fuzz and stuff builds up on a room fan, or an air conditioner filter and imagine all that stuff inside your CPAP machine.

By the way, you need to be careful to not put the wrong kind of "custom" filter on the CPAP machine. If you block the airflow too much, the machine may overheat. There have been reports of machines overheating if the patient doesn't replace the filter reasonably often.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:08 am

Pualani wrote:To filter out dust, dirt, and allergens. I am wondering how often you are supposed to change the filter. My husband has had his over a year and has changed the filter but it never changes color as mentioned above. Thanks.
I believe that 6 months is the recommended maximum time, replacing it sooner if it gets dirty sooner.

[edit - 6 months for S9 filters only]

Last edited by archangle on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

lazer

Post by lazer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:18 am

Regarding the PSR1, are we talking the foam one and/or the white one in regards to replacement intervals suggested? Thanks

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm

lazer wrote:Regarding the PSR1, are we talking the foam one and/or the white one in regards to replacement intervals suggested? Thanks
Manufacturer's directions for PRS1 machines:

Grey filter - clean every two weeks, replace at 6 months.
White filter - replace every 30 days of use or when it looks dirty, do not clean.

The white filter is optional, but the machine might overheat if it is not replaced when dirty.

Useful Links.

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Tim, I only change one filter on my S9,where is the other filter?

lazer

Post by lazer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:51 pm

archangle wrote:
lazer wrote:Regarding the PSR1, are we talking the foam one and/or the white one in regards to replacement intervals suggested? Thanks
Manufacturer's directions for PRS1 machines:

Grey filter - clean every two weeks, replace at 6 months.
White filter - replace every 30 days of use or when it looks dirty, do not clean.

The white filter is optional, but the machine might overheat if it is not replaced when dirty.
Thanks for the information.

And to the follow-up post/user, I'm sorry I sorta Hi-jacked the thread with my question which pertains to a different machine. Your machine may very well have only 1 filter. I'm sure someone else can quickly confirm.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Kitatonic wrote:Tim, I only change one filter on my S9,where is the other filter?
There is only one filter at a time in the S9. You can use a regular or a hypoallergenic filter.

Many Respironics machines use a mandatory washable foam filter, and have an optional disposable fine filter under the foam filter.

Useful Links.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 pm

archangle wrote:
Kitatonic wrote:Tim, I only change one filter on my S9,where is the other filter?
There is only one filter at a time in the S9. You can use a regular or a hypoallergenic filter.

Many Respironics machines use a mandatory washable foam filter, and have an optional disposable fine filter under the foam filter.

I purchased some hypo allergic filters before I traveled to the Philippines and I have noticed they become a dark colour very quickly.Is this normal for these filters or is this just a lot of dirt?

Chikorita

Post by Chikorita » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:19 pm

archangle wrote:Apart from the basic health benefits of filtering the air, there is concern for the "health" of the CPAP machine itself. There's no way to clean dust off of the fan and other bits inside the machine. A lot of air flows through a CPAP machine in its operational life. Think of how much fuzz and stuff builds up on a room fan, or an air conditioner filter and imagine all that stuff inside your CPAP machine.
Thank you. This makes perfect sense. My body can cope with a bit of dust but the machine can't filter itself or expel or trap dust.
I fully understand now.
I was thinking it was a human thing but forgot about the 'health' of the machine,

________

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 pm

ozze_dollar wrote:I purchased some hypo allergic filters before I traveled to the Philippines and I have noticed they become a dark colour very quickly.Is this normal for these filters or is this just a lot of dirt?
I suspect a bit of both. How quickly did you notice them becoming darker?

Useful Links.